HydroOptix ZERO-d masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda:
It looks like the new masks have purges too. They seem to be pointed in a different angle (down instead of back toward the face). I wonder if you could seal the valves closed in order to create some positive pressure?

I have had some interesting effects with masks in the past and maybe my nasal physiology has something to do with my problems. I have been snorkeling before with a mask that had no purge. The mask actually squeezed in on my face so much that it hurt. I kept blowing into it but it kept sucking down on my face.

I have noticed that with the 4.5 dd that I get some squeeze if I don't adjust my regulator up a little. I also have seen the actual leak in the mask (I filled it with water and watched a little river drip out around the top right. I did not get a new gasket with the replacement lens (I never changed it until this week) and the HO rep told me to let her know if I have problems - they could get me a new gasket. These guys are great, they could just sell the mask and leave me to deal with the problems but they haven't. They've been helpful from the start. I'll be looking pretty hard at buying the 3.5 when it becomes available.

A lot of mask I have seen on the market does not have valves, for the hydro mask, do you guys think there is a particular reason why the design need valves? Besides the valves, does the curvature of the mask makes it hard to fit more people, or because the skirt is thin and therefore less cushioning, which makes it harder to fit all? I think when the skirt is thinner then the lens would be closer to face less tunnel vision but it is also harder to form good cushioning.

alo100:
A lot of mask I have seen on the market does not have valves, for the hydro mask, do you guys think there is a particular reason why the design need valves? Besides the valves, does the curvature of the mask makes it hard to fit more people, or because the skirt is thin and therefore less cushioning, which makes it harder to fit all? I think when the skirt is thinner then the lens would be closer to face less tunnel vision but it is also harder to form good cushioning.

The lense design does not seem to be the issue, I find the skirt to be bigger and more substantial than any other mask I have every uses. I believe the issue is that any water tends to pool in the bottom of the lense, making it more of an issue than other masks. Understand the intent, just that the end is not that effective. (still a great mask to wear)

Puffer Fish:
The lense design does not seem to be the issue, I find the skirt to be bigger and more substantial than any other mask I have every uses. I believe the issue is that any water tends to pool in the bottom of the lense, making it more of an issue than other masks. Understand the intent, just that the end is not that effective. (still a great mask to wear)

I've heard that it's the valves which contributed the leaks, but I have heard from another forum that it's the fit to the face which makes leakages also possible as the skirts. Is it like the lens are covering more area, and contour... anyway...

My mask leak comes from the skirt mostly. If I wear sunblock on my face it gets worse - no seal is created. If I smile or turn my head too far it leaks more. I also have a small leak where the lens meets the frame. The purge valves have never given me a problem as far as leaks are concerned. The valves are supposed to counter the high volume clearing issue - I could clear the mask without them but some folks have problems with high volume masks. The new 3.5 says the valves screw off for cleaning, I bet they would be easier to block than the 4.5.

Yes, but what is the value of this new style mask? I have guage readers molded right into the plastic lens of my mask, I hate the glue on ones that have a huge funky visual step to where it stops. Don't know if the new Hydroptix has gauge reader capability.

My wife tried out the 4.5D that I got her at DEMA, she absolutely loves it, which makes me feel better since I bought it on a hunch that it would work. The price was very nice.

There is only one problem, she can't read her dive computer. It could be a combination of things, first is needing mild reading glass prescription, second is that she is about a 3.5D (yes that would be the logical thing to do) but gradually moving to the 4.5D. She doesn't have any problems seeing in the pool with the mask otherwise.

The only things I've been able to think of are the stick on bifocal lenses, which could be real tricky to figure out not to mention will they stick on a curved lense. Or possibly getting a magnifier for the computer, if there is such a thing.

Anyone have an idea of anything that might help.

I have the same problem focusing up close (can't see computer and the LCD on my camera). My eyes are actually too good for the mask. I'm at -3.25 and the mask corrects for -4.5 so I wear +1.25 contacts to make it easier to see up close. It's not miraculous but it does help quite a bit. The contacts are not as likely to be lost as the stick on magnifiers - I know because I lost one when I tried that route :D.

I would probably go 1.00 and might even try the 1.25.

Back
Top Bottom