How NOT to DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

norcaldiver

Reaction score
Couldn't decide if this should go in humor or DIY.....

From the Kansas City Star:

A Lee's Summit man nearly drowned Monday morning while trying to recover his keys at Longview Lake.

The Missouri Water Patrol gave the following account: The man, 54, used a garden hose as a breathing tube and jumped into the lake with a rope and a 20-pound anchor tied to his waist.

He went underwater once and came up without the keys. He went down a second time, lost the garden hose and ran out of breath.

A person on the surface realized something was wrong and pulled the man out with the rope. The victim was unresponsive for a short time but began breathing on his own. He refused medical treatment.

norcaldiver:

It should go under "Darwin was right, or culling the herd".

But that forum would get so crowded.

theskull

A Garden Hose?????

Could that be an alternative HP hose???? LOL

DIY all the way!!!!

norcaldiver:

A Lee's Summit man nearly drowned Monday morning while trying to recover his keys at Longview Lake.

The Missouri Water Patrol gave the following account: The man, 54, used a garden hose as a breathing tube and jumped into the lake with a rope and a 20-pound anchor tied to his waist.

He went underwater once and came up without the keys. He went down a second time, lost the garden hose and ran out of breath.

A person on the surface realized something was wrong and pulled the man out with the rope. The victim was unresponsive for a short time but began breathing on his own. He refused medical treatment.

Nice long hose. Dude, go to Home Depot and spring the $.65 and get some spares made.

Lets list this:

* No non-ditchable weight

* Hose of incorrect length (nice mouthpiece... OUCH - doubtless has nice grooved chicklets now)

* poor choice in exposure suit... banlon shorts and tall black socks

I could go on, but why...

Must be east of I-15.

K

Dive for keys nearly kills Mo. man
June 2, 2004

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man who nearly drowned when using a garden hose to breathe while he tried to retrieve his keys from a lake will make other attempt -- this time with a trained diver -- on Thursday.

Michael Hatfield, 54, of Lee's Summit, lost his car keys in Longview Lake on Memorial Day. The Missouri State Water Patrol said he used a garden hose to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom.

The entire incident was caught on home video.

Hatfield went under water once and returned to the surface without the keys. The video shows him searching without goggles in the murky lake water. On a second attempt, the garden hose slipped from his mouth. Hatfield, unable to breath, became disoriented, the water patrol said.

A spotter holding a rope tied to Hatfield pulled him to safety after sensing trouble.

Hatfield was not breathing and was unresponsive for a short time after he surfaced, but eventually he began breathing on his own. The water patrol said he refused medical treatment.

"I'm shaking now, thinking about what could have been," Hatfield told KCTV-TV, adding that some of the keys could not be duplicated.

"Keys can really be replaced," he said. "At the time, I did not think about that. It was really an embarrassment."

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2004/06/02/dive_for_keys_nearly_kills_mo_man/

Tiny Bubbles:
I would love to see that video.

Tiny Bubbles:
Dive for keys nearly kills Mo. man
June 2, 2004

Michael Hatfield, 54, of Lee's Summit, lost his car keys in Longview Lake on Memorial Day. The Missouri State Water Patrol said he used a garden hose to snorkel 30-feet below the surface, with a 20-pound boat anchor tied to his waist to help him reach the bottom.

Well, I'm sure that the McCoys are willing to buy a video of the Hatfields working on ending the feud for them. :wink:

Christian

I'd like to know how he was able to "snorkle" 30' with a garden hose. Its more likely to suck your lungs under that pressure....there is more to that story, or the reporter got it wrong.....you cant get more than a few feet down without the pressure restricting your breathing...I know because I tried that as a kid and got my tounge stuck in the hose.....hurt like hell.

norcaldiver:

I think the title should be... Hey Ya'll, Watch THIS!

and how does someone with a 20lb anchor tied to his waist surface and then descend again? I smell a $10,000 Funniest Home Video being 'made'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom