How small is your SAC?

What is your SAC rate?

• Below 0.30 cu ft/min (I have the lungs of a mouse)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 0.30 - 0.39 cu ft/min

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • 0.40 - 0.49 cu ft/min

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • 0.50 - 0.59 cu ft/min

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • 0.60 - 0.69 cu ft/min

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 0.70 - 0.79 cu ft/min

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 0.80 cut ft/min or above (Mr Balloon Lungs)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • What is a SAC rate?

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consistent dives at 26' for work. 0.55 low activity, 0.85 high activity - same gear. I didn't see a great drop of air consumption going to my drysuit from my 7mm FJ wetsuit (50-52F water temp avg).

For me I think the wetsuit shiver factor for air consumption becomes more of an issue on 3rd/4th dive of day. I also probably burn too much air in my suit keeping things fluffy. I like my feet a teeny bit floaty for warmth. I probably need to improve my 1st layer especially arms and chest.

Let's see, I compared a very leisurely dive of the Benwood wreck to a very exhausting shore dive off Dania Beach.

Benwood: .46

Dania Beach: .89

I'll stick to wreck diving for now. :D

I only used 4 to 5 cuft of gas per hour of diving at 10ft or 200ft is that a good SAC rate.:D Seriously on OC I'm between .5 and .6 which is not bad.

Cheers

Al

Yeah. Agree. Fun to brag about, but in the end it really has no bearing on whether one is a good diver or not, or their level of skill. Though when bottom time is not a factor (I do a lot of shallow diving) it is more fun for me to have somebody who can stay down as long, whether it be low SAC or big tank.

There is a slight trade off that works both ways.

I can lug twin 130s. I have never met a woman who can do that. Nor would I want to.

And with the twin 130s I can stay down as long as any woman with any tank(s).

Now, a woman with a lite weight CCR can still beat me, of course.:eyebrow:

Hmmm,

SAC rate changes dynamically with output. If I take my SAC resting at say, 20' it is much different when I exert energy at even 10'.

A challenging dive will give a different SAC rate than a non-challenging dive.

A deep challenging dive will give a different SAC rate than a deep non-challenging dive...
===

Honestly, SAC rate differs on "EVERY SINGLE DIVE" based on a chaos theory of information...

0.35cfm just hanging around watching something.
0.4-0.45 cfm doing a 1/2 knot putter-around-the-reef.
0.5 to 0.6 doing a 1 knot transit.

More specifically, this morning's dive was 53 minutes, 1400psi out of an AL80, average depth about 30', water temp 78, 3/2 full wetsuit + beanie, out to the turtle cleaning station and the 45' patch reefs at Ulua. This calculates out as a bit under 0.7cfm actual consumption at depth; a bit under 0.4cfm/ata SAC if the average depth is 25'.

I haven't figured it out the way my one instructor friend suggested, but according to my dive log software, I'm averaging between .60 and .70 on a fairly consistent basis.

Gas consumption at home, in cold water, is more in the low to mid .4's. I don't know why cold water raises my gas consumption, but it does.

As far as I know, everyone's air consumption goes up in colder conditions. Even with the proper insulation. The proper insulation helps you feel warm and reduces heat loss, but as long as there is a large temperature gradient, there will be a large heat flow.

From a simple engineering perspective more heat flow requires burning more fuel to maintain the temperature (and burning more fuel requires more air/ oxygen). Even in very low effort activities, it is typical to be tired and energy depleted after long exposure to any cold or windy condition (what is a "long exposure" is relative to temperature and conduction/ convection media, as in water).

I realize the human body is far more complicated, but the same basic physical principles tend to apply.

It would be helpful to know the average depth at which some of these SAC rates were achieved otherwise a pointless measurement by itself.

It was pointed out long ago that the Poll is flawed but it is fun to play along anyways. After all you are getting a pretty wide spectrum of involvement (divers with 25 to divers with 2500).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom