Hurricane Season at Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdann

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know when is hurricane season at Coz?

Im scheduled to go in the middel of August. Should I be concerned? :06:

Yes, it's hurricane season in August. No, I wouldn't be concerned.

We've spent two-weeks in Cozumel each August for the past fifteen years. Twice, during those times, the island was threatened by storms. Both times, the hurricanes did not hit the island. We lost two days of diving due to high winds/rain.

The odds are that you won't have any problems. There's always a remote possiblity that the island will get hit while you're there, but it's more likely that it won't.

As a big city diver, I dont know much about hurricanes, im comfortable with earthquakes, but hurricanes blow.

hmmm..... Well if you have been there 2 weeks for the past 15 years during that time, and you haven't had any major probs, then it sounds pretty good. Woo-hoo. I will keep crossing my fingers that it all goes well.

Do you know of any events or festivals during the month of August?

This is going to be my second time there, and I can't wait. I love this place. I'm also scheduled for a tour of Tulum.

The cabbie I talked to said April to September was hurricane season.

There might be better sources for your weather information needs than my cabbie, though.

diverdann:
As a big city diver, I dont know much about hurricanes, im comfortable with earthquakes, but hurricanes blow.

hmmm..... Well if you have been there 2 weeks for the past 15 years during that time, and you haven't had any major probs, then it sounds pretty good. Woo-hoo. I will keep crossing my fingers that it all goes well.

Do you know of any events or festivals during the month of August?

This is going to be my second time there, and I can't wait. I love this place. I'm also scheduled for a tour of Tulum.

Dan,

Here's the link to the Cozumelinsider calendar - it doesn't look like there's much going on in August.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Events

peebee:
The cabbie I talked to said April to September was hurricane season.

There might be better sources for your weather information needs than my cabbie, though.

I imagine so. Wasn't Wilma in October?

The official end of Atlantic hurricane season is November 30th, but the way the environment is warming, it may be year round before too long.

Carribean Hurricane season is officially June1-Nov 30th, though things have been known to happen earlier or later occasionally. The middle of August is getting near the peak of hurricane season. But people obviously go all year round, and the odds of getting hit in any particular place at any particular time aren't too bad. (Although the odds of having crappy weather and things stirred up from a storm that's a distance away are a little higher.)

In theorey, different areas tend to have peaks at different times, see here.

Hurricane season for the Atlantic basin is from the first of June thru November 30th offically. As we've seen this year they can arrive early or late, but that's the offical tracking season.

The majority of hurricanes forming in the western caribbean are in late season, after August, but again that's just past records and when they decide to form is totally unpredictable.

Having said that, I wouldn't book my vacation with worries about hurricanes. Cozumel actually rarely gets hit by one, this year of course was an exception, but not including the 2 this year I think they have only been hit by 2 other MAJOR (above cat.2), hurricanes in the past 100 years, Charlie in 1951 and Gilbert in 1988.

Here's a link to Cozumel's hurricane history http://www.hurricanecity.com/city/cozumel.htm

From what I have been reading, people's experiences over the last 15 yers may not be a reliable indicator of your chances of getting hit by a storm. Last year (2004) was one of the worst hurricane years in history, and this year blew it completely away. Cozumel, rarely hit as it is, took two shots in one year, and the year before a tropical storm hit it big time, pouring tons of rain on it and flooding the island badly.

Apparently for the preceding 20 years or more we were in a lull for hurricane activity, and we are officially out of that lull now. Everything I have heard says that the next few years will be smilar to the last two.

That being said, I am toying with the idea of going to Cozumel next summer, and I won't let any of these thoughts get in my way. Whether or not I do will be based totally on other issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom