Hurricane again???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oceancat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
where the heck did this tropical storm danny or whatever his name is come from? I just moved to NC finally and am scheduled to go out this weekend both days with Discovery Divers. The last time I had diving planned, same thing! Does anyone know when dives generally get called here--the day of or the night before? How bad does it get before dive ops will call the trip? Just curious as I will have a long drive from Chapel Hill and will be bummed if I get up at 3am to get to the charter on time and then it gets called once I get to the coast. thanks for the info. Also--what % nitrox should I get 28 or 30? In New England, we determine the dives we are doing ahead of time, so I know what my depth will be and it's easier to plan. Thanks in advance for the help.

Yeah, it sucks. I am supposed to being going out this weekend too, on a trip rescheduled from a month or so ago, also blown out. I am trying to be optimistic, but it's not looking good. Well I guess there's always Rawlings for a Plan B. Dive Fest is this weekend, in support of DAN. Welcome to North Carolina!:wink:

BTW, I usually use 30%, should be sufficient for most dives, but check with your charter op as to what they recommend. Oh and I'm not sure what criteria they use before they call a trip, sorry.

Cheers,
Lilla

Me too, was heading to Hatteras tomorrow. Now I'm wondering if I should even start driving. Of course I'll lose my deposit on the hotel if I don't go. But don't know when they will call the diving or if. Geez!

From Ohio? Man, that really does suck! And I impress myself with my little five hour drive. Well, if you can't get your deposit back and decide to come anyway, there are other fun things to do on the coast. Just post in this forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of good stuff.

With most named storms, dive boat operators will call the trip with enough advance notice to avoid travel the day before or morning of the dive. This storm is very uncertain in path and intensity, so it is too early to call at this point, although I agree, it doesn't look all that good for Saturday. At this time, Sunday still looks ok.

In the absence of a major weather maker, most dive operators make the call in the morining of the dive after assessing the current weather and with the 10 hour forecast taken into consideration.

Best of luck. I am booked to run Sat/Sun/Mon so I have my fingers crossed as well.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I will get my tanks filled tomorrow and be optimistic. I can' t wait to see what NC diving is like. granted after 13-25' seas on Fri., my guess is the viz will be very new englandy! At least you guys have more fish to look at and I don't have to dive dry :D I have nothing unpacked in my house except the dive gear. Priorities.

Got a call this morning letting me reschedule everything. Thank goodness.

Would have come down anyhow, but don't want to sit in a hotel room in the rain. Would much rather go when I can be out in the sun.

As it turned out, we did get to go out both Saturday and Sunday. Topside conditions weren't too bad really, about a 4' swell but with a long enough period that it wasn't too uncomfortable (for me anyway). The bottom viz was very poor on Saturday, we had about 10' one th U-352 and only about 4' on the Aeolus. Sunday things were improving and we had about 20' on the Schurz. Personally, I was happy to be diving and had a good time.

As it turned out, we did get to go out both Saturday and Sunday. Topside conditions weren't too bad really, about a 4' swell but with a long enough period that it wasn't too uncomfortable (for me anyway). The bottom viz was very poor on Saturday, we had about 10' one th U-352 and only about 4' on the Aeolus. Sunday things were improving and we had about 20' on the Schurz. Personally, I was happy to be diving and had a good time.

Who did you dive with? I think I know. I called my trip Saturday from Durham, and Sunday from the dock based on some other info I got here in Morehead, but it sounds like you guys made the best of it. We went to the Naeco today (Monday) and had 60+ feet.

I went out with Bobby Cox on the Diver Down. I don't think any of the other ops went out, but our LDS had chartered the whole boat so we discussed it and decided to chance it. Glad we did.

Back
Top Bottom