Question How to communicate with a panicked diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To anyone who has dealt with situations involving a panicked diver, how did you communicate with them (or vice versa, how did you communicate your problem to a buddy)?
IMO, you did well. You recognized that something was off, and went over to help.

There is a course for this. By your dive count, you may need some more dives to take it, but put it on your list. Rescue, Stress & Rescue, or something of the sort is what you are looking for. It’s intended to teach you how to recognize problems in yourself and other divers and respond to them.

As always, courses depend on the instructor, but most everyone that’s taken this course recommends it. In the course I took, we only knew that our “victim” was going to have a problem. We had to figure out what it was and help. It could have been out of air, an overinflated BC, missing fins, or anything. We had to figure it out and help. The instructor continually threw in surprises to deal with. One constant thought was looking at the divers eyes. They will tell the story, and if the diver is not in full blown panic, locking eyes with another diver can help to calm them down. At least they know they aren’t alone.

During the academic portion of the course, my instructor used an example that was very familiar to me. He told of a diver rescue a few years ago. He used it as an example of what you shouldn’t expect. It was familiar because it happened on a dive for a Deep cert I took. We had to rescue a diver, and everything ran smoothly. Everyone did what they were supposed to. Another instructor at the site actually commented to his students that we were doing a Rescue course. He didn’t realize that it was a real rescue at the time.

This wasn't an outright "panic," it was the onset of panic. He was probably a minute away from becoming fully panicked.

I had a GoPro on my head at the time; watching it back, the entire interaction was ~15 seconds. Curious you mentioned eye contact, I didn't notice how hard he was locked onto my eyes.

I'd intended to do Rescue at some point regardless of the path I take with diving, but I think this cements my decision. I'd rather know than not know.
A similar situation took me from open water to rescue in the course of about a month. Good job recognising a problem, and a good rescue course will answer a lot of the questions of, "What do I do if ___?" before they ever arise. You've got enough dives to take SDI rescue right now, even if you don't have an advanced cert...

+1 for rescue. Great for everyone IMO. While we may approach with the best intentions, someone panicking could have been quite irrational grabbing at your primary or flailing around knocking off your mask, disconnecting hoses or who knows.

While courses are never 100 percent at preparing one for emergencies, I think it gives you the knowledge and the techniques to approach someone in or about to panic, how to recognize it, when and how to engage etc. Very worthwhile.

It was one of the most rewarding courses we took. We had a great instructor. The day-of it was stormy with 3-5 footers and we thought he'd cancel for sure. He said no: it's never flat and sunny when you have to rescue someone, this is perfect weather !! (To be fair, we did have well over 100 dives and were used to getting on the boat in rough conditions, which he knew). He then proceeded to have all his friends on and off the boat feign death in various ways sending us off to save them. We were exhausted at the end but really felt proud of the accomplishment.

Ask around though, because rescue seems to be very instructor dependent. Hopefully you find an instructor that will challenge you and you'll get the most out of it.

I recently joined a buddy (and his cousin) on a charter out of Jupiter, and on the second dive I noticed a diver following us looking a bit panicked. I hung back from my group and kept an eye on him briefly, until I noticed there were way too many bubbles coming from him (at which point I swam over). When I tried to signal "are you ok?" to them, he gestured behind him at his tank.

He was ok, he told me on the dock afterward that me "stopping by" let him take a deep breath and follow his training. There was a leak in his first stage and he was suddenly at 700 psi after ~15ish mins. But thinking back, if it wasn't as obvious as it was that the issue was a leak, what help could I have been besides offering my octo?

To anyone who has dealt with situations involving a panicked diver, how did you communicate with them (or vice versa, how did you communicate your problem to a buddy)?

A similar situation took me from open water to rescue in the course of about a month. Good job recognising a problem, and a good rescue course will answer a lot of the questions of, "What do I do if ___?" before they ever arise. You've got enough dives to take SDI rescue right now, even if you don't have an advanced cert...
Excellent move ‘Brother Diver’ more divers SHOULD really know what to do and start a hand ’signal communique’ before the what I call ‘final approach’ as panicked divers’ happen’ and I try to be prepared for the worst. I like to dive my ‘doubles’ …they’re fun, but a situation can ‘go down’ rapidly. Thank goodness you were able to give ‘leaking’ diver confidence and assist him to surface where the problem can get fixed. check out my setup I posted earlier. I have octo, gauge, and power inflator On my Waterlung Dual-Air by Sportsways, a ‘fine‘ DHR. I can still be a helpful rescue diver at any time. Again the ‘Pre-dive discussion‘ and buddy checks lay the foundation for averting a potential disaster. VikingDives has a great suggestion…take a course in this kind of rescue aspect…a ‘life saver’ it used to be ‘taught’ in AOW, definitely DM when i took classes ‘77-‘84….

Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84.

+1 for rescue. Great for everyone IMO. While we may approach with the best intentions, someone panicking could have been quite irrational grabbing at your primary or flailing around knocking off your mask, disconnecting hoses or who knows.

While courses are never 100 percent at preparing one for emergencies, I think it gives you the knowledge and the techniques to approach someone in or about to panic, how to recognize it, when and how to engage etc. Very worthwhile.

It was one of the most rewarding courses we took. We had a great instructor. The day-of it was stormy with 3-5 footers and we thought he'd cancel for sure. He said no: it's never flat and sunny when you have to rescue someone, this is perfect weather !! (To be fair, we did have well over 100 dives and were used to getting on the boat in rough conditions, which he knew). He then proceeded to have all his friends on and off the boat feign death in various ways sending us off to save them. We were exhausted at the end but really felt proud of the accomplishment.

Ask around though, because rescue seems to be very instructor dependent. Hopefully you find an instructor that will challenge you and you'll get the most out of it.
Yes, …took the course…..then it happened in Ginnie Springs. Intentionally by a newly certified diver in the certification dive I was assisting with. When I saw him I was expecting panic-diver…he grabbed my mask and dropped it at the grate. In an instant I was ready for the worst….and prepared. Too bad, dude had a ‘Drug Problem’ clouding his better judgement and was sent packing back to Virginia after the incident. anything can happen…I recovered my mask and dive light & after two mask clearings, one fulla sand. I went to try to locate him as I thought he WAS in trouble. Yes, I was livid, not something I exhibit. Totally uncalled for and instructors backed me up!!! It CAN happen🫵.
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84. AM

Good for you for recognizing a problem and doing something about it... Sounds like you'll be a good diver and a good buddy.

I personally don't feel that you were dealing with a panicked diver. I think he may have been "distressed" or "concerned". In my opinion there aren't varying levels of panic. Just a finite point where distress becomes panic. It's more like a switch that gets flipped on a diver and I believe it would very difficult if not impossible to effectively "communicate" with him or her once that switch gets flipped.

Good for you for recognizing a problem and doing something about it... Sounds like you'll be a good diver and a good buddy.

I personally don't feel that you were dealing with a panicked diver. I think he may have been "distressed" or "concerned". In my opinion there aren't varying levels of panic. Just a finite point where distress becomes panic. It's more like a switch that gets flipped on a diver and I believe it would very difficult if not impossible to effectively "communicate" with him or her once that switch gets flipped.
Yes NW Dive Dawg.
…one of my first thoughts when I surfaced to find ‘Kenny’ after I searched the cavern top to bottom. If he was having an emergency…he needed immediate attention. After ‘stealing‘ my mask he left me…no further contact. I really didn’t know what I would find…wanna know something. Yeah, I was scared. Especially for him. He was MY responsibility. (…not only was I a DM in training, it’s just the way I am. You go down in battle…I’m bringing you out…sorry, not a veteran but cut from the same mold. no one left behind..). My deepest respect to ALL who serve and still do.

The big let-down for me is he did this…intentionally…admitted it to instructor as instructor was trying to find out what happened. …thought it would be….?Fun?…it is why he was sent home although he passed his OW certification…as per PADI rules, the instructors were required to certify him…. with a constructive warning. I, needless to say was crushed and angry at the same time. I didn’t know who ‘Kenny’ was, I was filling in on a trip for another DM trainee who was unable to make the trip, she took my place the following Saturday at the lake…next day (Sunday)…tragedy…crushed again.

…” and he arose from the ashes” legendary ‘Phoenix’ ( Not sure whom)🤔😃👍🦈.

Sometimes reality defies reason….

giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, Yes, It didn’t ‘blow’ my DM training like I thought, Read my profile, please. PADI DM Since 1984.

IMO, you did well. You recognized that something was off, and went over to help.

There is a course for this. By your dive count, you may need some more dives to take it, but put it on your list. Rescue, Stress & Rescue, or something of the sort is what you are looking for. It’s intended to teach you how to recognize problems in yourself and other divers and respond to them.

As always, courses depend on the instructor, but most everyone that’s taken this course recommends it. In the course I took, we only knew that our “victim” was going to have a problem. We had to figure out what it was and help. It could have been out of air, an overinflated BC, missing fins, or anything. We had to figure it out and help. The instructor continually threw in surprises to deal with. One constant thought was looking at the divers eyes. They will tell the story, and if the diver is not in full blown panic, locking eyes with another diver can help to calm them down. At least they know they aren’t alone.

During the academic portion of the course, my instructor used an example that was very familiar to me. He told of a diver rescue a few years ago. He used it as an example of what you shouldn’t expect. It was familiar because it happened on a dive for a Deep cert I took. We had to rescue a diver, and everything ran smoothly. Everyone did what they were supposed to. Another instructor at the site actually commented to his students that we were doing a Rescue course. He didn’t realize that it was a real rescue at the time.
Yes, BelzelBub. a great recommendation. The ‘rescue’ class i took in Hampton, VA in ‘86 went through pretty much the same information and O/W exercises that you explained. It appears as if you found a far more evolved one than I took. Mine was through PADI facility which I frequented as well as Hampton/Newport News Fire and Rescue as a sponsor. It’s been awhile, but a great eye-opener and experience for ‘ANY’ diver. A yes…You ‘tagged it’ Good …The ’eyes’ can tell a great deal and be able to calm a situation…what I ‘watch‘ constantly during a one-on-one SCUBA demo/intro.

Oh BTW, don’t be fooled by the number of dives on my profile. These were mostly recreational. I really couldn’t say how many working dives w/Yorktown Shipwreck Center and other times I just didn’t log. There was also big span of years I could not afford to really have a nice dive. ….wife said “Sell your gear, you’ll will ‘Never’ dive anymore… ” . I am now so happy I didn’t take her advice…G R H S 😇. I really applaud your advice and hope others get to read it. It can save lives…maybe the one who ‘reads’ this.

….don’t think it can happen, eh? …think again… I know. Some events can be quite ‘bizarre’…

giantfroginthepool
Scott G. Bonser, PADI DM since ‘84.

Yes, BelzelBub. a great recommendation. The ‘rescue’ class i took in Hampton, VA in ‘86 went through pretty much the same information and O/W exercises that you explained. It appears as if you found a far more evolved one than I took. Mine was through PADI facility which I frequented as well as Hampton/Newport News Fire and Rescue as a sponsor. It’s been awhile, but a great eye-opener and experience for ‘ANY’ diver.
Yes, as with any class, the instructor can make it worthwhile or not. The agencies all have standards, but even so there are classes that don't meet standards. The student usually doesn't know any better. Likewise, there are classes that do the standards and then some.

The Rescue course I took definitely seemed to go above and beyond. We did the dives at an inland location that has some brown tannic water. It gets dark as you go deeper, but the color really limits the distance you can see. So each of the students really had no clue what the "victim" was going to present. We had to figure it out on the fly and respond appropriately. The scenarios could also happen at any point. Even during a surface interval, or in some cases, after I had rescued the "victim", I was asked to present another emergency to one of my fellow students.

After my course, another instructor who was teaching some OW students at the same site talked to my instructor. He told him he really liked the way the course was done and asked if he could steal some of the scenarios.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom