How to explore shores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparragus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in Puerto Rico, a small island blessed with numerous beaches and plenty of shore. Surprisingly, finding comprehensive online information about shore diving here can be challenging. Although there are existing shore diving spots around the island, the details for exploring lesser-known sites are often lacking.

I want to change that by launching a project that documents and surveys dive sites along Puerto Rico's shores. Similar to what websites like Fin Strokes and Jack's Diving Locker do, I plan to visit new locations every weekend so I can explore, take notes, create maps, and share my findings with others.

However, I'm unsure how to approach this safely. That's why I'm reaching out to you for advice. Do you know of any resources on shore diving? I'm particularly interested in guides on safely diving for the purpose of creating detailed site documentation. Whether it’s videos, articles, books, or courses, any information would be helpful.

If you have tips of your own, I'd love to hear them too.

I would survey from above while snorkeling. It is more effective for covering large areas. You can also carry your phone in a dedicated housing box so you also have GPS locations of the areas covered.

When you notice something of interest, you can then scuba dive for a more detailed inspection.

This assumes you have good visibility.

I have no advice on the safety of shore diving other than watch for outgoing currents, be careful with surge & surf, etc.. But may be planning a trip to PR at some point with the specific goal of shore diving. I too have had trouble getting info. on this. Please keep us posted about sites you do find.

If you want to approach it safely, I would gather a team to do this, and not so it solo. With a team you could cover more ground, in a safer, more efficient way. You can divide tasks based on interests and skill sets. Having surface support in the form of a boat to follow you on the surface, maybe plotting coordinates for you, being standby for emergencies or assisting with challenges related to currents I can imagine being very helpful. Even if you don't have access to a boat, having someone on the surface creates an added layer of safety.

On top of the other benefits, having a team makes it more fun, since a lot of the work will be done on land, and scuba is a social sport. Maybe you could even apply for some sort of grant or government funding to help fund your project. I'm just spitballing here, but I imagine it could be presented as a project to:
- increase tourism
- protect local environment
- help with some kind of marine research?

Tailor the presentation to the interests of whomever you contact for funding to increase your chances.

I didn’t mention it but it’s worth making it clear: I wouldn’t do this solo. I would have at least a buddy. Having someone in a boat, dinghy, or even a jetski would be great.

Maybe you could even apply for some sort of grant or government funding to help fund your project.

I had the same exact thought. I also have no idea if it would get funded. But it’s worth a try!

*************** just go diving

I really don't appreciate surfacing during a shore dive, so I don't, see it as a personal failure
So I walk around and check things out usually the land geography continues into the ocean

So well before dive day I'll check out how to get in, where to get out, how much clambering
and the likely places for ankle snapping as the dives are easy it's the ins and outs that's hard

My main deal is to set my reciprocal heading for land, as that is the only place I need to find
So with all that info in mind and some book and word of mouth research I finally got in here

304.JPG

and found this

PRG-1373-18-17.jpeg

Not the photo

Cool!

Solo of course

Be there or don't be there

Check with local dive shops. Not sure whats left, but there used to be some nice shallow reefs just NE of the San Juan airport along 187. There were rocks you could see from the shore and reefs around there. If I remember correctly, best at slack high tide.

You don't know if you don't go

Know the dive laws regarding access, diving, and dive flags.

Can the dive flags be towed?
Do the dive flags need to remain anchored?
Etc.

All good advice. My 2 cents would be to check satellite imagery of the area and use that as a basis. Search for old books of dive locations for inspiration. If the author is still alive, contact them. They may be able to give you some advice for notating things.

I live in Puerto Rico, a small island blessed with numerous beaches and plenty of shore. Surprisingly, finding comprehensive online information about shore diving here can be challenging. Although there are existing shore diving spots around the island, the details for exploring lesser-known sites are often lacking.

I want to change that by launching a project that documents and surveys dive sites along Puerto Rico's shores. Similar to what websites like Fin Strokes and Jack's Diving Locker do, I plan to visit new locations every weekend so I can explore, take notes, create maps, and share my findings with others.

However, I'm unsure how to approach this safely. That's why I'm reaching out to you for advice. Do you know of any resources on shore diving? I'm particularly interested in guides on safely diving for the purpose of creating detailed site documentation. Whether it’s videos, articles, books, or courses, any information would be helpful.

If you have tips of your own, I'd love to hear them too.

start with a compass ! Entry point/exit point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom