How to carry safety gear w/o BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are headed to Mexico for some more diving. Question is this... DH does not have a BC yet, he chose other options (computers etc.) over the BC since he is easy to fit. (Of course he wants one... but you know... gear is a bit at a time!).

So my question... without having a BC to set up with your safety gear (Knife, mirror, SMB, whistle)... what is the best way to carry it?? Thanks so much for all the great suggestions! :) (I have such faith in SB members) :D

Pockets on wet/drysuit.

If you dont own your own suit by one of the strap-on thigh pockets that Bowstone, diverite and others sell.

He has a wetsuit... so that might be just the thing... does it glue on... does it really stick????

so what is best best... a glue on one or a thigh strap one???

AmyJ:
so what is best best... a glue on one or a thigh strap one???
Glue on. A lot of people don't seem to like the thigh strap ones. I would recommend x-shorts but they don't make them anymore.

~Jess

Isn't he going to rent a BC?

ya, he will rent one... but they usually hand it to you on the boat just before going in the water... doesn't give you alot of time to stow gear... and you don't know what they will have available for pockets or d rings... usually not much.

Hmm.... you dont't get to fit/try out the BC before you are on the water and ready to go? Sounds dodgy to me. But, alas, if this is procedure, make the best of it.

Bring all the safety gear with you and hope for the best. You can stick on some pockects (I glued AND sewed) on wetsuits. But if not possible, I am pretty sure most BC's have some pockets. Seems fairly standard. Or make sure that all things you bring have a snap, there are usually two chest D-rings and often one or two 'belt, side pocket ' rings as well. Just dont bring more than you need:

Knife (can be mounted somewhere else than BC)
SMB and spool (if you have an SMB with bungee, all can be made into a neat little package and clipped off of a chest D-ring)
mirror/wistle. Either clip off, or tuck into pocket/in wetsuit.

Can someone give me a link to the glue on pocket and the glue so I am sure I am getting the right thing??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom