How small is your SAC?

What is your SAC rate?

• Below 0.30 cu ft/min (I have the lungs of a mouse)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 0.30 - 0.39 cu ft/min

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • 0.40 - 0.49 cu ft/min

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • 0.50 - 0.59 cu ft/min

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • 0.60 - 0.69 cu ft/min

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 0.70 - 0.79 cu ft/min

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 0.80 cut ft/min or above (Mr Balloon Lungs)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • What is a SAC rate?

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm usually between a .58 and a .62 scfm. Which I thought was fairly respectible. Then I got a new dive buddy; a fairly petite female who is a .32 scfm. Ugh! I'm curious to see if using a dedicated inflation bottle for my drysuit make any noticeable difference.

What next? See who can pee the farthest?

While knowing SAC rate is useful and comparing it over time helps track imrpovement for newer divers, comparing it person to person is a totally useless endeavor.

After acheiving all possible efficiencies in breathing technique, SAC rates will still vary greatly person to person, based on size, weight, metabolism, dive style and regional differences in dive conditions.

Who has the lowest SAC rate? Some 110 pound, even tempered, type B personality woman, who drift dives in mild current in the tropics.

Don't judge this by the tone, it's just that I don't get it. I think SAC rate is another one of those things not worth bragging about or comparing.

BTW- betcha mine's lower than yours

Last edited:
Dang....ole Don's a party pooper........... :mooner:

I have a huge sac!

No really I have a huge sac rate difference :D When I'm alone or with a very familiar buddy I'm in the .54 range, when I'm with students it shoots up to .7s - .8s and I usually settle by the second dive in the .6 range.

Wiz

If the water is COLD, my SAC gets really small and wrinkled, but usually, if the water is just right my boys are hanging.

With a DPV your RMV normally falls to its most efficient low level. For me that is 0.5 cu ft / min. And your travelling speed underwater becomes a whopping 50 yards(metres) per minute.

Without a DPV it all depends on the ocean conditions, current, etc. And in 1 min you barely move forward at all.

The solution is obvious.

Stop diving without a DPV.:eyebrow:

What next? See who can pee the farthest?

While knowing SAC rate is useful and comparing it over time helps track imrpovement for newer divers, comparing it person to person is a totally useless endeavor.

After acheiving all possible efficiencies in breathing technique, SAC rates will still vary greatly person to person, based on size, weight, metabolism, dive style and regional differences in dive conditions.

Who has the lowest SAC rate? Some 110 pound, even tempered, type B personality woman, who drift dives in mild current in the tropics.

Don't judge this by the tone, it's just that I don't get it. I think SAC rate is another one of those things not worth bragging about or comparing.

BTW- betcha mine's lower than yours
I doubt it.
Of course I am *almost* one of those divers you profiled with the low SAC rate. I am female, a bit over 110, under age 50, even tempered, who thinks drift diving can be streneous.. can you say very slow underwater?? :D

I doubt it.
Of course I am *almost* one of those divers you profiled with the low SAC rate. I am female, a bit over 110, under age 50, even tempered, who thinks drift diving can be streneous.. can you say very slow underwater?? :D

He is right, though.

Simply put, females of all species on the planet are designed by Nature for efficiency. They are the more efficient creatures in everything they do.

Males are instead designed for strength and combat. And this is inefficent, although a necessary evil, if Nature be any guide.

My SAC varies a lot. Usually first dives at new locations/areas is noticeably higher than the following dives. It also varies with waters. What matters most to me is that I have a good dive..

Without checking my log I know that Ive had dives in the .60s as well as the .90s probably averaging in the .70s assuming my maths been done right. If it havent its the same error on all the dives which means I can still use my log as a pointer as to how my sac changes..

Back
Top Bottom