how to properly log a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 regarding paper. Whatever way you electronically record your dives, I personally would print it all out. I still use the paper log book and Xerox each page in case I ever lose the book. Same thing with the concerts I play--I want a recording that's either a tape or a disk. Something that can't just vanish (though some tapes can disintegrate some over years). If you don't want to print it all out, at least have two electronic copies and check on them once in a while to make sure it's all still there.

I like paper, not so much because I don't trust digital media--things can be backed up multiple times if one wishes to go to those lengths--but more because I like the idea of seeing my own scribbled handwriting years later. See Stoo's link above to his dive log from 40 years ago. That's pretty cool to look at, I think.

Interesting, I understand the increased bottom time due to less air consumption, but what about the reduced weights? Is it just a trimming process or correlated to experience?

Most divers start off overweighted, and they gradually take off some of that weight. One reason is that they become more relaxed and dive with less air in the lungs. Another reason, and possibly a more important reason, is that as their buoyancy improves, they begin to realize that they don't need as much weight as they previously thought they did. A lot of people have poor trim, and they swim with their feet underneath them, their fins constantly fluttering. That kicking keeps them at their depth--if they stopped kicking, they would sink. As their skills improve, they get more horizontal and stop kicking so much. then they start realizing all that weight is not needed.

Hello everyone, new to scuba diving just got my open water diver card...

I have a very basic computer (mares puck, not the pro) that records dives, although I think I can't download the dive profile from this model.
I aalso registered myself at diveboard.com where I can log dives. I also have the paper log from PADI of course.
I see that to be granted access to advanced classes one needs a number of properly logged dives. What does this mean in today's paperless world? What does a dive-shop want to see?
Guess what? ScubaBoard now has an online Logbook: SBLogbook: Every Diver’s All-in-One Social Dive Log Solution You can access it anywhere they have internet. You can tag SB buddies, shops and geo-tag dive sites.

In Key Largo, unless you have an AOW, you must show your logbook to prove you have done 2 deep dives within a certain period to dive the deep wrecks.

So..fill it out 10 minutes prior to boarding.............my point being is that log books are usless for just that reason. Years ago (15+) I was essentially called a liar because a boat didn't beleive my log. Majority of my dives at that time were 175-240 ft range, captain didn't beleive me. Stopped logging @ that point.
Later,
John

.......I have a very basic computer (mares puck, not the pro) that records dives, although I think I can't download the dive profile from this model.....
Ciao Leo.
You CAN download dive profiles from the Mares Puck. Even with a smartphone!

As many of you have pointed out, besides any compliance aspects, a logbook can be a great journal of one’s dive history. A place to remember the dive buddies or the dive instructor that you met on a trip, a place to keep track of the amazing marine life that you encounter and a place to record your impressions… in short, a place to store the memories that you want to keep from your dives.

This is exactly the driving philosophy behind diviac / SBlogbook: to be an attractive, easy to use and intuitive platform for you to store and share (if you want) your dive memories.

SBlogbook allows you to directly upload your dive computer data (or enter the dive parameters manually) and enrich it with your fish sightings, your photos or videos and comments (SBlogbook includes a database with 14,000 species with photos and biology information). It also allows you to list all your dive buddies and even connect with them if you wish to stay in touch.

If you haven’t done so yet, why don’t you give SBlogbook a try?

Simply click on the SBlogbook tab in the main navigation menu.

Back
Top Bottom