How much weight am I carrying?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
As a warm water vacation diver, how much weight am I carrying on my back? I’m trying to get stronger and want to have a rough idea how much weight (as in weight lifting) I should work towards to climb up boat ladders more easily. That is an area I need work on.

So I know my current bc weighs about 7-8lbs, and I carry about 14 lbs of lead. I guess I need to add to that the weight of the tank...any guidance in finishing this calculation will be much appreciated.

I’m going to hazard a guess that I should work towards being able to carry 30lbs easily. And this is only for warm water diving...cold water diving is another story.

Am I thinking right?

Please excuse the error in my title. I’m on my iPhone and there’s no option to correct the title.

I'd recommend ungearing in the water. Exit with 5lbs of neoprene and a mask on you. There isn't much advantage to risking bodily injury carrying what's near your strength limits in unstable conditions.

For the weight of recreational gear as you described it: Maybe 60lbs. An al80 is around 35lbs full and everything is soaking wet.

For conditioning, doing stair climbing and squats etc. I'd want to be comfortable with an extra 50% at least because of post dive fatigue and the dynamics of a moving boat. So call it 100lbs for training. If you're intent on conditioning yourself to be able to haul yourself in full gear up a bucking dive boat ladder.

Myself, I take my kit off in the water when possible. I have nothing to prove and my back and knees thank me.

Regards,
Cameron

Sort of, an Al80 is around 31 lbs empty and sans valve. Then ya gotta add in yer reg 2 lbs. or so. Then remember when ya come out of the water yer wet. So it is more like 50 lbs in your case.

OMG that is much more than I thought! No wonder I struggle with it!

@northernone , I would love to ungear in the water and have someone haul my gear up for me, but other than Coz where that’s often done, I’ve found that in other places you’re kind of expected to haul your own a$$ out of the water and back onto the boat.

I’ve had a recent experience where I actually had to yell, “Can someone please give me a hand?”, where one DM either ignored me or didn’t hear me, and another came to my assistance only after I requested but it was obvious I was struggling. I don’t have anything to prove either but in certain locales assistance seems to be not as forth coming. So I thought I’d rely on myself.

OMG that is much more than I thought! No wonder I struggle with it!

@northernone , I would love to ungear in the water and have someone haul my gear up for me, but other than Coz where that’s often done, I’ve found that in other places you’re kind of expected to haul your own a$$ out of the water and back onto the boat.

I’ve had a recent experience where I actually had to yell, “Can someone please give me a hand?”, where one DM either ignored me or didn’t hear me, and another came to my assistance only after I requested but it was obvious I was struggling. I don’t have anything to prove either but in certain locales assistance seems to be not as forth coming. So I thought I’d rely on myself.

True, it certainly depends on the op, though establishing expectations (and rewards) first before the dive certainly helps. I've never known a DM to mind lending a hand if a diver needs a little help. It's quite chaotic getting everyone back in the boat sometimes so having the procedure discussed before hand can save confusion.

I just don't like seeing people get hurt or feel they can't dive because they aren't diving how "normal" divers do it.

I'll have a few days where every movement hurts and the pain prevents sleep if I come up a ladder with an al80 on my back. It's just not worth it. I can do it, but the toll on my body is too costly. That's not stopping me diving and my last dive was multiple cylinders and a scooter hauled through surf. Just don't ask me to do a ladder with a BM harness. We all are adaptive divers one way or the other.

All that said, improving physical health so we can dive longer and safer I fully support as possible.

Cheers,
Cameron

Definitely gotta ask those sorts of questions before you book. Small ops that might just have a captain on the boat may not be able to help you up the ladder if their policy is to have the DM stay in the water until all of the clients are on the boat. Then you're relying on other customers to help you out.

Figure 35 pounds give or take for tank/valve/reg. Let's call it 40 with your BCD dry. Plus your weights. Plus a couple pounds of fins. Plus any other stuff you're carrying. Now make it all wet. You're looking at 50-60lbs on the low end depending on how much weight you need. Start doing squats. Don't skip leg day!

@northernone , I’m going to take your advice and make sure to discuss this need for assistance before the dives so as to set proper expectations on both sides.

It's surprising what a big smile and 10$ can accomplish. : D

Even without the 10$ people are still kind and helpful.

I've removed my tank/weights in the water with 50+ ops so far and only had two which suggested the conditions weren't suitable and if I couldn't come up a ladder (with a DM on my tank supporting me even) it would be safest if I dove another day or site.

It causes some confusion because I'm visually healthy and fairly strong looking which is why the discussion first especially is needed. My dear friend is maybe 260lbs, elderly and has one leg... He doesn't need to announce his need for some assistance topside.

Anyway. Yes! Dive gear is heavy!!. All the best in your conditioning! Decades of diving ahead will thank you.

Cameron

Last edited:
I haven't come up a ladder with my gear on in years. Yes, I do have to discuss it upfront with some Operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom