How to build or refresh skills if we only dive the tropics once-twice a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FT:
OK: step one, call the local dive shops, see how much they will rent to us (all I own that would be useful here is a prescription mask, compass and computer; I remember calling around once to look for rental dry suits and apparently this is not a thing). Go along for an easy dive -- we have seen people in Centeen Park all the time, and it's true not ALL of them were in dry suits . . .
Last time I rented gear (about a month ago), it was $40 (US) to rent a BCD, octopus/regulator, tank and weight belt. And the dive shop brought their compressor, and offered "all you can breathe" refills for $50. So it was $90 to dive all day.

If temperature is an issue, though, look for a quarry/lake next to a power plant. The heated water dumped from the power plant can drastically raise the overall water temp. For example, most of the dive shops in my area use Mt. Storm Lake, which people often dive without wetsuits (its that warm). Last time I was there, the air temp was 70 degrees Fahrenheit . . . but the water was 93. It felt like diving someone's bath tub. So ask around - you probably have something similar in your area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom