How to tie smb to a branch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vemura

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll be doing some diving off a boat. While others are fun diving, I’ll be practicing things in the water and would like to tie off my smb to a branch to let the boat know where I’m hanging out. Any guide on how to do this?

there are tons of ways to do it. maybe look up some youtube videos on cave diving and how they make their tie off's. a picture is worth a thousand words.

just make sure it is 100% secure

A branch of what? In ocean, a lake, a quarry? Currents?

there are tons of ways to do it. maybe look up some youtube videos on cave diving and how they make their tie off's. a picture is worth a thousand words.

just make sure it is 100% secure
Thanks! Yes I’ve found a video by Flowstate divers that shows them tying an smb to a rock securely. That was a good video to start with.

A branch of what? In ocean, a lake, a quarry? Currents?
In the sea, it should be near a short, steep shore. Mild to gentle currents.

Not sure what I can tie it to. It depends on what I find. For the most, the terrain is flat. There may be some artificial structures at certain sites like concrete blocks where the ascent line is tied to. Or else it’ll be muck-divey.

In the sea, it should be near a short, steep shore. Mild to gentle currents.

Not sure what I can tie it to. It depends on what I find. For the most, the terrain is flat. There may be some artificial structures at certain sites like concrete blocks where the ascent line is tied to. Or else it’ll be muck-divey.
So by "branch" you probably mean of coral; don't do it.
If there are rocks you can tie to them, but you can't count on that.
An old structure would be best, but again, take care on any marine life on it.
You can carry extra weights to use as an anchor.
Some have used a small (even foldable) grappling hook and wedged it into some rocks.
Muck is difficult. Weights would be best.

I carry a grappling hook sold as a canoe anchor for that. It's useless for canoes but works OK for a dive flag or smb.

1712260606690.png

I’ll be doing some diving off a boat. While others are fun diving, I’ll be practicing things in the water and would like to tie off my smb to a branch to let the boat know where I’m hanging out. Any guide on how to do this?
Hmmm....

You're posting in the Basic SCUBA section, and don't know how to tie off an SMB, and are describing what sounds like solo diving while you practice skills. Even in a place with just mild current it doesn't sound like a great dive plan to me.

I'd suggest that the best thing would be to have your buddy hold the SMB while you do exercises, then hold the SMB yourself while your buddy practices skills.

Assuming that you're familiar with deploying an SMB...

Another option would be to dive with an extra weight belt with minimal weight -- enough to hold the SMB. Put the weight belt on the bottom (assuming no coral or plant life), then attach the SMB. Instead of actually tieing a knot, use a boltsnap to clip off the SMB, with a twist in the line (not a tied knot) through the reel to keep it from unwinding. See this thread for lots of pictures and examples.

Be aware that the fixed SMB does present an entanglement hazard.

In the sea, it should be near a short, steep shore. Mild to gentle currents. ...
I don't think I would use my SMB/DSMB for this, since I might "need" it if the current sweeps me away.

Is there any way you can dive also with a diver's float with diver-down flag attached? Of course, you will still need to be able to tie the float off ...

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom