How would you guys plan this vacation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So here's the scoop...basically I was planning a trip to Bonaire next summer. I may have to "settle for less" because I've decided to attend paramedic school while I'm starting at UC Davis this fall because my course load is light, it's all lower division, and the classes themselves are basic (accounting, intro to computers, business law). So I'm probably going to be spending too much money on p-school since it's $8,750 to afford Bonaire next summer. I figure I'll probably at least be able to afford going to the Florida Keys.

My questions are as follows:

1) What Key would you recommend, Key Largo?

2) How would you book the trip? Find an all-inclusive deal, do it piecemeal, etc.? How?

3) What are your recommendations on dive ops?

4) Is shore diving an option there? I've heard not, will I be restricted to boat diving?

5) What sites would you use to book the trip?

6) Lastly, would you recommend a different location for a moderately-priced vacation? I'd like to do some diving outside of California, preferably tropical, so I'm just figuring Florida Keys will be slightly cheaper than Hawaii, and from what I hear, better diving. Thanks in advance guys!

I figure I'll probably at least be able to afford going to the Florida Keys.

My questions are as follows:

1) What Key would you recommend, Key Largo? One of many good choices along the overseas hiway for 80 miles, not including the last 20 into Key West.

2) How would you book the trip? Find an all-inclusive deal, do it piecemeal, etc.? How? AI in the Keys, never heard of one? Lots of economy hotels, and your choice of dive operator can help you find discounts.

3) What are your recommendations on dive ops? So many good ones, depends on your preferences and prices. Have you looked?

4) Is shore diving an option there? I've heard not, will I be restricted to boat diving? Nope

5) What sites would you use to book the trip? Unless your group is going to charter the boat, they'll tell you, but they'll take you to good ones. You probly don't need to be doing the 100 ft plus deep wrecks unless you're AOW & Nitrox.

6) Lastly, would you recommend a different location for a moderately-priced vacation? I'd like to do some diving outside of California, preferably tropical, so I'm just figuring Florida Keys will be slightly cheaper than Hawaii, and from what I hear, better diving. Thanks in advance guys! Cozumel. Probly fly there cheaper, etc.

But here is a good starting site for an idea: FLKeysDiveshops.com:ALL scuba dive shops in the Florida Keys for scuba divers Key West to Key Largo with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks You fly into Miami or Ft.Lauderdale, rent a car and head south.

For particular information, try our Florida forum...

1) What Key would you recommend, Key Largo? One of many good choices along the overseas hiway for 80 miles, not including the last 20 into Key West.

2) How would you book the trip? Find an all-inclusive deal, do it piecemeal, etc.? How? AI in the Keys, never heard of one? Lots of economy hotels, and your choice of dive operator can help you find discounts.

3) What are your recommendations on dive ops? So many good ones, depends on your preferences and prices. Have you looked?

4) Is shore diving an option there? I've heard not, will I be restricted to boat diving? Nope

5) What sites would you use to book the trip? Unless your group is going to charter the boat, they'll tell you, but they'll take you to good ones. You probly don't need to be doing the 100 ft plus deep wrecks unless you're AOW & Nitrox.

6) Lastly, would you recommend a different location for a moderately-priced vacation? I'd like to do some diving outside of California, preferably tropical, so I'm just figuring Florida Keys will be slightly cheaper than Hawaii, and from what I hear, better diving. Thanks in advance guys! Cozumel. Probly fly there cheaper, etc.

But here is a good starting site for an idea: FLKeysDiveshops.com:ALL scuba dive shops in the Florida Keys for scuba divers Key West to Key Largo with underwater tropical reef fish in John Pennekamp State Park and see maps of wrecks You fly into Miami or Ft.Lauderdale, rent a car and head south.

For particular information, try our Florida forum...

No all-inclusive packages for the Keys? Ah well. I haven't looked at the dive ops, no, I was just wondering if there were any bad ones to stay away from. Did you mean nope as in there's no shore diving or nope as in I won't be restricted to boat diving?

I meant sites to book the trip as in web sites, IE expedia, priceline, etc., not dive sites. Although I am AOW & Nitrox certified, however, I'm not wreck certified so I don't know how enjoyable the dive would be considering I'm not going to penetrate a wreck without training.

Thanks for the link and tips...I'll look at the Florida forum and take a look at Cozumel.

No all-inclusive packages for the Keys? Ah well. I haven't looked at the dive ops, no, I was just wondering if there were any bad ones to stay away from. Did you mean nope as in there's no shore diving or nope as in I won't be restricted to boat diving?

I meant sites to book the trip as in web sites, IE expedia, priceline, etc., not dive sites. Although I am AOW & Nitrox certified, however, I'm not wreck certified so I don't know how enjoyable the dive would be considering I'm not going to penetrate a wreck without training.

Thanks for the link and tips...I'll look at the Florida forum and take a look at Cozumel.
Oops sorry that was an either or question. Virtually no shore diving there. Okay, since you're AOW and Nitrox, you might be okay on the wrecks. Those trips are for divers to enjoy the wrecks and sea life from the outside, not inside. I haven't been in a couple of years now but used to go at least once a year, and those were my favs: Duanne, Bibb, Grove, Eagle, Busch. Wow, I finally checked our profile: Also Rescue certified with less than 50 dives? Train train train? Get ready for real learning now. :D

For air and car shopping, try Travel Deals: Cheap Travel Packages, Last Minute Deals - SideStep also known as Kayak something (they merged I think) and check the multi-site searching to check 6 or 8 travel sites at once. For local operators and hotels, ask the locals on the Florida forum.

But also look at close Baha diving - which I know nothing about, but your Calf forum buds will, as well as Cozumel. A quick check of Oakland to Miami for midweek, mid July travel looks like $375 (cheaper than I could get it probly) as compared to SFO to Cancun at around $500 on an airline I would not like to fly so maybe that idea is not so great. The Keys are great.

We have dove in Key Largo with Quiessence and Scuba Do and with Tilden's in Marathon. Both run smaller boats-- we love six packs and vowed never to go on another cattle boat. I would recommend any of the three dive ops. I have never seen an all inclusive offered there and have never seen shore diving.

Oops sorry that was an either or question. Virtually no shore diving there. Okay, since you're AOW and Nitrox, you might be okay on the wrecks. Those trips are for divers to enjoy the wrecks and sea life from the outside, not inside. I haven't been in a couple of years now but used to go at least once a year, and those were my favs: Duanne, Bibb, Grove, Eagle, Busch. Wow, I finally checked our profile: Also Rescue certified with less than 50 dives? Train train train? Get ready for real learning now. :D

For air and car shopping, try Travel Deals: Cheap Travel Packages, Last Minute Deals - SideStep also known as Kayak something (they merged I think) and check the multi-site searching to check 6 or 8 travel sites at once. For local operators and hotels, ask the locals on the Florida forum.

But also look at close Baha diving - which I know nothing about, but your Calf forum buds will, as well as Cozumel. A quick check of Oakland to Miami for midweek, mid July travel looks like $375 (cheaper than I could get it probly) as compared to SFO to Cancun at around $500 on an airline I would not like to fly so maybe that idea is not so great. The Keys are great.

Hmm, sounds good, I'll have to take a look into wreck diving there. Yeah, re: the Rescue with less than 50 dives, pretty much all I've been doing is training for close to a year. I'm actually not done because I'm starting up the PADI Divemaster program, however, I'm going to take my sweet ass time doing it because I'm 1) in no hurry and 2) I'll be doing paramedic school and UC Davis at the same time so I'll be busy.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I'll look into Baja diving, but from what I can see, I can get an all-inclusive trip to Cozumel for alittle under a grand according to a dive shop here so I may look into doing that...appreciate the info!

We have dove in Key Largo with Quiessence and Scuba Do and with Tilden's in Marathon. Both run smaller boats-- we love six packs and vowed never to go on another cattle boat. I would recommend any of the three dive ops. I have never seen an all inclusive offered there and have never seen shore diving.

Well, I don't mind cattle boats, I go on one everytime I go to Channel Islands, but I also wouldn't mind it not being crowded either. I'll take a look at those dive ops, thanks for the tip!

Cozumel is awesome if you can get decent airfare. Try Cozumel vacation accommodations Mexico - Bay Adventures Vacations for an all-inclusive package. Talk to your divemaster about restaurants off the beaten path. They will be cheaper and more interesting if you want to see the real Cozumel. If that doesn't work for you the keys are good too. You can get some good diving in on the cheap around largo and islamorada. Check out Dive with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida they have some very good dive packages and can help you out with some lodging too. I have dove with them and have no complaints. I like the Hungry Pelican for lodging. It's not fancy but it's right on the water and inexpensive. Try "Hobo's" for dinner. Great food and and a neat place.

Cozumel is awesome if you can get decent airfare. Try Cozumel vacation accommodations Mexico - Bay Adventures Vacations for an all-inclusive package. Talk to your divemaster about restaurants off the beaten path. They will be cheaper and more interesting if you want to see the real Cozumel. If that doesn't work for you the keys are good too. You can get some good diving in on the cheap around largo and islamorada. Check out Dive with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida they have some very good dive packages and can help you out with some lodging too. I have dove with them and have no complaints. I like the Hungry Pelican for lodging. It's not fancy but it's right on the water and inexpensive. Try "Hobo's" for dinner. Great food and and a neat place.

Wow, thanks for the tip! $100 for a 2 bed room in Largo doesn't seem bad at all, and $250 for five 2-tank boat dives is pretty damn cheap imo. Looks like I could do a trip for $500 plus airfare, not bad at all...

Don't be too quick to write off Bonaire. If you figure the total cost PER DIVE and do some cooking yourself you may be surprized at the difference. We typically average 3 dives a day and 5 are easily do-able if your up to it. I have a group going in July and the average cost per diver per week is in the $650 range (condo/truck/unlimited nitrox) plus tag/taxes $50+- and air. We got air from NC for less than $600 and it's still in the $600 range. This is for on the water accomidations, the cost can be less if you stay off the water. If you do some cooking in your room, you can keep the cost of food down, not something you can easily do elsewhere and the cost of food is about the same in the Keys vs Bonaire. On other thing to add into your thought process is the possibility of not diving due to weather, be a real bummer to fly somewhere and not be able to dive most or all week due to sea conditions. Been there done that, not much fun.

Hey...I am heading to Bonaire this Saturday....expensive? No way.....8 days including RT air, room, truck, nitrox, breakfast, etc......$1500.....

For me Bonaire is the cheapest place on earth!

reconsider your plan....

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom