How was the Dive Show for those who could not go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got home. I will say that all comments so far are accurate. It was a somewhat, if not ho-hum, interesting dive show. It was well-represented by travel agencies, and resorts hawking trips to exotic locales that you have heard of.

NetDoc, I understand you got stuck in Florida. Fair enough. I was looking for the Scubaboard booth. I didn't see it.

Having said that, it was a lot of fun. There were some local shops there. Scuba Toys probably had the busiest booth. There were a few gear manufacturers represented. White's Dry Suits had a really good booth (I own a BARE dry suit).

I attended a few of the workshops. Nothing new there. There were tips, tricks and travel advice items. Thanks David and Lily! I attended a shop on the interesting things and such for St. Croix. Thanks Ed! I am ready to go visit St. Croix now. It wasn't on my list before.

I had fun. I got to see a lot of old friends, some new friends, and got to make some newer friends. It was all good. I did go to the after show cocktail hour at the Gingerman lounge/bar. I love you guys and girls! I love my scuba family! Have fun! Peace y'all!

Just got home. I will say that all comments so far are accurate. It was a somewhat, if not ho-hum, interesting dive show. It was well-represented by travel agencies, and resorts hawking trips to exotic locales that you have heard of.

Yep just as I thought, been to several myself and could care less about travel agents! Now the after show party sounded like a hoot, so it was probably worth it if for nothing than that. :eyebrow:

It was a good day from my end. The dive show wasn't as large as the one I attended in Houston, but in all fairness, the weather played a BIG part. My traveling buddy (Island Frog) talked to some of the movers and shakers for the show and learned that there were supposed to be two more full aisles of venders and booths, but they had been "snowed out". What was there was interesting enough to keep my attention for a while but, hey...I'm biased. I was IN one of the booths (Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary).
Doc, I didn't see any signs of the SB booth...not even an empty one. Wish I'd been able to help open it up, but I didn't even know where to start. Next time, I'll try to do better to provide support, so don't give up on us, okay?
The after show get-together was a riot! It was great to see so many of our "extended family". Hopefully, we'll use it as a springboard to get some great activities and events together for the spring and summer. I'm looking forward to it!
Overall, a really fine day! Thanks all!

Give up on Texas? You were our very first Regional Club here on ScubaBoard!!! You'll always have a fond place in my heart. In fact, I spent three days in Abilene just last month on a ranch. They're gonna star me in a movie:

22159_1293858940609_1054359628_30903429_91191_n.jpg

The Good, The Bad & The NetDoc.

((SPIT...................DING!))

You missed your calling, poncho Pete.. :wink:

This was my second show... Since I got free tickets worth every penny I spent on Admission... After show party was great... I know economy is down, it even forced me to dive domestically last year, but I really wish more manufacturers would have been there...

Charlie

My shop participated as part of the retail association. After attending other shows, I didn't have very high expectations, but was pleasantly surprised by the turn out and the quality of the exhibitors. I saw a few factory reps running around checking things out. Some were sorry to have missed the boat. My guess is that next year the show will be larger and better represented by the various product lines.

We invited Whites to Demo at CSSP and had a great turnout despite snow on the ground and Valentines Day plans. I invited others to bring their gear to demo but had no takers. Too bad for them as the North Texas area has some serious divers within driving distance.
I really enjoyed the show as I found some potential cave diving buddies amoungst the crowd.

Cheers,
Rich

I was really impressed with the show in its first year. You had about three rows of booths with a good mix of local shops, a couple of travel companies, resorts in the Caribbean, a few in the Pacific, the Flower Gardens and some manufacturers. Heck, Backscatter was there. Also the local UW photography club and local dive clubs. The back was set up with a large area for presentations. For those that remember the old Dive Dallas down at Market Center, this was small in comparison, but you have to start somewhere.

Dive Dallas used to be packed with people. I don't know that the demand is there when the show was at its peak, but this event has huge potential in the future. Like some people have mentioned, these events are not just about the exhibits and presentations, but a great opportunity to see old dive friends and meet some new buddies as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom