how to use a drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oversea,

I would recommend doing a session in the pool, I did and found it very useful.

It is a different skill, but not rocket science when you get someone who knows what they're doing to show you.

I would never go back, but then it does get chilly here in UK.

Anyone who dives wet in the UK must be permanently bent IMHO. :wacko:

I dive a membrane suit and like it a lot, make sure they "fit" you well in the shop. Boots are important as you dont want to "lose" your feet while underwater !

Feet first is a damned ungainly way to surface :D Do it in the pool first. Less embarrasing all round. :)

Try and talk to people about cuff versus shoulder dumps, only problem is you will ask two people and get three answers ! It comes down to presonal pref i believe, but its worth asking a few people.

With the benefit of my hindsight, think about the type of diving you do and may do in the future. Do you need pocket (s) and also will the suit have braces, both of these have been added to mine.

Dive safe (and dry and warm, lovely).

Cheers
Hoppy

Got a Viking Xtreme Drysuit from Bob3 for a good price earlier this year, but haven't tried it yet because I decided to take a formal training class before trying it. (Of course I'm also waiting for the ice to leave the lakes too....) The SSI class was about $120, including the cost of the book and the video and includes class time and fitting first night, pool time and skills a second night and an openwater dive or two the following weekend. My first class in 23 April.

Most BCs work just fine with a drysuit. All it really takes is making sure that the BC is the proper size to fit over the suit.

However, I strongly suggest you take a drysuit course. It is NOT just another passive piece of equipment you put on & use like a pair of fins. People can, and do, get hurt if they do not use a drysuit in the proper manner.

BTW, there is always the controversy about using the suit for bouyancy control u/w vs. using the BC (and only putting enough air in the suit to offset squeeze). There are pros and cons to either method. Neither is "the only right way".

The only thing that matters is that you lean how to use a drysuit safely and effectively. The rest is irrelevant.

~SubMariner~

I suggest the Bare ATR Light or the Bare ATR HD. Andy's DS3 is nice as well, but more money.

Folks in the USA can purchase the BARE's from Canada at a fine exchange rate and save big!

Northern Tech Divers and Dan's Scuba in Canada are both fine shops...

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
I suggest the Bare ATR Light or the Bare ATR HD. Andy's DS3 is nice as well, but more money.

Folks in the USA can purchase the BARE's from Canada at a fine exchange rate and save big!

Northern Tech Divers and Dan's Scuba in Canada are both fine shops...

Don't order from Dan's read my post about how they screwed me with my dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom