Hunting through too much information- help on finding a new camera/housing/strobe setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flybigjet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings to all--

So. Here's the thing. My last two underwater setups were a) a Canon Powershot G9, Ikelite housing and an Ikelite DS51 strobe and b) a GoPro Hero Silver w/ GoPro scuba housing, filter, two underwater floods and a custom AR-15 mount.

I put each setup together individually for our last big trip, and while they both worked well, there were a few issues-- the biggest being that was a TON of gear and accessories to lug halfway around the planet. I also found out that I'm just not much of a GoPro person-- watching the post-dive video's was pretty much like watching paint dry for a few days followed by a few minutes of "ok, that's cool".

Anyhow, lugging that much gear (that Ikelite stuff is BEYOND huge!) pretty much made me hate everything related to the rigs, so they both ended up going to better homes-- between the camera, housing, strobe, accessories, GoPro, filters, lights, mount, and its accessories I pretty much killed my entire carry-on.

And now I'm looking for a somewhat more suitable (for me and my wife's needs) replacement--

Background: Both my wife and I (the rig will be used by both) are experienced still photographers (I grew up in the mystical age of "black and white" and "darkroom", and have dabbled off and on for years. Depressingly, even though I used to TA photography in college and have literally worn out a few silk shutters, my wife has a better "eye" than I do (yeah, it pisses me off). Both of us have excellent breath/depth control and have been diving for 15-30 years, so managing a camera rig and diving aren't much of an issue.

My first thought was to find a housing for one of the various cameras we have laying around the house......Surprise-- nobody makes a housing (or at least a housing that costs less than a Lexus) for any of the camera's that we own.

Next thought? I was looking at the SeaLife DS2000 Pro Duo w/ light & strobe and was getting ready to pull the trigger as our joint Christmas present, but the reviews I've found are sort of..... "meh" (especially about SeaLife's bizarre lens choice), so I started to look for something else.

And quickly got overwhelmed. BlueWater and Reef Photo? I'm talking to you!

The SeaLife camera, sync's, flash and strobe were just about the size/package/price I wanted..... but the reviews were just negative enough to knock it out of consideration

What would I like? Something that's *reasonably* point and shoot underwater w/ the ability to modify ISO (I'll date myself by still calling it ASA), shutter and aperture priority, with TTL ability for the flash to sync to the camera. Essentially, something that I can forget about for 6-8 months, go on a trip, and not waste the entire vacation relearning how to take decent photographs underwater again. Video on the fly would be nice as well, but stills are the primary use. So..... camera, housing, sync and strobe (and maybe light if video works well). No full-on DSLR's or "Pro-Grade" stuff-- obviously, at the price point I'm looking at, I'm looking for something that works "good enough".

An "out of the box, ready to go" package is what I want. In hindsight, I probably should have kept my DS51 and tried to build up a smaller kit, but that's water under the bridge.

Price? Not much more than $1500 plus or minus a little bit. I just can't realistically justify much more than that considering that I'll only use whatever I get once or twice a year.

So. Suggestions? Reviews I can be pointed at? Personal recommendations? I haven't been paying attention at all to what's on the underwater camera/housing/strobe market lately; I turned on the computer and just about got buried.

So. A little help?

Thanks!

R.

Last edited:
OlympusTG-4 with the Olympus PT-056 UW housing, an Inon S-2000 strobe. High quality, excellent macro, RAW, can get the whole thing with tray and arms for maybe $1300 new.

OlympusTG-4 with the Olympus PT-056 UW housing, an Inon S-2000 strobe. High quality, excellent macro, RAW, can get the whole thing with tray and arms for maybe $1300 new.

Suggestions on were to look?

Thanks

That might be exactly what I'm looking for. Wife is "Super-Athlete-Girl", so the idea of a outdoorsy/camping/hiking/mountain biking/skiing/boarding/on the water camera appeals to her.

There's a new TG-5 model as well. Not sure if that housing works a strobe. Must research.

Suggestions on were to look?

Thanks
Amazon.com, WetPixel, Reef/Bluewater/Backscatter....the usual suspects. EBay if you are brave.

That might be exactly what I'm looking for. Wife is "Super-Athlete-Girl", so the idea of a outdoorsy/camping/hiking/mountain biking/skiing/boarding/on the water camera appeals to her.

There's a new TG-5 model as well. Not sure if that housing works a strobe. Must research.
I suggested the TG-4 becasue it and its housing are now cheaper, and you can still get them new. It has lesser video capability, but it's not bad for video. I was just on a trip with 18 people, and there were at least 6 TG-4s!

Thanks... I really appreciate it. This might be exactly what I'm looking for. There's also an Ikelite housing that's a bit more robust than the Olympus one, so that's a decision I'd have to make-- last dive I did at depth at Truk was at 175', so a housing that can reach that might be of the good. I think I might have found my wife's Christmas present!

Thanks again.

I have the TG4 with Ikelight housing and 2 sea and ys-d2s. Great set up but manual settings are very limited.

I have the TG4 with Ikelight housing and 2 sea and ys-d2s. Great set up but manual settings are very limited.

Could you elaborate on the lack of manual settings? From the review I watched, it rather came across that it had aperture/shutter settings as well as full manual focus.

TIA

Could you elaborate on the lack of manual settings? From the review I watched, it rather came across that it had aperture/shutter settings as well as full manual focus.

TIA
Aperture mode has 3 fstops...2, 2.8 and 8. There is no manual focus.

Back
Top Bottom