How to shed those kilos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive in the Indian Ocean (water temp 25 deg C at the moment) with 26lbs and no suit.
I'd rather be a little over weighted than have trouble making my safety stop.

I think you are right. It is better for beginner to be over weighted. My nephew was FORCED to shed too much weight, against our better advice, and in no way could have maintained a safety stop. This occured at Captain Slate Atlantis dive shop, Key Largo. The rental equipment was also pitiful, and the rental equipment man was abrupt to myself, and my sister. The man who worked distributing equipment REFUSED to let him have the amount of weight he requested. The kid was too stupid to argue, and started floating up with 1000 psi...

But beware, after you complete your safety stop, that extra large bubble you carried will need to be dumped the last 15 ft, or you might ascend too fast that last few feet.... The most dangerous point of your ascent.

I think you are right. It is better for beginner to be over weighted. My nephew was FORCED to shed too much weight, against our better advice, and in no way could have maintained a safety stop. This occured at Captain Slate Atlantis dive shop, Key Largo. The rental equipment was also pitiful, and the rental equipment man was abrupt to myself, and my sister. The man who worked distributing equipment REFUSED to let him have the amount of weight he requested. The kid was too stupid to argue, and started floating up with 1000 psi...

But beware, after you complete your safety stop, that extra large bubble you carried will need to be dumped the last 15 ft, or you might ascend too fast that last few feet.... The most dangerous point of your ascent.

once I got what I consider to be my right weight I never had a problem with the safety stop. Once I've done it I've always been able to slowly ascend to the surface. Am at 16 dives now and will do the advanced OW this summer. I may look at reducing my weight when I do the Buoyancy course on that.

as for getting bad kit, I went out and bought my own equipment after being given a badly distributed weight belt of my first open water dive. Went straight from that dive to buy a BC with integrated weights. Shortly after bought by reg. There is risk involved in diving so like to be in control as much as possible.

I dive in the Indian Ocean (water temp 25 deg C at the moment) with 26lbs and no suit.

A "little over weighted"? Wow. :shocked: I've dived in the Indian Ocean with no suit in 25C (Seychelles) and used about 6lbs. And I'm not anorexic by any means. Was this a special area of the Indian with an extremely high SG? Do you mean the Dead Sea perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbif71

A "little over weighted"? Wow. :shocked: I've dived in the Indian Ocean with no suit in 25C (Seychelles) and used about 6lbs. And I'm not anorexic by any means. Was this a special area of the Indian with an extremely high SG? Do you mean the Dead Sea perhaps?

It might not be that overweighted if he weights 250 lbs and wear a bulky padded BC.

It might not be that overweighted if he weights 250 lbs and wear a bulky padded BC.

my BC is a Scubapro T-Force which is rather bulky and padded.

usually dive at Fujairah. can't say I find the weight a problem except when getting back on the boat when I prefer to remove my BC. but thats more precautionary due to a very bad old knee injury.

my BC is a Scubapro T-Force which is rather bulky and padded.

usually dive at Fujairah. can't say I find the weight a problem except when getting back on the boat when I prefer to remove my BC. but thats more precautionary due to a very bad old knee injury.

...but do you weigh >120kgs?

Oh, be nice please.

Hey..if he's over 6 feet and 10 inches, it aint all bad! I had a student once that took over 40lbs of lead to sink her. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom