How to identify a Luxfer 6351 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same thing with overfilling LP steels to 3600psi...:popcorn:

That is what confuses me!!! An industry that will overfill a steel by 1000 psi but will not fill a properly inspected 6351 to fill pressure. Logic seems lost on this group.:confused:

And from what I read on the PSI website a while back, the fact is that more steel tanks have ruptured during filling than aluminum..... but nobody has a fit about filling an old steel tank if it passes hydro and inspection.

FYI: I dive a 1978 Al80 tank. No issues getting it filled here.... but what matters is what the dive shops will accept in your area.

Best wishes.

The fact is, 6351 alloy tanks are at higher risk of exploding. Fact is, my life isn't worth filling your tank. Fact is, there is no reason to fill a 6351 alloy tank. I don't want to fill them, so I will never fill one. Simple as that buddy.

Another interesting fact, I've seen two 6061 alloy tanks with cracks. A lot of shops really skimp on their vip's. Best shops will have something like the Visual Plus neck crack checking system, or a high quality mirror system that sits in the neck and allows them to inspect every single inch, much more accurately than a dental mirror and flashlight.

I've seen steel tanks with cracks in the neck too. Everything is somewhat of a risk, but evidence shows that properly inspected 6351 tanks are still at least as safe as your average steel SCUBA tanks. .............but, I still wouldn't buy a 6351 tank.

How to identify a 6351 tank?
They look like this:

image017.jpg

Your right...filling these tanks is really abusive. The best way to take care of these is to leave them empty in your closet. Or better yet when you have the hydro facility write "condemned" all over it and X's out all the DOT stamps, they will usually "take care of it" for you.

Your right...filling these tanks is really abusive.

Then why don't you get out of the filling business? Why ask everyone else to condemn their servicable equipment because you cannot rationalize a 12/25 million risk that goes down to zero with proper testing?

Do you write condemned all over your vehicle? After all, your odds of dying in a car accident this year alone are 1/6500 or 1/83 over your lifetime. How do you rationalize that risk? Whatever your answer is why not apply it to this issue.

A 20 year old 6351 tank that cost about $150 has been depreciated at $7.50 per year. It's time to give it up!

I'm willing to give up my 20 year old 6061 tank if I can't get it filled. Again, it has only cost me about $7.50 per year.

Richard

I agree. Please send all your old gear (tanks, doublehose regs etc...) to my address. I will dispose of it properly for you :eyebrow:

I think the first thing we give up in a disposable society is the ability to tell fact from fiction.

I didn't make up my own opinion on this issue. I just choose to put my faith in the DOT and PSI. You're not at odds with my viewpoint; you are at odds with them. If they change their viewpoint I'll change mine.

Last edited:
I didn't make up my own opinion on this issue. I just choose to put my faith in the DOT and PSI. You're not at odds with my viewpoint; you are at odds with them. If they change their viewpoint I'll change mine.

You are wrong...

The visual eddy machine that you keep throwing all your faith behind doesn't catch everything. In fact most of these time bomb tanks are caught by the VE machine between your VIP tech's ears. I have a pile of 6351 cylinder shoulders that have VERY deep cracks in them and were not discovered by a VE machine...why?...because the VE machine only checks for cracks in the threads. If the crack is lower...ie, in the shoulder area it cannot possibly pick them up. The ONLY way it can be discovered is by a very attentive VIP tech. What makes this issue particularly worrisome to fill station operators, is that the due diligence invested by VIP techs varies WIDELY. I have seen some that just slap a sticker on it if there is no corrosion on the outside. That is why we are so cautious when someone brings in a 6351 that was VIP'd by some far away shop we aren't familiar with and why some shops refuse to fill them entirely. Its not worth the risk albeit small to sell a $5 air fill.

PS. If you would like to see pics of these SLC cracks (WHICH DO NOT SHOW UP ON VE) I can take pics of them next time I am in the shop and provide you with them. However I suspect you are too stubborn and sure of yourself for them to do any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom