How often do most shops in your area require Nitrox tanks to be O2 cleaned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come on, Dan. Surely you are not so naive to believe that your tanks are 100% free of contaminants....ever. Besides, you're breaking the rules O2 cleaning your tanks without the cert to do it. :depressed:

Oh and that's "peace of mind," not "piece of mind." Piece of mind is what Phil got. :wink:

Most shops I have come across require annual cleaning of the tank and the valve. I also agree with Phil that ultraviolet light can not detect small enough amounts of contaminants. It is only good as a gauge in seeing that some exist not that none exist. $70 is high not to include VIP and a nitrox fill.

I clean my tanks and valves every year. It is not that hard and gives me piece of mind. I started doing this after witnessing enough "O2 cleaning" by a shop that sometimes never involved removing the valve only changing stickers. Oh and of course charging for it.

As I've stated in the past, anyone who doesn't look at the shops air test deserves whatever they get in the tank, not that a piece of paper guarantees good air.

Amen to that! :D

Well, I don't even know where to start......so, I will just leave this alone.
I'm sure you don't know where to start...you proved it earlier.

Were I you, I wouldn't depend on profiles on ScubaBoard to tell me much about the qualifications, skills, and experiences of a board member.
You're not, and I'm glad for that. If you do actually have some skills and qualifications you might want to put them on your profile. That's why we have them.

That can make you an asshat.
Asshat? ...snicker...snicker... That's funny...must be an Alabama thing.

Last edited:
You didn't take your meds today, did you?
By the way, your ASS is showing!
What? Are you from Alabama too? If so, you got the wrong state for you avatar, so I'm not surprised. You fellas ought to stop breeding amongst yourselves. Stay over there in your DIR forum and keep your tech opinions to yourself until you have some experience.

Good luck with your Adv. Nitrox and Deco course. Hopefully, your instructor will teach you something.

Last edited:
What gets interesting is when one company has several stores in town. A person goes into one shop of that company and gets a bad deal, he might think everyone of the shops is the same way & rightfully so. I talked to John Lindsey over at Scubaland on 620 & Anderson Mill today to see what his prices were for an O2 clean. The way he works it is if it's a new clean then both the valve and the tank gets cleaned and the tank gets filled for $75. That $75 includes the viz. After the initial clean it's only $50 for an O2 cleaning including the viz. If someone went into one of their shops and got told otherwise than raise h3ll with management so the issue gets fixed. It was either a dishonest employee or an honest mistake. Both can be fixed, one just needs a little more effort than the other.

My O2 for what it's worth. After spending too dang much on gear in the last month here in Austin I've found that getting good service seems pretty straight forward. If I'm south then Mack is the only guy I'll deal with, and for that matter he's really the only tech shop I'm interested in dealing with for training. If I'm north west than John over at Scubaland is the man for normal daily needs or for anything in the ScubaPro line. If I'm north central then I hit Tom's and talk to Warren, though Warren isn't a tech diver. Anyone who knows better than that then please correct me.

My O2 for what it's worth. After spending too dang much on gear in the last month here in Austin I've found that getting good service seems pretty straight forward. If I'm south then Mack is the only guy I'll deal with, and for that matter he's really the only tech shop I'm interested in dealing with for training. If I'm north west than John over at Scubaland is the man for normal daily needs or for anything in the ScubaPro line. If I'm north central then I hit Tom's and talk to Warren, though Warren isn't a tech diver. Anyone who knows better than that then please correct me.

This is correct concerning the current state of Austin scuba retail.

What is with all the non texans in the swamp divers forum anyway? Instead of having locals answer my question about the practices of dive shops in Texas I get people from all over arguing about the safety of various O2 cleaning practices.

~Jess

What is with all the non texans in the swamp divers forum anyway? Instead of having locals answer my question about the practices of dive shops in Texas I get people from all over arguing about the safety of various O2 cleaning practices.

~Jess

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom