How to clean HDG tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea_Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently acquired an old PST 3500psi tank with fresh hydro (4/24) --- traded tank-for-tank for an Al80 with good hydro (09/23)....fair deal?

This old PST tank has some remnants of other people's names on the top. Since it is hot-dipped galvanized, does anyone have recommendations on products I can safely use to clean everything up? Additionally, has anyone created stencils for their name/initials and used high-temp spray paint to mark the tanks? Thinking of going this route.

Thanks for any & all info.

I use a sharpie or Paint Pen to mark my tanks not normally a big deal as my tanks are rarely out of my possession but it helps identify at hydro time. I use a sharpie to mark nitrox % on my tanks when I dont have tape available and it wipes off with acetone.

I typically use this on my HDG and AL brushed no-coat tanks: Pro Strength Remover - Goof Off

All of my tanks are marked with a simple sharpie. I need to go over the writing maybe once every couple of years.

Recently acquired an old PST 3500psi tank with fresh hydro (4/24) --- traded tank-for-tank for an Al80 with good hydro (09/23)....fair deal?
Depends. Both my PST HP80 (3,500 psig) and my PST HP100 (3,500 psig) are a bit too negative for me to dive safely in fresh water if I am wearing no wetsuit or my O'Neill 3/2 jumpsuit wetsuit. I don't know if this is the case for me for salt water, though.

Maybe this applies to you, too.

P.S.: An old-school PST 72 (71.2 cu ft at 2,250 + 10% psig) is perfect for me for this, though. About 20 years ago I traded a still-new (i.e., original hydro was still good) Luxfer Al80 for a PST 72 (manufactured in 1970). I still own this 72. It is my favorite cylinder for moderate-depth, recreational diving in a wetsuit, in MO/AR freshwater lakes.

rx7diver

Acetone on a rag will normally remove paint pen and sharpie from the tanks.

I have paint stencils with my name, but I don't use it on tanks as they seem to turn over too often.

I usually use acetone since I have it on hand, but @Divin'Papaw 's Goof-Off may be a good option as well.

ETA: @Tracy beat me to it. I have to remember to refresh when I get distracted in a conversation...

Back
Top Bottom