• Read Up On It

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I Forget...

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Other

Votes: 50 26.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At my early years watching Sea Hunt and Jaque Cousteau, and watching movies with the Navy Frogmen or UDT.

I picked "Other"...

I actually got into diving because of my fish tanks, of which I have about 7. I finally just decided to go see the fish instead of trying to fit them all in my house...

MikeFerrara:
Not to be picky but PADI was founded 41 years ago in 1966.

Ok wise guy. Now I don't fel so old.:D

After being out of high school for twenty years I went to college. I needed two PE credits. Scuba diving was offered. I took my basic one semester and my AOW the next.

Sailing, summers at the beach, and a salt water tank got me accept an offer to take a two drop snorkel trip with my brother. The first drop was in about 40 feet of water, and the sea was about 6 feet. I loved getting my butt kicked by the sea; reminded me of getting tumbled in the surf when I was a kid. Second drop was little shallower, and I was into the water about the point the DM said "pool's op.." *splash*.

The next day we visited a little place called Looe Key. Never ever dive or snorkel there! If you're not addicted, you will be! :D

A scuba diving friend and a Goliath Grouper that would not come out from under a ledge convinced me I needed to strap 50 lbs of gear on the next time I hit salt water. Can't wait to make my next splash!

A combination of Jacques Cousteau, Flipper, and adventure books by Willard Price did it for me in the 70's and early 80's. Snorkeled as a kid and as soon as I was able to in my Coast Guard I started diving. Never regretted a day. Now my two sons are diving as well.

Mike Nelson and the Sea Hunt series when I was a kid was what got me certified the first time. Left the sport when I moved to the Midwest and went to college, but got back into it when we went to the Caribbean and experienced what the ocean had to offer.

I had always wanted to do it finally a couple of friends who dive finally told me to stop talking about it and go to their local dive shop and sign up for lessons. I did and have never looked back.

Our parents made all four of us when we were 7, 9, 10 and 11.

Daddy said "Christmas is too commercial and a big waste of money....from now on WE ARE GOING DIVING!"

and we all said "BOOOOO, we don't want to go to the Caymans!" and he said "tough!"

catherine96821:
Our parents made all four of us when we were 7, 9, 10 and 11.

Daddy said "Christmas is too commercial and a big waste of money....from now on WE ARE GOING DIVING!"

and we all said "BOOOOO, we don't want to go to the Caymans!" and he said "tough!"

Wow! What a rough childhood!:D

I'll bet it sure beat out the Florida vacation that I was forced to take at age 17 instead of Christmas! Nothing like driving from NJ to FL in the back of a Toyota Tercel with a 5 yr old! And then all we did was sit at Dad's girlfriend's sister's place the whole time! About 5 days into the stay, I went absolutely ballistic and forced them to take me to the beach for a day!:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom