How to sling a 30cf pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I Want to carry this pony to have a redundant air supply in case of emergency for my wife and I at depths 80ft and beyond. I like the idea of having it in front of me and able to pass it off but do not know if my BCD will handle it or not. I do have multiple D rings on the from so from what I have read it will. I have never seen a pony bottle slung so I was baffled on how it was done. After watching a few you tubes I think that is the way I would want it. I do have a camera setup I use and wonder how much it would be in the way or do people that use camera's attach it to the main tank so it is out of the way?

You could rig the pony in the same way as a deco bottle and clip off to your BCD, ideally to a left shoulder D ring and left hip D ring.
These links show one way you could do it.
DIR-diver.com - Stagebottle rigging
DIR-diver.com - Reg config stages/deco

Make sure you completely think through any solution you implement though. Just for example: if you use a long primary hose, you need to make sure you don't trap the long hose under the pony as you gear up.

A pony (however it is carried) is something you'll need to learn to use effectively and practice with though. The first time I tried to deploy a reg from a slung tank like this I made a hash of it. Luckily I was on a training course covering that particular skill so no harm done - Live and learn.

As well as weigh a ton, cost $$$ , and be enough gas to get you into hours of deco.

I meant a pair for single cylinder dive usage. Actually, due to bouyancy characteristics, when full, it is only 1.7lbs heavier than a Worthington HP100. If I had meant for doubles configuration, I would have stated as such, but my comment was a bit ambiguous...

If you have hip d rings, you should be able to sling with no problem. But from what I've seen , most rec bc don't have one, that's part of what drove me to get a bp/w. If you did have a hip d ring. You could use th dive rite stage set up or. Put a brass ring with a double bolt snap around the valve, and a d ring on a screw clamp band around the cylinder, with a double bolt snap. Thats what worked for me.

Btw, befor I had a bp I used the x braket and thought that worked fine, but it came with all the drawbacks that have been mentioned befor.

Interesting discussion. I only carry a pony bottle if I am soloing. I carry a 19 if a fin kick dive and a 30 if I'm solo scootering.

My 19 is quick release on my back, and reg clipped to left shoulder D ring.

My 30 is slung, left shoulder D ring/left hip d ring (BP/W). Reg held on the tank.

I am getting another quick release to carry a 30 on my back, but that is for an OC bailout bottle and my KISS GEM gas extender. Which I may decide later to sling anyways, its an experiment.

But... besides the full bottle weights, you need to factor almost empty weights, as a catlina is almost neutral, but a luxfer is several pounds buoyant, which means you'll need to account for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom