Hunting through too much information- help on finding a new camera/housing/strobe setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aperture mode has 3 fstops...2, 2.8 and 8. There is no manual focus.
Yes there is manual focus.. But it's a bit hidden.. Half press for focus then use arrow keys to change focus. It's in the manual

If a Canon G9 with an Ikelite housing and a single strobe was a ton of gear, then anything above a dedicated waterproof camera without a housing and lights (i.e. ambient only) won't feel very different. Sony RX100 series are awesome tiny cameras, and you can probably fit an RX100 V, a Meikon housing, a handle and a single Meikon ST-100 strobe or an Archon D36V light into your budget, but a rig is still a rig.

Yes there is manual focus.. But it's a bit hidden.. Half press for focus then use arrow keys to change focus. It's in the manual
I stand corrected but trying to use the manual focus in the housing would be pretty tough..IMO.

I would suggest staying away from the ikelite housing. The camera seems to fit too deep in the housing making buttons very hard to push. If you diving without gloves it almost hurts and make it very hard to hold the camera steady.

I would suggest staying away from the ikelite housing. The camera seems to fit too deep in the housing making buttons very hard to push. If you diving without gloves it almost hurts and make it very hard to hold the camera steady.
Your right the buttons on the ikelite housing are almost impossible to use. Maybe time for a different housing....

Also,
Also, the Ikelite housing does not have a window for the flash to shine through, so no self-contained macro or optical triggering for an add-on strobe.

I have the set up of the TG-5 with Olympus PT 58 housing. Inon tray with Single arm and an Inon S2000 strobe. I built it up here recently. Fits easily in my back-pack, feels robust, and easy to use. I do appreciate that I went out with just the camera snorkeling a few times for familiarity before putting it in the case and going under.
I don't have the years of UW photography experience, but I am happy with this set up and ease of use.
While I surely appreciate the reviews and information that Backscatter and UW put out here, I ordered through DiverVision.com: Online Shopping for Underwater Housings, Strobes, Lenses, Computers & more and was very happy with it. It comes from Taiwan, but I saved $100+ on tray/arm/strobe/cable set up. They shipped Express and got it to me timely.
I understand it doesn't go quite as deep, but in my research, I did cipher out that the Olympus Case was easier to use and had a more robust button, trigger set up. The flash cover was a bonus too. Possible to trigger flash w/o cables if needed.

Happy to answer any questions I may need to.

There are a lot of small and large improvements in the TG-5 that's aren't quickly noticed; 4K video, faster and more accurate low-light AF are a just couple.
But I'd suggest taking a look at an RX100IV or GX7MKII and a Fantasea Housing. They are much better made housings than the Melkon, and the cameras have a lot more to offer in terms of controls, video and much more.
We have some packages at good prices that are in stock. AND we support ScubaBoard AND offer support, which is a little hard to get from Taiwan.
As an example, please check out our FREE UW Photo Handbooks such as this one:
Choosing a Camera & Housing

Not much time to do research tonight-- have to sleep fast--

But, the RX100IV and the GX7MKII are on "the list" as well-- but price is definitely a consideration, and I think they're significantly pricier than the TG-5?

As well, the TG-5 might make a good travel (non-scuba) camera on Road Trips as well.

So much information, from so many sources. So little time.

R.

My Meikon housing has been working well for me. But, they only make housings for a small number of cameras that will go to 60m. Most of their housings are only rated for 40m. (the OP mentioned a dive to 175')

However, their housing for the Sony a600/6300/6500 is rated for 60m. It is compatible with a few different lenses. And it's only $256.

Sony A6500/A6300/A6000 60m/195ft SeaFrogs Underwater Camera Housing

A camera like the A6x00 plus a housing is going pretty much right back to the size the OP didn't like. But, unless you get something like the Olympus TG4 or 5, nothing is going to be a LOT smaller. Even the TG doesn't seem THAT much smaller, if you are putting it in a housing. So, it comes down to how much image quality you're willing to trade off for a smaller size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom