How often do most shops in your area require Nitrox tanks to be O2 cleaned?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alright,
I have been trying to remain silent on this thread. I am not qualified to debate with any of you. Still, here are my two cents:

1) What was the original question? Something about frequency of O2 cleaning a tank? I still don't know the answer. I apologize to anyone who actually answered this question. I haven't read the first 8 pages of this thread. Sorry.

2) It sounds like Austin doesn't have a "tech" shop in the area. I am not going to bad mouth anyone here or promote anyone here (trying to remain, at least somewhat, neutral) but Arlington does have a tech shop that banks 32 and 36 EAN. Welcome to SI Scuba.

See. That was just two cents. :)

Yes. We have one shop up the road in Belton that has an osmosis system. Fills are not cheap but not much requirement for unnecessary expensive tank cleaning. I wonder why Austin has only PP blenders. I guess it must be because of that unpopular shallow mud-hole they call their local dive mecca. :D

Unless of course the owner is a butthead ... you know the type that grumbles at you for coming in for fills on a tank with a viz sticker that isn't from his shop?

I would expect no less. If I was filling tanks, there's no way I'd be dumping O2 into a tank that was cleaned by someone I don't know and/or trust.

Terry

I would expect no less. If I was filling tanks, there's no way I'd be dumping O2 into a tank that was cleaned by someone I don't know and/or trust.

Terry

So if I want a nitrox fill anywhere other than my local shop I need to pay for an O2 cleaning first? (We have already established a viz is not sufficient)

How many traveling divers will pay $60 for a fill?

EDIT: Maybe shops should just bank nitrox so they can fill any tank or just not bother with it?

So if I want a nitrox fill anywhere other than my local shop I need to pay for an O2 cleaning first? (We have already established a viz is not sufficient)

How many traveling divers will pay $60 for a fill?

The only opinion that matters belongs to the guy doing the fills.

I can tell you that our shop will simply refuse to do PP blending in any tank that was serviced by an an unrecognized O2 cleaning facility or that is suspected of being contaminated, regardless of who did the fill.

The profit on a $10 or $15 fill is insignificant when compared to killing the fill guy and destroying the shop, regardless of the personal annoyance or inconvenience for any individual customer.

Terry

I am still puzzled as to why no one dives 28EANx. Odd curiosity to me. If one believes that the PADI OW/AOW depth limit is 130ft, then there should be no reason why most shops should be delivering 28EANx. It would allow all OW/AOW divers dive to a depth of 130 ft. without exceeding the 1.4atm PPO2 limit. I still don't know why 28EANx isn't more popular.
Cent #3.

Edit: Just saw some typos in there. But I will leave as posted.

Speaking for myself, and only myself, I WOULD dive 28% if that's what was in my tank, and if it didn't cost any more than air, and if I didn't have to pay extra to keep my tank/valves O2 clean, etc. But 28%, IMO, doesn't really have much added benefit over air. At 134 feet on 28% (which, yes, would be above 1.4), EAD would still be 120 ft. To me, that's not really worth the extra cost/hassle, especially when I'm pinching pennies (saving for my Trimix class... and another computer... and another reg... and a trip to somewhere OTHER than Travis... yadda yadda yadda...).

Personally, I find nitrox a great option to have for certain dive profiles (or when diving a lot), but most of the time I don't use it unless there's a reason. That's partly because I don't want to have keep all my tanks & valves O2 clean all the time (I'm very careful about what goes in my O2 clean tanks) and partly because I don't want to pay the increased cost for every dive.

I imagine I'll be the same way with Trimix - another tool in the box, but to be used only when I think there's a good reason.

That's only my $.01, because I'm cheap...

From what I understand Mack at Oak Hill Scuba has filled some of the need but I have not been in there since he took over the shop and it is rather far away for me. I do not believe he banks though. Not that banking Ean makes a tech shop. I believe he can mix anything you want. Mack?

Yup ... Mack can take care of us PLUS he has the people to handle some of the tech training as well. If we could only get him to move in town from out there in the country :D

The only opinion that matters belongs to the guy doing the fills.

I can tell you that our shop will simply refuse to do PP blending in any tank that was serviced by an an unrecognized O2 cleaning facility or that is suspected of being contaminated, regardless of who did the fill.

The profit on a $10 or $15 fill is insignificant when compared to killing the fill guy and destroying the shop, regardless of the personal annoyance or inconvenience for any individual customer.

Terry

Terry is your LDS,,, Learn to SCUBA Dive in Syracuse with National Aquatic Service , if so this way I will know not to bother even stopping next time I am in that NY region for diving and need TMx/deco fills in my O2 clean cylinders. ??

Terry is your LDS,,, Learn to SCUBA Dive in Syracuse with National Aquatic Service , if so this way I will know not to bother even stopping next time I am in that NY region for diving and need TMx/deco fills in my O2 clean cylinders. ??

Dont be such a tightwad! It would only be $200 to get a set of doubles and 2 deco tanks cleaned. Either Do It Right or dont bother! :D

If dive shops are only going to fill tanks with their VIP sticker thats fair enough. Their house,their rules.

I do think that should be stated on a shops website though. Might be considered bait and switch otherwise.

Personally, I find nitrox a great option to have for certain dive profiles (or when diving a lot), but most of the time I don't use it unless there's a reason. That's partly . . . .

Joanna,
Please help me out here. I am just curious. btw, I am nitrox certified.
I am still trying to figure out why I would ever want to dive some EANx mix. Now mind you, I am not tech tri-mix certified so I am not talking about deco stops or travel gasses or anything like that. I am talking about a single Al-80 strapped to my back for one complete dive.

I know what the theory says. Reduced N2 loading, etc, etc, etc means "faster" off-gassing on the surface which translates to quicker surface intervals before the next dive. Theory also says increased O2 content means somewhat restricted bottom depth. Maybe that's a problem; maybe that's not.

The problem I have is this: I don't think I have ever been a on dive excursion (CSSP, Travis, Cozumel, Bonaire, etc) where I said "Dang! Had I been diving Nitrox I could grab that next boat dive in 5 minutes. No I can't do that. I have to off-gas for another 20 minutes." I have never once had that incident be a restriction to my diving activities. Go figure. So, what's the 'practical' advantage to Nitrox? What profiles should I be diving that will really exemplify a need for Nitrox? That's my question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom