How much does your dive gear weigh?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We used to run into the max limits with our checked luggage all the time also, and unless we shlepped more than one checked bag each, we got into trouble. My carryon is chock full of camera gear, and wifey has hers full of travel stuff. Then I got wind of the rule that allows for a SECOND carryon of a small personal item, which is interpreted as a camera, a laptop, a briefcase, OR A SMALL BACKPACK! We each wear a "small" backpack now which contains our regulators, masks, computers, a few clothing items, etc, and this has really freed up our checked bags to easily come in under the weight limits. And we have the basic essentials with us if the airline fumbles the checked luggage. Wish I had thought of this years ago!

rje634:
Just got back from Coz a few weeks ago. My gear was 32# and the hardshell suitcase is 14# so I was just under the wire.
On the way back I was told by the Continental staff in Coz that I was allowed 70# in a bag as long as there was only scuba equipment in the bag. So you may want to check with your carrier.

As far as weights I believe you'll find that most ops keep the weights on the boat. I don't know how the cenotes handle it.

I've got an Armor set that is a roller duffle and a back pack. Clip together for easy travel and come apart to check as two pieces. The total for both usually comes in at around 55-60lbs. Always a few lbs more on the way home since the gear is never completely dry.

I fly CO a few times a year to either Cancun or Cozumel. First Class allows 3 bags per person with max weight of 70lbs per bag. Coach is 2 bags each with max weight of 50lbs per bag. We've always been told (at the airport and on the phone) that SCUBA gear is treated as regular baggage and needs to meet the max weight restrictions. No exceptions. If a gear bag is over weight = $25/bag charge. Max weight per bag, even if charged for overweight, is 70lbs.

scubawife:
We've always been told (at the airport and on the phone) that SCUBA gear is treated as regular baggage and needs to meet the max weight restrictions. No exceptions. If a gear bag is over weight = $25/bag charge. Max weight per bag, even if charged for overweight, is 70lbs.

It all depends on the airline, as Im2Bent experienced with Alaska Airlines.

Virgin Blue in Australia has very stringent weight limits; 20 kg TOTAL for all your checked baggage, unless you pay full fare :11: However, I was able to save AUS$30 in overweight fees each way because one of my bags contained scuba gear (which BTW was 20 kg itself). Apparently "sports equipment" automatically counts as 5 kg's towards your total baggage weight allowance, regardless of actual weight, though you still have to abide by the piece restrictions.

At other airlines, sports gear including scuba gear is counted like any other piece of luggage.

RonDawg:
It all depends on the airline, as Im2Bent experienced with Alaska Airlines.

Virgin Blue in Australia has very stringent weight limits; 20 kg TOTAL for all your checked baggage, unless you pay full fare :11: However, I was able to save AUS$30 in overweight fees each way because one of my bags contained scuba gear (which BTW was 20 kg itself). Apparently "sports equipment" automatically counts as 5 kg's towards your total baggage weight allowance, regardless of actual weight, though you still have to abide by the piece restrictions.

At other airlines, sports gear including scuba gear is counted like any other piece of luggage.

Yes, it does. And that's always seemed ridiculous to me. rje634 was saying that Continental allowed 70lbs IF it included SCUBA gear. I do that trip a few times a year, always on CO and they have always insisted that SCUBA gear has to be part of the weight allotment. They don't have any additional weight allowed at no charge for gear. That was still the case this past Tuesday when we flew back. Since we upgrade most of the time the bags aren't a problem since first class comes with a 3 bags x 70lb allotment.

underachiever:
Did a test run last night for our upcoming trip. Got the wife to pre pack also. Dive bag came in at 46 lbs. So we are planning on a carryon each and a checked each. For 9 days. She is only taking one pair of shoes and her crocs. I am so proud of her.

We may pull a Dandy Don and purchase a coffe pot in Cozumel. Figure it will pay for itself. And donate it to the maid or similar.

Now I have to unpack for the whirlwind trip to the Keys this weekend. Need some practice before we go to Coz. Plan on doing Conch Reef and the Eagle.

If you are pushing the 50 lbs mark, make sure all your gear is dry. I weighed in once at 48 lbs. but, on the way back, I was at 53 lbs. Some people end up with some water in the bladder of their BC, don't forget that either.

Have a good trip.

WOODMAN:
We used to run into the max limits with our checked luggage all the time also, and unless we shlepped more than one checked bag each, we got into trouble. My carryon is chock full of camera gear, and wifey has hers full of travel stuff. Then I got wind of the rule that allows for a SECOND carryon of a small personal item, which is interpreted as a camera, a laptop, a briefcase, OR A SMALL BACKPACK! We each wear a "small" backpack now which contains our regulators, masks, computers, a few clothing items, etc, and this has really freed up our checked bags to easily come in under the weight limits. And we have the basic essentials with us if the airline fumbles the checked luggage. Wish I had thought of this years ago!
Continentals Luggage rules: clicky here

Yep, you're really allowed TWO CARRY-ONs: one can be a roll-on that fits the airlines limits for carry-on (Continental is 51 linear in or 130 cm: L+W+H; up to 40 lbs or 18 kg; different for Europe or Delhi) and the other a small personal bag, i.e. "one small personal article such as a briefcase, purse, day planner, small laptop computer, camera case, compact disk player or similar sized personal entertainment item
Plus: personal aid devices such as wheelchairs, braces, canes, crutches, prosthetic devices and walking sticks, provided passenger is dependent on them
And: one infant article such as a small collapsible stroller, a diaper bag or a government approved child seat (larger strollers can be checked in the jetway prior to boarding the aircraft)"
I don't think they're really gonna stop a lady for having a roll-on, laptop backpack, and a purse all three. Expect to gate check the roll-ons on Regional Jets and perhaps a full plane, so do not put fragile items like cameras in those.

Weights were on the boat when Blue Angel goes out, you don't need a weight bag. I have not done a cenote, but I can't imagine there not being weights on the other side, no one wants to pack all that weight along.
Depends on whom you do with. I went with Matt from Blue Angel, and he picked up the tanks over there, but had us bring our weights with us - and the water is around 72F, so you may well need to wear a thicker wet suit over there, yielding the same amount of lead you used with a lighter suit in warm salt water. Matt can probly provide a tote bag if needed for the weights; he carries the bags to the ferry dock in his little pickup; porters with large tricycles carry the bags to & from the ferry; then he takes you to the site in a van.

rje634 was saying that Continental allowed 70lbs IF it included SCUBA gear. I do that trip a few times a year, always on CO and they have always insisted that SCUBA gear has to be part of the weight allotment. They don't have any additional weight allowed at no charge for gear. That was still the case this past Tuesday when we flew back. Since we upgrade most of the time the bags aren't a problem since first class comes with a 3 bags x 70lb allotment.
I've heard of that, but I think it depends on the agent's misunderstanding of the rules. But as long as I stick to Cont, I get 2 - 70# limits anyway, so I don't worry. I just check in last with a companion so if he is overweight, he can move batteries etc to my bags. Except my bags are always a bit over 50# each, with my pony and the mini-dive store I like to take.

HOWEVER, if one needs more than the free baggage allowances, take it - pay the $25 each way on one bag. $2,000 trip and do without something 'cause you didn't want to pay $25 on luggage....?

underachiever:
WHen you folks mention small back pack. Do you refer to something like school kids use?
Our backpacks are about 16" long, 14" wide, and maybe 8"deep. That all depends on how full you cram them, of course. You see this kind of thing being sold just about everywhere, but be sure you get one that is tough enough to stand up to being dragged all over the world. I recommend a luggage shop to be sure you get one with decent zippers, good reinforcing, etc. We even had ours altered to include a chest strap (similiar to the arrangement on a BC) to help keep the darn things on our backs while dashing around airports.:wink: Amazing what you can get into one of these things....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom