How to make a noiseless shaker...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shadragon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my trip to the Red Sea last year our DM was using a 7" metal tube for a shaker to get peoples attention. I have seen them available commercially, but thought I could make one fairly cheaply.

I started out with some 1/2" galvanized steel pipe about 3" long threaded at both ends. I got some Teflon plumbing tape and a couple of galvanized steel end caps. Before sealing it up with Vice-Grips, I put three old ball bearings inside of various sizes. I was fairly confident that it was water tight when assembled, but I went one step further as it would be going deep on occasion.

My last step was to take the assembled pipe and dip it into a liquid plastic. The same kind you use to coat tool handles etc. This hardened overnight and protected the outer surface of the steel. Plus, it gave it another layer of water tightness, protected the rest of my gear from metal abrasion and was a nice yellow colour to boot. After it was dry, I gave it a test shake and it made a nice 'shaka-shaka' sound. I was quite pleased with the results.

I took a stainless steel hose clamp and tightened it over a loop of thin rope so I could attach it to my BC. I was good to go... Total cost was about $9 CDN, not counting the liquid plastic which I bought for another project.

Took it diving and told my buddy I would try it when submerged. When we got to depth I took it in hand and rattled it... It was barely audible. If I had not known to listen I would have missed it. My buddy was 4 feet away and gave me a big shrug. Tried it when we got back to the surface and it sounded fine. For some reason when underwater it is very muted and all you can hear is a gentle high frequency 'tik' noise of the ball bearings hitting the end cap.

I thought it might be the plastic layer absorbing the noise, but on the surface it sounds fine. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Picture enclosed of the completed item.

Shaker.jpg

no ideas but wouldn't recommend trying to take it on a plane looks like all it need is a match!

I would think it was the coating. I tried a shaker in a diveshop and it was much louder than underwater. Try one in your LDS. It may sound ok on land but compare it to one without the coating. There should be a big difference.

"My last step was to take the assembled pipe and dip it into a liquid plastic."

Can I ask where you found the plastic coating? I've been looking for some tool-dip, plasti-dip, etc., in hardware stores and no one seems to carry it.
Thanks, trig

trigfunctions:
"My last step was to take the assembled pipe and dip it into a liquid plastic."

Can I ask where you found the plastic coating? I've been looking for some tool-dip, plasti-dip, etc., in hardware stores and no one seems to carry it.
Thanks, trig
I bought it at an Ace Hardware store. It was in the tool section and was called Plasti Dip. There is a spray version as well, but you end up applying 7-10 thin coats using the spray with drying time in-between. The dip is a lot nicer and much quicker.

Plasti Dip Web Site

Tells you where you can can it on this site. I used the dip to protect the steel of the pipe as I am sure it would corrode in sea water. If it is the coating causing the issue then I will have to look at making one out of PVC plumbing pipe or something like that.

Note: When I dipped it I tied a piece of wire around one end cap and dipped it to just under the wire. I let it dry, turned it around and dipped the other end up to just past where it was already covered. The seam or join is under the hose clamp so you cannot really notice it.

I suppose another question is what do you put inside to maximize the noise? Ball bearings, lead shot...? I have no idea.

Going to head off to the scrap yard tonight and see if I can find a stainless steel or aluminum pipe to try Part II of the project.

I met a family on a boat once and they'd all made them out of PVC pipe and (I think) small ball bearings. I don't know if it matters, but they were fairly thick in diameter, like maybe 2" or thicker pipe. As I recall the white stuff.

I could hear one of the kids using it about 30' away. I'd go one step further maybe and make some brass or copper disks to fit tightly inside the endcaps so that when the ball bearings hit, it would amplify the effect.

trigfunctions:
Thanks, trig

I bought some at a Lowe's in N. Ft. lauderdale or Pompano in Oct. 06.

evad:
I bought some at a Lowe's in N. Ft. lauderdale or Pompano in Oct. 06.
No way. I went to the Lowes at University and Oakland Park (in Sunrise) last month and asked for it and they said they didn't carry it. Do you remember what section it was - paint, hardware, etc.?

trigfunctions:
No way. I went to the Lowes at University and Oakland Park (in Sunrise) last month and asked for it and they said they didn't carry it. Do you remember what section it was - paint, hardware, etc.?

Way. It was the one N. of Atlantic on Federal. I called them to make sure. The guy was suprised they had it "behind" the spray paint cages so, if they say no ask someone else or find it yourself. They have the spray and the dip. Hey, it's close to the dive boats.

Back
Top Bottom