How to chose instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl:
I understand that there are exceptions to everything, and that this is not the only indication.

However, in an environment where experience is often professed and not logged, I would rather see proof of experience. In most cases, an instructor with more certs is more experienced than an instructor with less certs, especially if there is a wide range of courses taught.

This info sheet worked great for me as a manager of a store, when dealing with new instructors wanting a job. I had one individual (extremely arrogant) who wanted to take the tech side of teaching for the facility by storm, blah blah he's so experienced...yet had less than 4 nitrox certs and wanted to teach trimix.

More than anything, checking the certifications count shows honesty.

I disagree. The instructors that I know who certify the most students are the worst instructors. They are experience in herding large groups in and out of the water very quickly and having the paper work finished before noon on the second day but since their students dive so poorly I'd say that they don't have any experience at all teaching diving. The quantity of work done doesn't mean anything without a measure of quality.

When I was considering hiring an instructor to teach for me, I used to watch them teach while we co-taught a class or two.

My point exactly ... how long you've been teaching might be a good measure of your ability and desire to teach, but number of certifications really isn't.

As a new instructor, I recognize I have a great deal to learn ... but no matter how long I teach or how much I learn you will never see me teaching a class of 20 students ... you simply cannot teach that many people anything of value in the alotted time.

I would prefer an instructor who emphasizes quality over quantity ... one who limits class size to 4 or 6 students per class and who's emphasis is on providing more than just the minimum required curriculum.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

How about, ask about number of certifications is fine, but correlate it with the length of time teachnig, so you have a true figure as to the rate with which the instructor sets new divers free underwater. An instructor pumping out hundreds of new certs per year may not be a better choice than one who does dozens - but by the same token if the instructor has only produced 5 divers per year on average over his 8 years teaching, does he really have the experience you're looking for?

Something else that hasn't been brought up yet (I think) - does the instructor still dive outside the classroom? If the instructor only gets in the water when coaching students, is he allowing his own (non-teaching) skills to become rusty?

Also ask about the instructors non-teaching diving. A good instructor is usually some one who is also diving out side of and beyond what they're teaching.

Although I can see your thinking in warm water locations, I guess this different in different areas of the world.

And the above post is right (although cert counts will say how long the member has been teaching) - cert counts when compared to time, is important, and an instructor who is well rounded Vs. a bazillion OW makes a difference too.

I never co-taught, or took a chance that the instructor would do / say something idiotic while with REAL students, until I knew that the instructor was honest about his / her experience. The count was useful to back up what was said in the interview, and what was on the resume. Different than your way...but it was just another screen before they even saw a client.

Hi JD,

Around here, Liburdi's is a pretty good place. They're on Bristol between work and South Coast Plaza.

Walter:
I'd shy away from instructors with lots of certifications.

Now, I really need that one explained to me.

I recently went looking for a lazer eye surgeon, and wanted the best. So I shyed away from the Dr. who did the most in my city - I wanted a rookie!

I want to sue too, and wanted the attorney who'd won the least amount of cases - gotta shy away from the ones who've represented a lot of clients.

I wanted to learn how to skydive - I think I'll shy away from the instructor whose taught the most courses!

Now, barring an instructor who violates standards by taking "20 divers" (and I know there are instructors like that, but lets just say in this example they're not...

Why on earth would anyone advise someone who is looking to do a course to "shy away from an instructor with a lot of certifications"? Is diving bizarro land, where less is more, and the above examples are so different?

Help me understand why this is a reasonable statement.

It is a reasonable statement because those instructors with high numbers have large classes and run them through as fast as possible. I wouldn't want an instructor who cares more about numbers than about doing the job correctly.

I recently went looking for a lazer eye surgeon, and wanted the best. So I shyed away from the Dr. who did the most in my city - I wanted a rookie!

Maybe not a rookie, but would you prefer an experienced surgeon who took his time with you or one who did 50 surgeries every day?

Walter:
It is a reasonable statement because those instructors with high numbers have large classes and run them through as fast as possible. I wouldn't want an instructor who cares more about numbers than about doing the job correctly.

Maybe not a rookie, but would you prefer an experienced surgeon who took his time with you or one who did 50 surgeries every day?

Neither. I'd find one exactly the way that I suggested to this individual.

How long has this individual been practicing? How many surgeries has he done? What continuing education has he completed? What do his clients say about him? Etc.

Although there are "cattle classes", this should be explained to the original poster, and that it is a GROSS blanket statement to suggest that an instructor with a decent amount of experience teaching a wide variety of courses is someone to "shy away from".

The original poster was looking for advice, and I don't think your statement was accurate or of any use to them, without an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom