How to try before you buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not a cave diver. I prefer wrecks and teach Advanced Wreck with penetration and deco. I have been in the ballroom at Ginnie. That was not long after my OW and AOW certs. At the time I thought it was fine. However looking back it was a reckless act by the instructor taking a group of divers, some still only OW, in there. We did the dive at night so that the instructor could cut open a glow stick to make it look like stars.

At night you really could not see the entrance. I did get up against the roof. Not pinned but just to see it.

It is IMO still an overhead. Looking back I would not do that dive at that level if I had half of the knowledge I do now.
There is no air space should someone lose their weights or buoyancy control and get pinned to the ceiling. With the large group I was in it would have been very easy to not notice something like this happening and it gives me chills just thinking about it now.

Take a cavern course and do the dive right. A cavern class is the safest way to get an introduction to caves. Cavern/Intro are often done together with some instructors.

My own feeling is if I paid to do the class and then got in there and found out it wasn't for me, it's still money well spent.

Better than trying to figure it out on your own without the education and skills you'd gain with an instructor. The big thing is that on your own it is possible to get into trouble without realizing it. An instructor will make sure you know the ways it can kill you.

Overheads are venturing into the tech world. Unlike recreational training there is heavy emphasis on what can go wrong first to hopefully lessen the risk of it happening. You look at the ways you can get hurt or worse right off the bat. Then learn how to mitigate that risk.

The other reason it's done this way is to weed out those who are not ready or have no business in these environments.

Take a cavern course. It is not a waste of time or money if you decide not to continue on to cave as the skills you learn carry over well to OW diving.

As a cave diver I can only say the advice of others who've dove Cenotes and caverns without training is just well intended bad advice, AKA "normalization of deviance". We don't know what we don't know and neither do they. :)

Guys, you are beating a dead horse. Look at his post #22. He is looking for cavern instructor recommendations. I gave him what I had as did Ken. Anyone have someone they want to suggest?

Any recommendations on an instructor in the central Florida area? A little education can go a long way.

Last edited:
i would recomend
ginnie or even blue grotto...... i will be around the area and would dive it with you oct 20-30
also you could talk to Richard Black Ted Mc coy or Jon Bernot they can instruct cavern..... good people

Guys, you are beating a dead horse. Look at his post #22. He is looking for cavern instructor recommendations. I gave him what I had as did Ken. Anyone have someone they want to suggest?
Thank you lol I thought you were the only one that saw that. I am very conservative and prudent when it comes to my diving and didn't want to ruffle any feathers but I guess even if a cavern is considered safe for OW divers it is still a cavern and at the end of the day should be given the respect it deserves. I am looking into several cavern/intro courses currently and although I am apprehensive I am also excited to expand my knowledge and my available dive sites. Anybody that is interested in a noob dive buddy (I have a lot of open water experience just not cavern/cave) I am always looking for an excuse to dive and I'm only two hours away from ginnie.

Any recommendations on an instructor in the central Florida area? A little education can go a long way.

You will not regret taking a cavern course... the skills you'll work on, and the dive-planning techniques you will be introduced to will be useful for every dive you do afterwards... overhead or otherwise.

Good Luck and dive safe.

I know that caves are dangerous and should not be attempted without proper training but how does someone know if they would like it enough to spend the money? I enjoy diving in springs and looking at rock formations and I think I'd be interested in exploring some caves nothing too intense though. Is there an intro program like there is with diving to try it before you buy it? I would be ok with driving up to north Florida and spending a day with an instructor, even paying for services but buying a whole course up front not sure if I'm gonna like it makes me nervous.

I would recommend Pete McCumber excellent no BS instructor and will make sure you have all the gear just let him know what you need and he can arrange it or at least he did in our case.

Cavern is a great course, and will definitly test your skills and make you a stronger diver (well in most cases). My wife and I did it and our trim and boyancy has greatly improved as well as our confidencd We actually signed up for Cavern and Intro but did not do the intro we were not ready for that so I personally would not sign up for those courses together unless your sure you will do both.
And if you go to cave country you will find some very friendly people willing to help, but they take safety very seriously which is great. Have fun

I have looked into cavern and cave courses and I am interested in taking one however before I go and spend the money I want to find out if I'm ready mentally for it. I have been in caves above ground and I love it as well as being in zero viz as a firefighter. I just want to be sure that I have the testicular fortitude to combine rocks overhead with scuba before committing to that kind of an investment. Especially if I'm never going to do it after the class because of a bad experience. Maybe this is baby steps maybe it's paranoia and maybe it's even going about it a little bit backwards but I think for my own piece of mind if I can say yes I'm interested or nope not for me and only be out the cost of a fill I'm ahead of the game.

With your experience in confined spaces, darkness, and zero viz in places that can kill you if you screw up, I would be shocked if cave diving is mentally difficult for you.

He was in the Ballroom at Ginnie this weekend and did great. I think he is going to take Cavern/Intro with me and my buddy in Feb.

Some pics from last weekends Ballroom visit.. With @joe10540 and @Ron Crist

Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.00.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.02.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.04.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.13.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.17.21 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.21.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.22.28 PM.png

Last pic is me giving the universal signal of approval to @Ron Crist

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.29.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 11.29.26 PM.png