How should we do Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am also looking into a trip to grand cayman either christmas or new years week. I have never been, however from what I have found online it looks terrific. How does the diving compare to other Caribbean destinations? The readily available tec charters are very appealing to me. I also would like to know if driving around the island is very time consuming? Should the traffic and commute times play into where I stay on the island?

I have two thumbs up for Jim Soda of Seasports. 8 or less divers and always finds a great spot. He also picks you up from the beach. As a local he loves to give excellent recomendations on dining and activities.

I could do the turtle farm reef every day for a shore dive. Doing that in the afternoon for best light followed by a cocktails and dinner on the patio of the cracked conch.......
That is also a great spot for night dives.

For such a small island it can take all day to drive around and explore. It is worth it.

Cayman can be pricey but some of the best dining is not the most expensive or touristy. I do like being closer to everything so I'd have to recomend staying in the SMB area. My wife likes the luxury beach resorts but their are some less expensive alternatives. One I'd love to see is Plantation Village. The idea of having a kitchenette and not eating out 3 meals a day is a plus in my books.

Don't miss Chicken Chicken for take out.....mmmmm

We were just in GC, and just made plans to go back for Christmas! Keep us posted if you make it down there. We will be there 12/17-29.

I've finally decided to book Grand Cayman. My question is, what's the best way to experience the island and the diving?

We love to explore, but Compass Point seems like such an easy option. Apparently they rinse your gear every day, offer two tank dives, etc. It's super pricey though, and I don't want to spend the $$ if we are going to want to drive around the island and shore dive on our own time. Plus, their packages don't include the night/wreck dive deals, and I would definitely want to experience those as well, adding another huge chunk of change on the package.

We're not super crazy, 4-5 dives a day type of vacationers. We find ourselves keeping it to 2 dives a day, and then experience the islands in our off time.

Advice? Dive resort or stay at a regular hotel?

Hi,

I apologize for responding so tardily, but we were off diving!

Our experience with Grand Cayman with regard to diving was somewhat neutral. Cayman Brac was, on the other hand, excellent. However, as a general vacation site, Grand Cayman is much more diverse. Shops, restaurants, etc. abound on GC. Scuba abounds on CB!

One thing to consider is whilst on GC is Stingray City. It can be done using scuba gear or snorkel gear. If you are an UW photographer, scuba probably makes more sense. Of course, this is not a "natural dive" because the rays are inticed to the site by the lure of food. So, some purists object to that. However, we found them to be so beautiful and in such up-close abundance, we forgot to be "green" for one dive.:)

joewr...this space is still for rent, lease or, in an emergency, it can be obtained for free....

The best shore diving on Grand Cayman is all located in West Bay at Cobalt Coast Resort and Lighthouse Point.

Divejay, I assume you work for DiveTech (owners of Cobalt Coast & Lighthouse Point)? It would help if you would say so in your posts about the "best" shore diving. After all, shore dives such as Turtle Reef, Babylon, Eden Rock & Sunset Reef (to name just 4) are at least as highly regarded as those 2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom