How to not appreciate the wildlife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was pretty enraged by this, hence why I posted it.

But anways, I would love to just get to see a turtle that big, probably older than my parents

Like they say, you can fix ugly, but ya can't fix STUPID :huh::huh:

Unfortunatley like traffic citations I believe this sort of thing has to be seen by Sworn LEO. With Out of season, Shorts, etc they have evidence after the fact. With harassment once it is done there is nothing and I do not think a video as such is submissible. They will get theirs someday. Big old Karma Shark will bite their kester.

FWC has been popping folks regularly based on YouTube videos and Facebook postings. All it takes is for someone to report the offense :)

FWC has investigators. I read their reports all time and they're increasingly using social media sites like this to catch people doing these very things. I think submitting it wouldn't hurt.

One angler in California who caught a bug out of season was arrested when the Los Angeles Times posted an on-line picture of him with his catch on the web. Not only was it out of season, but it is against the law here to catch them on hook-and-line. I just wish I could corral the poachers I see every year taking bugs out of our dive park before season. At least by October 1st it will be illegal to take them there at all.

The activities here are NOT ones condoned by a majority of spearos (as witnessed in the posts above). Unfortunately there are a number of bozos who take up a sling or speargun and do great harm to the image of those who spear with training and experience.

I stopped all hunting and fishing in 1975. I don't have a problem with those who do either as long as they do so abiding by the State Fish & Game codes. I prefer spearos to hook-and-line because good spearos add an element of challenge in capturing their prey, generally are good judges of whether they are after the right species and size, and eat what they take. Taking food is appropriate. If grocery prices rise any further, I may have to resume my spearfishing as well. I have a strong aversion to purely sport fishing or hunting though.

With that said, I am very concerned about OVER fishing. Here in California (as in Florida) our population exploded following WWII. The numbers here meant that far more people were going after declining numbers of fish (at least for many species). Anyone who doesn't believe that has had a major impact ought to listen to the words of anglers who have been around since those days. I know one who arrived here in 1919 as a young child and has fished most of his life. His stories, and those of early Catalina anglers like Zane Grey and Dr. Charles Frederick Holder, substantiate the declines we have witnessed.

Police in Dallas have been making arrests based on Youtube videos of some jokers on motorcycles who decided to shut down Central Expressway for a burn out and wheelie session. Hopefully FWC can do the same with these morons.

I asked the guy who posted the video what his friends name was because I wanted to have a little chat with him
as well as his email

if he's stupid enough to wrestle a turtle, he's stupid enough to admit it was him :D

Blackvans reported it and it will go to the broward office where they will hopefully be investigated. The FWC website makes it easy to report violations, in case anyone is interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom