How much $ would you charge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charging a fee to do a dive and perform work is considered commercial diving. As such, federal government regulations come into the picture including OSHA and the USCG if the body of water is navigable. The use of Scuba is highly restricted in these activities.

Example - There was an old wreck discovered with a large cash of silver. A group of tech divers worked out a deal to salvage the silver for a fee. Divers were doing Trimix dives and in water deco. The USCG learned of this endeavor and sent a cutter to pay a visit. The diving operation was shut down immediately for multiple violations. The tech divers eventually understood the real reason they were shut down - SAFETY.

The laws are not there to restrict people, but for safety. For those interested in doing dives for money, it would be advised to read the OSHA and USCG regulations as well as the standards manual from the Association of Diving Contractors.

SOmeone said:

*Example - There was an old wreck discovered with a large cash of silver. A group of tech divers worked out a deal to salvage the silver for a fee. Divers were doing Trimix dives and in water deco. The USCG learned of this endeavor and sent a cutter to pay a visit. The diving operation was shut down immediately for multiple violations. The tech divers eventually understood the real reason they were shut down - SAFETY.*

No, they were shut down due to the fact the gub'ment is greedy.
COast guard doesent care if someone drowns due to stupidity.
Do you honestly think that uncle sam is gonna let you take something and not collect tax on it? or charge you a fee for the permit?
I can assure you that the coast guard doesent care about the breathing mix you use, they only care about where you are doing it and what for.
Northeast divers use trimix all the time. the coast guard will not kick us off a wreck because we are doing in water deco. And most of our dive time is commited to deco.
-g

Read my original post...

"""Example - There was an old wreck discovered with a large cash of silver. A group of tech divers worked out a deal to salvage the silver for a fee. Divers were doing Trimix dives and in water deco. The USCG learned of this endeavor and sent a cutter to pay a visit. The diving operation was shut down immediately for multiple violations. The tech divers eventually understood the real reason they were shut down - SAFETY."""

For those who need further explanation...

These tech divers were in blatent violation of USCG Federal Diving Regulations as well as OSHA regulations for commercial diving operations -- neither set of regulations have anything to do with permits or taxes.

When you get PAID for doing a job underwater then you are a commercial diver and are subject to these regulations designed to protect workers.

The USCG fines didnt even cover the enforcement expense of sending a cutter out to investigate the report they received nor did they collect a tax or were there any permits involved.

Any form of scuba is highly restricted under these regulations, but the violations went beyond these restrictions against Scuba. In addition, they included not having a decompression chamber on site as is required for any commercial diving operation over 60 feet. There were other violations as well.

Do the regulations work,,,yes. Commercial Divers go deeper for longer period of times, yet somehow manage to have a far lower injury or death rate then Scuba. In one recent year, there was only one commercial diving fatality for the entire year in the Gulf of Mexico. For those unfamiliar,,,there is alot of oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico and alot of commercial diving done to support it.

For those with an interest, read

1. USCG Federal Diving Regulations
2. OSHA Diving Regulations
3. Consensus of Diving Standards by the Association of Diving Contractors International.

As a private individual,, you can dive anyway you want,,,,but get PAID for doing it and you have rules and regulations to know, understand and follow.

TX65 once bubbled...
Read my original post...

"""Example - There was an old wreck discovered with a large cash of silver. A group of tech divers worked out a deal to salvage the silver for a fee. Divers were doing Trimix dives and in water deco. The USCG learned of this endeavor and sent a cutter to pay a visit. The diving operation was shut down immediately for multiple violations. The tech divers eventually understood the real reason they were shut down - SAFETY."""

For those who need further explanation...

These tech divers were in blatent violation of USCG Federal Diving Regulations as well as OSHA regulations for commercial diving operations -- neither set of regulations have anything to do with permits or taxes.

When you get PAID for doing a job underwater then you are a commercial diver and are subject to these regulations designed to protect workers.

The USCG fines didnt even cover the enforcement expense of sending a cutter out to investigate the report they received nor did they collect a tax or were there any permits involved.

Any form of scuba is highly restricted under these regulations, but the violations went beyond these restrictions against Scuba. In addition, they included not having a decompression chamber on site as is required for any commercial diving operation over 60 feet. There were other violations as well.

Do the regulations work,,,yes. Commercial Divers go deeper for longer period of times, yet somehow manage to have a far lower injury or death rate then Scuba. In one recent year, there was only one commercial diving fatality for the entire year in the Gulf of Mexico. For those unfamiliar,,,there is alot of oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico and alot of commercial diving done to support it.

For those with an interest, read

1. USCG Federal Diving Regulations
2. OSHA Diving Regulations
3. Consensus of Diving Standards by the Association of Diving Contractors International.

As a private individual,, you can dive anyway you want,,,,but get PAID for doing it and you have rules and regulations to know, understand and follow.

If someone will take $100.00 to do something stupid, the government should allow it, as long as they put no one else at risk. I dunno, it seems like the government is making stupidity illegal, and I do not agree with that. (Somewhere, an attorney is pocketing his filthy lucre!) The kid who tries to jump a skateboard through a flaming hoop isn't supposed to survive. A lack of intelligence is not a good gene to protect.

Ahh, this is a big peeve, I'd better shut up.

PhotoTJ,

I have to disagree with you about letting people do something stupid. I do agree that it would be great to allow the Darwin Awards to claim another page for us to laugh at though.

You have to consider the other reprocussions to people doing stupid things.

1. Insurance rates go up - Diver gets in trouble doing something stupid, needs multiple chamber visits as a result. YOU and I pay for those visits through higher insurance costs.

2. Rescuer problems - How many times have you heard about where the rescue goes wrong...for whatever reason. They wouldn't have to be there if it weren't for that stupid diver. You have to remember that it is the rescuers JOB to help out, regardless of how stupid the person in need of help is.

These are just 2 reasons we need to have LAWS to prevent people from doing stupid things. They won't do it on their own, so unfortunately the government must step in and do it.

Personally, I wish all stupid people would go extinct today...but then I might not be around to enjoy tomorrow and so I will let OSHA and the US Coast Guard regulate those that need it.

Back
Top Bottom