How tight do you put valve on tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good morning,
I recently purchased a Argon System for my drysuit. Its in the process of being shipped. Just wondering its a 14cf tank and its just had its hydro and Vis completed. They say it will be shipped with the valve Hand tight. How tight do I need to tighten the valve and whats the best way? Any help will be appreciated

DavidHickey:
Good morning,
I recently purchased a Argon System for my drysuit. Its in the process of being shipped. Just wondering its a 14cf tank and its just had its hydro and Vis completed. They say it will be shipped with the valve Hand tight. How tight do I need to tighten the valve and whats the best way? Any help will be appreciated

Most call for 50 foot pounds plus or minus 10 foot pounds. The reality is that the oring provides the seal and if it is tight enough to hold gas, it is tight enough.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

Take the valve off when you get it and use some silicone lube on the threads and o ring.

Put the valve back on....hand tight. You can feel it. To remove it for a visual you should be able to take the plams of your hands with the tank between your legs and "wap" the valve off easily....no wrench required.Your scuba tanks should be the same way. BTW...crystolube is a good choice of lube as well.

Ron

I am not a fan for lubing the tank threads or o-ring,,,,being kept clean is plenty,,,,a few light taps with a rubber mallet will set the valve, gas pressure will do the rest.

To lube or not to lube: that is the question. O-Rings work best with an incredibly light touch of grease. No, lighter than even that. If you can see it, it's too much. If you can't feel it, then just a bit more. Are you SURE you can't feel it? Wash your hands and be sure. :D

I spent four years working for the University of Florida's Cryotech lab in the Chemistry Department helping them to create and nurse the world's largest super-con magnet (within 8 months it was the world's SECOND largest super con magnet) for hydrogen spectroscopy. Working with vaccuums that went to 10 -4 torr, I learned about O-Rings the hard way. :D Some one pass the "Seal-Torr"!

texdiveguy:
I am not a fan for lubing the tank threads or o-ring,,,,being kept clean is plenty,,,,a few light taps with a rubber mallet will set the valve, gas pressure will do the rest.

First time you have to remove a valve that has galvanized to the tank you will rethink not using lube.

If you use a wrench and a light tap with a mallet, you can actually feel the o-ring seat.

Yes, Cristolube, just a tiny bit along the threads to prevent the dissimilar metals from touching.

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom