Hunting through too much information- help on finding a new camera/housing/strobe setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Meikon housing has been working well for me. But, they only make housings for a small number of cameras that will go to 60m. Most of their housings are only rated for 40m. (the OP mentioned a dive to 175')

Their universal housing for RX100 series is rated to 60M, same as the one for A6xxx series - they're built along very similar lines. The big advantage of Fantasea housing over Meikon, in this case, is access to the rear dial of the camera, which the Meikon (as well as Sony's own housing) lacks - and since RX100 lacks any other dials, this can be considered significant, especially since Fantasea's price premium, in this case, is smaller than usual ($400 vs $256, compared, for example to $975 for Fantasea FA6500 to the same $256 for SeaFrogs A6xxx).

I have a TG-4 in the Olympus housing and while it's a great little camera, there are some pretty serious limitations, especially for someone from the "old school" (like me). There is no full manual mode, and there is no shutter priority mode. You can control the ISO, but it can choose some maddeningly low shutter speeds when the ambient light is low. A powerful focus light might help, but that's more gear. TG-5 is the same, I think.

I learned in a darkroom, too. Given your description, I feel like you would be happier with one of the 1" sensor models. If you go with a Fantasea housing and maybe a 2nd hand YS-D1 strobe, you could still come in under budget.

The TG-4/5 are awesome cameras - don't get me wrong. You never have to worry about flooding and you can generally abuse them. And for really close up Macro work, they can produce some great results. But I think the RX-100/G7XII/LX10 type cameras will be more satisfying overall for you.

Oh-- as far as gear, bear in mind that I was carrying camera, housing, plate, strobe, GoPro, mount, dual lights, batteries, chargers (for camera, GoPro, strobe, and floods) and associated paraphernalia. That was just too much.

Also, I never really fell in love with the G9. I tend to like the Olympus and Fuji lines of camera's, and the G9 was sort of an impulse buy-- mostly because I'd found an UW housing for it.

Nice camera-- I just never quite "fell in love" with it-- additionally, since my wife and I had a bunch of cameras, it was always going to be a "dive only" camera; I'd like to find one that I can use (well, more my wife, honestly) on vacations, road trips, etc. The "Tough" part of the TG-5 appeals for that reason.

Obviously, a camera, housing, plate and strobe are going to take up some room, but maybe a slightly smaller housing, strobe body and a lot few batteries and various chargers for them wouldn't be a bad idea.

Here's a snap of my last rig....

Canon.jpg

Yeah, that perfectly rectangular Ikelite housing does look ungainly, and there seems to be a lot of air inside it. You can see the fit of Meikon's A6xxx housing here - it's hard to tell, but it's probably smaller than Ikelite's G9: Underwater housing for Sony A6500 with 16-50mm lens

This is what my kit looks like, prepared for packing:

WP_20171010_12_25_52_Pro.jpg

RX100 will be a little bit smaller, I suppose.

If you a really wanting small then the TG-4/5 is hard to beat. The issue is there's no manual mode, my daughter has one but she's out of the country at the moment, but I seem to recall a work around using TTL flash for macro where it had a minimum flash sync speed you could set of maybe it was the default minimum for auto flash, set that f 8 and ISO 100 so the scene is 100% flash lit. An article discusses it here: TG-4 Remote Slave Flash for TTL with External Strobes

for non flash work set it to f2.8 in Av ISO100 and UW white balance works pretty well. You can assign macro to custom mode 1 and wide angle to custom mode 2.

Just add on an INON S200 strobe and you've got a compact little package. The S2000 is a better strobe than the Ikelite one you had, very small you could support on a locline arm. Just keep in mind it's a small sensor and images rapidly get noisy above ISO100 and don't have a lot of latutude for processing after the fact unless well exposed, having RAW is a big bonus.

I just upgraded my camera, and went with a Sony A6000 and a with a Nauticam housing (and vacuum seal), 2 ports, a pair of Sea&Sea YS-03 strobes and an iDAS tray/arms. I can fit everything into my carry on.

The A6000 is a couple generations old (A6300 & A6500 are the current ones) and housings might be a challenge to find, but I have read really good things about the FantaSea housing for the A6500.

I just did a trip with the A6000 and I really like it. I can only imagine what the newer models would be like.

I think the OP’s idea of “too much gear” may be average or little to some of us. It’s all relative...

Not much time to do research tonight-- have to sleep fast--

But, the RX100IV and the GX7MKII are on "the list" as well-- but price is definitely a consideration, and I think they're significantly pricier than the TG-5?

As well, the TG-5 might make a good travel (non-scuba) camera on Road Trips as well.

So much information, from so many sources. So little time.

R.

A few people have mentioned the RX100IV. I have it and it’s an amazing camera underwater and on land. For its size, it’s incredible. It packs a f1.8 lens full range to f11, super fast shutter speed (up to 1/32,000), and shoots 4K. I have the Nauticam housing with vacuum valve and no function of the camera is lost in the housing. I’m not going to pretend it’s not an expensive housing - it is - but when you get your hands on one, you soon know why. It’s depth rated to 100 meters/328 feet so far below what you would need it for at 175 feet. The housing and tray are not that small and when you add on arms and strobes, it becomes bigger though it does collapse easily. Add in the lenses (wide with dome port and macro), batteries and chargers for strobes, and you’re packing quite a bit of stuff.

If you want to keep it simple you can use a video light that mounts on top of the cold shoe or on a single arm for lighting. Skip the lenses and strobes and keep it minimalist. That will cut down on weight and other “bloat” like ball mounts and arms, etc. you won’t have to deal with batteries for strobes and as many chargers. Sola video lights might be great for you - charge and forget about it - no leaks because there’s nothing to open. No batteries to carry or lose. Just the charger. More time to relax and dive. :) they can also be used as a dive light.

The RX100 is more expensive than the TG 4 or 5 but can be had like new on eBay for a little more than the TGs. You can sometimes find open box as well. While the Olympus is more rugged and better for general outdoor, the photographer in you will appreciate the specs and manual modes, picture quality of the RX more especially when topside. Long exposures, darker and more challenging conditions, action shots, etc.

Many companies make a housing for the RX100 so check them out. You can get them within your budget.

Highly recommend but agree the Olympus is easy and excellent value for what it is. Let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
There's actually pages on the websites for the major UW photos shops which have packages available so you can compare :
Compact Underwater Photo Systems
Products | Bluewater Photo & Video
Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video

The fantasea RX100 housing and strobe package looks like good value and will be right around your $1500 limit if you get RX100V. You could opt for an earlier model as B&H for example is selling RX100 II, III and IV cameras for significant discount over the latest model. The TG4/5 is nice but the RX100 with the big sensor is going to be much more forgiving and produce better shots with higher ISO settings. I'd suggest the Fantasea package: Fantasea RX100III/IV/V Underwater Housing Value System and the RX100III or IV.

There's actually pages on the websites for the major UW photos shops which have packages available so you can compare :
Compact Underwater Photo Systems
Products | Bluewater Photo & Video
Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video

The fantasea RX100 housing and strobe package looks like good value and will be right around your $1500 limit if you get RX100V. You could opt for an earlier model as B&H for example is selling RX100 II, III and IV cameras for significant discount over the latest model. The TG4/5 is nice but the RX100 with the big sensor is going to be much more forgiving and produce better shots with higher ISO settings. I'd suggest the Fantasea package: Fantasea RX100III/IV/V Underwater Housing Value System and the RX100III or IV.

On that note, I suggest getting the IV instead of the V. Reports are the battery life is better which is important when you’re underwater. Added bonus as mentioned is it’s cheaper! There are apparently improvements on how fast it can focus but when you’re underwater I don’t think that’ll move the needle enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom