Hyperbaric Chamber explosion? in Fort Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel for the little one. I have been blown up before. Literally. Not just a little burn but blown up. Mine landed me in the hospital for a few days and in recovery for about 5 weeks. I can say this about getting blown up. It is horrific pain that I wouldn't wish on anyone!!!!!!!! They have my deepest simpathy and my thoughts and prayers go out for them.

More Bad/Sad News

Woman dies a day after explosion at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea hyperbaric clinic

Italian woman's death is first from oxygen chamber in U.S.; 4-year-old boy remains in critical condition

By Rachel Hatzipanagos | South Florida Sun Sentinel 5:47 PM EDT, May 2, 2009 LAUDERDALE-BY-THE-SEA - A 62-year-old Italian tourist badly burned in an explosion at a Lauderdale-By-The-Sea clinic died this morning. Her 4-year-old grandson, who was with her in the private clinic's oxygen chamber, remains in critical condition.

The cause of Friday's explosion at the Ocean Hyperbaric Oxygen Neurologic Center is under investigation, officials said. Three of the hyperbaric chambers were taken as evidence and will be looked over by experts, said Broward Sheriff's Office spokesman Mike Jachles.

The victims were identified by the Sheriff's Office today as Vincenza Pesce and Franchesco Martinizi, both of Italy.

Pesce's death was the first from an oxygen chamber explosion in the United States, industry officials said.

Related links

"These treatments have been around for 50 years and it's a very safe treatment if done correctly," said Hope Fine, who owns and operates a Deerfield Beach hyperbaric clinic called the South Florida Center for H.O.P.E.. Oxygen chambers, also called hyperbaric chambers, are commonly used to treat diving injuries, and various other illnesses and wounds.

Pesce and Martinizi were flown to Jackson Memorial Hospital's burn unit Friday. They both had serious burns over 90 percent of their bodies. Family from Italy have traveled to South Florida to visit them, Jachles said.

There are about a half-dozen free-standing hyperbaric clinics in South Florida, said Shannon Kenitz, director of the Hacienda Heights, Calif.-based International Hyperbarics Association, which issues safety guidelines for clinics. About four of South Florida's hyperbaric clinics are approved by the IHA, Kenitz said; the center where the explosion occurred is not among them.

Unless a clinic is approved as a Medicare provider, there is no state regulation of the centers, Fine said.

The types of chambers used at the clinic appeared to be older chambers, Jachles said. Investigators do not yet know if any charges will be filed.

Individual clinics are required to keep track of maintenance records, Fine said. She said she urges patients seeking treatment to request the clinic's maintenance records for the chambers. The manufacturer of her equipment preforms once-a-year maintenance, Fine said.

"The particular chamber that they showed on the news they haven't made in 30 years," she said.

The center was founded in 1972 by Dr. Richard Neubauer, who died in 2007. Corporate records list his widow, Winnie, 83, of Pompano Beach, as its current manager. She could not be reached for comment Saturday.

Staff Writers Rafael Olmeda, Mike Clary and Alexia Campbell contributed to this report. Rachel Hatzipanagos can be reached at rhatzipanagos@SunSentinel.com or 954-385-7946.

The first deputy to arrive at the first-floor clinic found the room engulfed in heavy smoke and flames.

"The hyperbaric bed, according to the deputy, was on fire," Jachles said. "He risked his own life to go in there and pull this little boy out."

It is important to mention this guy had no fire retardant gear, special equipment, fire science training or any other attribute in which he thought he could do this without great harm to himself but he rushed in where the angels (hospital staff who where there the whole time) feared to go. This is the sort of Valor that makes me proud to be a D/S.

Well said Eric,

Stay safe Brother.......

Wildbill :police:

I feel for the little one. I have been blown up before. Literally. Not just a little burn but blown up. Mine landed me in the hospital for a few days and in recovery for about 5 weeks. I can say this about getting blown up. It is horrific pain that I wouldn't wish on anyone!!!!!!!! They have my deepest simpathy and my thoughts and prayers go out for them.

Just curious.. How were you blown up??

My heart goes out to the victims of this incident. As for the deputy, that ran in there - thats balls up effort- excellent job. The boy is still alive because of you.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
Just curious.. How were you blown up??

I was working with a gas company filling a propane tank on a consession stand and someone left the pilot lights on inside. When the gas hit the system it created a fireball inside the stand and exploded out through the walls and windows. I was about one foot from the fire as it come out of the building and I was surrounded by the flames.
Thats the nutshell version. When I met you in person I will tell you the story in detail. It just too much to type.

I was working with a gas company filling a propane tank on a consession stand and someone left the pilot lights on inside. When the gas hit the system it created a fireball inside the stand and exploded out through the walls and windows. I was about one foot from the fire as it come out of the building and I was surrounded by the flames.
Thats the nutshell version. When I met you in person I will tell you the story in detail. It just too much to type.

Ok. Maybe at next months m&g at carrimark. If you will be attending.

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
Ok. Maybe at next months m&g at carrimark. If you will be attending.

I'm not sure if I'll be there but I'll try. If not when we meet up just remind me and I'll tell you the story.

I'm not sure if I'll be there but I'll try. If not when we meet up just remind me and I'll tell you the story.

ok. I think the last time I saw you was in Brandon last year for a m&g. Off topic, if I understand it correctly. do you work at the aquarium downtown tampa? Either way I've been meaning to go but haven't. Going to go soon. I move here from Miami 14 yrs ago. Been putting off too long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom