Hunting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon:
but seriously i wonder if there are any sites where you can maybe catch lobster or assorted shellfish for personal consumption

in that case, i brought my gear and tanks to several places where you can do pretty much what you like. there are some risks then, but if you are a risk taker and have planned well (you should have arranged to stay in a friends barangay) , then you may enjoy your adventure.

places where you may bring your tank and do whatever you may (where i have been);

Cebu - get tanks at scuba world and go to some seaside barangay maybe 2 hours from the city . Great white beaches and the countour is so much fun for spear and hunting stuffs. white sands crystal clear water there are clumps of rocks and coral formations where you go hunting for meal size critters.

Morong, Bataan- not so whitesand, however here there are some dynamite fishing still so make sure you go when they have finished their dynamiting. quite exciting and risky, here you get a rush of dodging those blasted explosions. i even saw two unexploded bottles of them explosives.

Lobo, Batangas - Here there is only one air compressor at andrea resort (if i remember the name right) it takes some 15 to 20 mins to fill up on 80cu AL. here you dodge fishing lines, but if you have a guy up informing approaching fishermen, it would be alright. just don't go to where they are currently fishing or they will really get mad

before El Capitan where the owners do a lot of spear fishing at ligpo bahura, they have a couple of 7ft spears, but now the owners leased the resort to the now Divers Sanctuary , i don't know if they allow this sport. maybe i don't know.

what is least destructive mode of fishing?

a. muro ami style fishing
b. drag net fishing
c. hook and line fishing
d. spear fishing
e. drift net fishing
f. cyanide fishing
g. dynamite fishing

paolov:
what is least destructive mode of fishing?

a. muro ami style fishing
b. drag net fishing
c. hook and line fishing
d. spear fishing
e. drift net fishing
f. cyanide fishing
g. dynamite fishing

love your analogy bro! i may borrow this when i demand to go spearfishing:)

Spoon:
love your analogy bro! i may borrow this when i demand to go spearfishing:)

make sure you don't break any laws (i.e. in sanctuaries, and safety of others)

safe diving.

Hi,
If you like try Lubang island in Mindoro. Theres lots of grouper 5-10 kls and lots of lobster at cabra island during nite dives. the site is only shallow at cabra, only 20-40 ft.
The ist island is Ambil then Lubang then Cabra. We have done spearfishing there before during the 90's-to late 90's . We really caught a lot of fishes. Snappers , groupers tuna and rainbow runner, wahoo. On a normal trio a diver would certainly bring home a cooler of fishes( 20 kls).You can also try fishing there, Fishing is good, there are always fishing tournaments held during Aug-Oct. there.
But be very careful of spearfishing at Lubang, Local fishermen says that a lot of hooka divers died in that place. Well back in the 80's indeed one of my friend Pastora Olivares ( store manager of Aquaventure Phils. makati) was lost while spearfishing. During the dive she was with a buddy but after her buddy surfaced bec. of low air she went on bec. she still has a lot of air. But she never surfaced anymore.
Hope this helps.

nice rejoinder

gaudencio:
But be very careful of spearfishing at Lubang, Local fishermen says that a lot of hooka divers died in that place. Well back in the 80's indeed one of my friend Pastora Olivares ( store manager of Aquaventure Phils. makati) was lost while spearfishing. During the dive she was with a buddy but after her buddy surfaced bec. of low air she went on bec. she still has a lot of air. But she never surfaced anymore.
Hope this helps.

paolov:
nice rejoinder

excuse my ignorance but may i ask what are the causes of these spearfishing deaths? low on air situations? going to deep? etc etc? jsut curious

Spoon:
excuse my ignorance but may i ask what are the causes of these spearfishing deaths? low on air situations? going to deep? etc etc? jsut curious

it may be tied to when the safety issue was ignored or put second to the thrill of the moment.

like what was relayed to me during a spear fishing instance in LOBO, batangas. they speared a huge grouper, and that was the last they ever did as they were nearly killed, most probably thats where they got DCS. the guy already has a limp and paralisis on his one side BUT HEY HE STILL DIVES !!!! i must admit i admire his love of the sport.

however it may happen that OOA situation may develop while you want to get your trophy and show it to the buddies up on the surface. and things happen in an instant, strong current may have set, low on air , entanglement of equipment-it may happen that the spears get locked tight on rocks and corals. got stung by a lethal animal.... etc. hence the redundancy of a buddy is always good practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom