Huracan vs Itza's... any input?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK Stoo, as you may know, I'm a GBH fan but even as close as Hurracan, I'd only want to dive it once a week or so. How often do you dive it when you stay at Hurracan's?

OK Stoo, as you may know, I'm a GBH fan but even as close as Hurracan, I'd only want to dive it once a week or so. How often do you dive it when you stay at Hurracan's?
Generally once or twice as the guests prefer... Diving it with Huracan is an entirely different experience than diving it from one of 5 boats all dumping a dozen divers in at the same time...

I believe it!I Do you ever dive the portion with more caverns and a swim through or two? Do the guides ever relax enough to let you down to the sandy ledge?

I believe it!I Do you ever dive the portion with more caverns and a swim through or two? Do the guides ever relax enough to let you down to the sandy ledge?

We do both sides, and yes. We have been discussing with them how to dive this dive more safely, with slung stages etc. It used to concern them, but we had an interesting chat about how they would manage an OOA situation if a guest came at them at 130', truly out of air. I think that they would have trouble making a controlled ascent from that depth with enough gas to do any deco or safety stops...

Mrs. Stoo and I generally get down to 170' to 180' and have about a 75 minute run time... and still have an untouched spare 80.

I shot this in March... It's called "Lonely Ed". I was about 170' looking up at our captain/spare DM who was waiting for the other guests to come back to him before ascending. He is in about 130' I think. Mrs. Stoo and I went the other direction on our own... so that I could take this pic! ;-)

Lonely Ed sm © DSC_8737.jpg

Ooooos and aaaawws. :)

Doesn't Hurracan's put tanks at 15-20'? Or is your painted scenario assuming the ascent won't be near the boat?

Ooooos and aaaawws. :)

Doesn't Hurracan's put tanks at 15-20'? Or is your painted scenario assuming the ascent won't be near the boat?

As you know, the typical GBH dive heads "over and down" so a direct ascent from the furthest point could have the divers maybe 150' away from any hung tanks (which Huracan does have, as do the others). Trying to get an airhog and a DM (or other guest) up from 130' on maybe 2000 psi or even less in a single 80 is not likely to end well. In our case, we have also incurred a lot of deco, so a direct ascent isn't going to have a suitable outcome.

Sorry to take this thread off track...

Last edited:
It's your first dive of the day. :) probably not going to be bent but even if so, better to be on the surface than not, yes?

How far do you think the two could ascend before having to blow and go?

You know, since we're a bit off topic anyway?

LOL. Who knows. We had a large gent on the boat one time (from ITZA) and he could suck a 100 dry I'm about 20 minutes in 60'. Mercifully, he chose not to dive in the big hole.

Just as he should not have done, nor should Itza crew have taken him had he chosen unwisely.

For those of you out there that would like to dive out at the Atolls and don't want to dive to the stalactites in the GBH and yet don't want to miss a dive either, it should be noted that as long as there is a spare dive guide available to you, you can still get a reasonable dive there and you may very well have a better shark sighting experience than those who've gone into the Hole.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom