How Old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverken374

Contributor
Reaction score
2.5 hrs north of Toronto, Ont., Canada/Cozumel
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just read a new members post. New ow diver age 60 plans to dive another 10 years. I realize that this is a very open ended question and is like determining how long you should drive, however how old do you plan to dive....most of us forever or how old are you and still diving? How old is the oldest diver you have met?K

Why ask?

Until I stop.

N

I dove with a 72 year old woman when I was diving out in Halifax 2 years ago. She appreciated a little extra help but she was a good diver from there. She says she dives less than before but was not stopping yet.

And I am with Nemrod on this one. I plan on being the object of the story when someone is answering this question 30 years from now (no doubt still on ScubaBoard)...."I dove with this xx year old guy...."

I regularly meet divers in their 70s here on Grand Cayman. Divers in their 80s are not unheard of.

I plan to dive until they pry my double-hose reg from my cold, dead hands ...

Met a gentleman on the Nekton a few years ago....he was around 79-80. Needed a little help getting in and out of the water, but then again, with those steel tanks, so did I!

Believe it or not I spearfish regularly with a guy who is 83 and still instructs on a limited basis. He knows his limitations and I think that is what keeps him going. Strong as an ox, still works out with wieghts 3 time a week. I just hope I am able to do the same when I am his age. Oh yeah there is one other thing, he can get pretty cranky at times but we just overlook it,

I certified a number of people in their 60's when I was instructing.

I plan to be diving until I can't safely get in/out of the water. Also getting tossed around on a bouncing deck will probably narrow my choices of where I will be able to dive safely as I age out. Like most have stated, ... they will have to pry my regulators from my cold, dead lips :crafty:

Hmmm well I know that the gentleman who certified me as an instructor, a fellow named Hal Watts, dove the Lusitania....to celebrate his 70th birthday.

Am 64, DM at 59, did over 300 dives last year, will do over 200 this year. Carrying the tanks causes a little pain but I plan on diving until............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom