How often do you replace mushroom valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mr_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Howdy,

My mushroom valves seem to be doing quite well after 200 hours on the unit. I check the DSV periodically and maintain it as required. Everything checks out. I am wondering if I am playing with fire by not replacing the valves at some interval. What do you do?

Thank you!

Annually, cheap and very important component in preventing hypercapnia

Do a stereo check every build and thoroughly inspect when you service and clean your DSV. I only replace when needed and always keep a spare set of mushroom valves in my "Save a Dive" kit.

I'll probably get chastised for saying this (because it's the Internet) but I replace them when they start looking bad, questionable or if they fail a stereo check. I do a stereo check every build; I see people skip this a lot. This usually means I replace them when a do a full DSV rebuild which seems to be every 2-2.5 years or so.

The old-school Draeger mushroom valves were notorious for shrinking and folding however the newer blue mushroom valves that rEvo uses seem to last much much longer. The ones in my Golem/IQSub BOV/DSVs seem to hold up well.

@macado - yeah, that's kind of my philosophy. I always do stereo checks and inspect the valves. The blue ones have been holding up quite well. I am surprised that you do a full DSV rebuild every 2-2.5 years. It is yearly for me with the stock rEvo DSV.

@macado - yeah, that's kind of my philosophy. I always do stereo checks and inspect the valves. The blue ones have been holding up quite well. I am surprised that you do a full DSV rebuild every 2-2.5 years. It is yearly for me with the stock rEvo DSV.
I'm using a DiveSoft DSV on my rEvo and my other rebreather has IQSub BOV. Admittedly, I dive my rEvo less than my Defender. I keep a backup loop (hoses/connectors/spare DSV) ready for any issues on a trips.

2-2.5 years is for a complete rebuild. I do take them apart, inspect, clean the orings and re-lube them more frequently but it's not a complete DSV/BOV rebuild.

Hmm speaking of the newer blue mushroom ones - anybody has an idea how they compare vs Dive Rite "default" ones? That is if they even fit...

I replace them when they leak on stereocheck - assuming its not a goober in there. I have not found new ones to be any more reliable than used ones TBH.

I replace them when they leak on stereocheck -
Me too. I do the check, per the checklist before every dive. I do the checklist before every dive.

Do a stereo check every build and thoroughly inspect when you service and clean your DSV. I only replace when needed and always keep a spare set of mushroom valves in my "Save a Dive" kit.

I'll probably get chastised for saying this (because it's the Internet) but I replace them when they start looking bad, questionable or if they fail a stereo check. I do a stereo check every build; I see people skip this a lot. This usually means I replace them when a do a full DSV rebuild which seems to be every 2-2.5 years or so.

The old-school Draeger mushroom valves were notorious for shrinking and folding however the newer blue mushroom valves that rEvo uses seem to last much much longer. The ones in my Golem/IQSub BOV/DSVs seem to hold up well.
Same. You're not nuts. Or when I send my bov in for service they just do it as standard (Divesoft)

1. Stereo check before every dive.
2. Replacement with service interval (2 years). Saving couple of euros not worth the risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom