HP100 vs LP95 steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't a more fair comparison to the HP100 be a LP85? I have both and prefer the LP-85's. No matter where I go, I have a hard time getting over 3100psi fills. I got sick of having to check pressures when I picked up the tanks or hooking up my gear on the boat to see that I only have 2900 or so in a HP tank.

The LP-85 has more air at every equivalent pressure across the board. An LP85 has 107cu/ft of air at 3100psi whereas a HP100 contains only 90cu/ft at the same pressure. The LP-85 has no problem being filled to 3500 and would contain 122cu/ft vs 100 on the HP100?? Both tanks are the same diameter with the HP100 being a little shorter. The LP tanks are $100.00 cheaper. The HP-100 tank just makes no sense to me at all.

Wouldn't a more fair comparison to the HP100 be a LP85? I have both and prefer the LP-85's. No matter where I go, I have a hard time getting over 3100psi fills. I got sick of having to check pressures when I picked up the tanks or hooking up my gear on the boat to see that I only have 2900 or so in a HP tank.

The LP-85 has more air at every equivalent pressure across the board. An LP85 has 107cu/ft of air at 3100psi whereas a HP100 contains only 90cu/ft at the same pressure. The LP-85 has no problem being filled to 3500 and would contain 122cu/ft vs 100 on the HP100?? Both tanks are the same diameter with the HP100 being a little shorter. The LP tanks are $100.00 cheaper. The HP-100 tank just makes no sense to me at all.

If you can convince the average tank monkey to fill a 2640 PSI tank to 3500, which is just shy of test pressure, more power to you.

LP85s are 7" tanks, not 7.25". Or, maybe you're thinking of different LP85s than I am.

I've got 2 single HP 100's and a twinset of LP 85's (Fabers) as well as a single LP 85, and both tank types make nice tanks, but here in Texas (not cave country) I rarely see overfills on any tanks here. You might get lucky on a local liveaboard used to filling AL80's and get an approx 3000 psi fill in one's LP 85 if they're not really paying close attention......or ask for and get a slight overfill on a tank locally at a tech-friendly LDS. One annoying LP 85 characteristic though is being 7" diameter, they don't fit snugly into a typical boat's 7.25" tank racks designed for the 'standard' AL80.

An HP100 is much closer to the HP equivalent of an LP80. They're almost identical in weight and dimensions, but one is rated for 3442 and the other for 2640 with an overfill.

Start with equivalent tanks and the HP beats the LP on everything except for price. I don't really know that there is an HP equivalent to an LP85, but if there were it would be something between an HP100 and an HP120. If you had compared your LP85's to HP120's you would have found the 120's had an edge in capacity at all pressures. Bigger volume + same pressure=higher capacity.

One other thing to consider regarding fills and pressure is the volume of air an HP tank can hold with an overfill. I've had my HP tanks filled with over 4000 psi on several occasions. I like those fills on my HP tanks, but I'd be very concerned if I found the same fill on one of my LP tanks.

If you're going to get LP95's, you may as well get HP119's instead. They have almost identical weight and dimensions, but the later is rated for 24 more cf of air. The only significant difference between the two is that one is rated for 2640 psi and the other for 3442 psi. I really can't see any reason why I'd want my tanks rated at a lower pressure. You can still fill an HP119 to 2640 if you want and dive with only 95 feet of air, but you can also have it filled to 3442 without being part of the Florida cave diving community.

I actually was thinking of this today. If the 119hp are the same size as the lp95's why not just get the 119's. In a year or two I do plan on doing doubles and start getting into tech diving.

I actually was thinking of this today. If the 119hp are the same size as the lp95's why not just get the 119's. In a year or two I do plan on doing doubles and start getting into tech diving.

if getting the 119's why not just get the 130's for a few dollars more and only 1.5" taller and a few pounds heavier? Although I prefer to dive my fabor lp95's with a cave country style fill. The fabors are lighter and really like that when packing them around . Although I love my lp72's cave country style filled :cool2:. After lugging around 130's the lp72's are lightweight's lol.

I love my 72's for solo diving. They're so light and narrow compared to my bigger tanks that you really notice the difference both on land and in the water. I'm somewhat of a big guy though, (6'/220), and my buddies wear HP100's, so if I dive with them with 72's then I always end up being the one that calls the dive. When I wear 119's I don't have that problem.

If you can convince the average tank monkey to fill a 2640 PSI tank to 3500, which is just shy of test pressure, more power to you.

LP85s are 7" tanks, not 7.25". Or, maybe you're thinking of different LP85s than I am.

Every tank monkey I've been to fills almost all tanks the same. You bring them a aluminum, lp steel, or hp steel and your gonna get the same fill. That is the problem with HP tanks. They fill em to 3500 hot and they cool to 3000-3100. Also, I am referring to Worthington hot dipped galvanized LP-85 tanks which are 7.25" diameter.

if getting the 119's why not just get the 130's for a few dollars more and only 1.5" taller and a few pounds heavier? Although I prefer to dive my fabor lp95's with a cave country style fill. The fabors are lighter and really like that when packing them around . Although I love my lp72's cave country style filled :cool2:. After lugging around 130's the lp72's are lightweight's lol.

im picking up the tanks mentioned used at a good savings. They dont have 130's just al 80 lp 95 hp 100 and hp 119's :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom