How to get padi Space suit diver specialty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't believe how lucky you guys were! Did cutting that part of the program short like that actually leave time at the end to look at tanks? That would have been great!
I'm really glad it isn't just me being my cynical self.

Forgive me, but what would be the reason for taking this course?
Didn’t you post several months back on deep tech diving, like beyond 200 M in the next few years.
I would think you’d want to take classes geared towards that.
Because it's fun...

Years ago I visited the US Navy fling museum in Pensacola, Florida. It was a great experience, it was free, and I understand it has been vastly improved. I heartily recommend it.

One of the exhibits was a space suit used by early astronauts. I think my drysuit might be better. However, if you told me I could take a course in which I put on one of those suits and dived for a while, I would happily pay for it.

If you are wondering why that experience should be made into an approved specialty, it is a liability issue.
  • If I were an instructor who thought it was a good idea to put someone in the water with a space suit on and that diver were to have an accident, I would be sued. During that lawsuit, I would be challenged on every part of that experience to show why I thought it was safe to do what I chose to do. I would have to convince a jury that my instructional decisions were sound and within the realm of best practices in the scuba industry. I might not be successful. In fact, there's a good chance I would lose.
  • If I instead got my course thoroughly reviewed and approved by PADI officials to ensure that what I was teaching was safe and within the realm of best practices in the scuba industry, that would completely eliminate that as part of the suit. The fact that the course has the seal of approval of a well-known scuba agency shows that every part of the course has been scrutinized and shown to be appropriate. The plaintiff could not easily challenge the course content and would have to prove that what I did was not within the approved scope of the course.

Become an astronaut? Just a guess. :cool:

I did this [Bikonaur/Star City] in the early 1990’s when it was 100% operational, just a matter of cash. I have no idea if it’s actually…still…well, you know, Russian internet BS or not. I’ve heard anecdotal comments about water clarity and other things symptomatic of degradation due to cash flow. Nothing for certain. Dubious nowadays, but: Russian Neutral Buoyancy Lab

The closest I got to our NASA NBL was to smell the water. They gave me a couple of T-Shirts. I did get in the tank under the Cirque de Soliel “O” performance. All very surreal.

42803940-5A94-4350-B931-6FB1A7C3A6CF.jpeg

I put these in with any similar logbook, ticket punch dives, very cool to remember, but simply will not get you chicks at the bar. Go do the Belize Blue Hole, same net effect.

@The Chairman and Mark Evans (UK) managed to get to the Moscow retail dive show where they did have a tank of naked mermaids which I think would have been worth the Rubles.

Back in the day, you could worm your way into the Weekie Watchee Mermaid tank for a small fee. That was very cool, real atheletes.

The Wreck Bar www.boceanresort.com if you remember Buddy Hackett in Where the Boys Are.

No distinctive specialty certs to make fun of for the envious PADI haters.

Forgive me, but what would be the reason for taking this course?
Didn’t you post several months back on deep tech diving, like beyond 200 M in the next few years.
I would think you’d want to take classes geared towards that.
So one is bound to take only x class at a time? Just because I am doing my tec 40-45 right now I am un-able to take a “fun” class such as this? Also it was a 10 year goal…

I did this [Bikonaur/Star City] in the early 1990’s when it was 100% operational, just a matter of cash. I have no idea if it’s actually…still…well, you know, Russian internet BS or not. I’ve heard anecdotal comments about water clarity and other things symptomatic of degradation due to cash flow. Nothing for certain. Dubious nowadays, but: Russian Neutral Buoyancy Lab

The closest I got to our NASA NBL was to smell the water. They gave me a couple of T-Shirts. I did get in the tank under the Cirque de Soliel “O” performance. All very surreal.

View attachment 756002

I put these in with any similar logbook, ticket punch dives, very cool to remember, but simply will not get you chicks at the bar. Go do the Belize Blue Hole, same net effect.

@The Chairman and Mark Evans (UK) managed to get to the Moscow retail dive show where they did have a tank of naked mermaids which I think would have been worth the Rubles.

Back in the day, you could worm your way into the Weekie Watchee Mermaid tank for a small fee. That was very cool, real atheletes.

The Wreck Bar www.boceanresort.com if you remember Buddy Hackett in Where the Boys Are.

No distinctive specialty certs to make fun of for the envious PADI haters.
The good news is you wont die🤣

“Interested in taking “Orlan-M” Russian EVA space suit Hydro Lab water training? Come and try it. Not for free. Price is high. You will survive. Experience is unforgettable.”

Reactions: Doc
do you need to have your own space suit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom