I am planning a spring break in Miami FL for diving.. need some advice here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not to hijack Yukoneer's thread with woes of rental car returns- thanks for the info. On one trip I was pressed for time and did what I could to find gas, but wound up returning the car dry. The rental return guy cut me a break, which saved me $50 or $60. I figured that might be a crushing blow to Spring Breakers on a budget, so thought the warning was appropriate. Thanks for the info!

Check out Amy's place for your charter. I spent a week with them this past April, they are in Key Largo, I had a great experience with them and highly recommend you check them out.
http://www.amoray.com/

thanks WV Diver. by the way, I reside in Lost Creek, WV - not too far from you! I am in rochester, ny for college now.

MB:
I lived in MyYami for many years, and generally dove north or south of the city unless I was on a private boat. The dive ops in there are typically pretty shoddy. Lots of slick people being cool, cell phones ringing during surface intervals, no-information briefings (if they bother to give a briefing), etc. Leave on time? (maybe, probably not) Head to the site you booked on the phone? (usually not because the DM or capt is trying to hustle one of the bikinied tourist customers rather than attending to the diving.)

I once booked a trip out of Key Biscayne and never did find out who the DM was, or what sites we dove. How did I know who the capt was? I'm assumming it was the cat who was at the capt station the longest (one guy stayed there about 50% of the time; two others split the remainder of the time. There was no briefing)

Too bad the dive ops are so poor quality, because there is some fantastic diving there. But if you head to Homestead and dive the national park, or on down to the Keys, or drive up to Ft Lauderdale area or Boca/Delray/Boynton, you'll find the dive ops AND the diving to be delightful. And its all within an hour of glitterville.

Now for sightseeing & people watching, you can't do better than South Beach!

I have live in Miami since 1981. I know some excellent operators here and some that I don't like so much. I dive from Palm Beach to the Keys on a regular basis, pretty much every weekend. My problem is much more the divers than the operators but we have our share of better and worse.

There are great places to stay and lousy ones all up and down the coast. I live less than three miles from South Beach. I love it during the week but try not to set foot there on weekends. Then again, I am not on vacation.

Miami has some great wrecks but I think that the reefs are pretty marginal especially when compared to Palm Beach County. There are great wrecks all up and down the coast of Florida with many being concentrated in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. It all depends on what you like.

This can be a tough town. I love to travel but I love calling this home. Everyday, there are people from all over the world, standing out in front on my building, having pictures taken of their trip to the other side of the world which happens to be just beyond my doorstep.

yukoneer:
Thanks for the replies and in case you all were wondering, me and my buddy are staying in the del mar castillo resort on Miami Beach from Feb 28 - March 5th.

The package of hotel + round trip airfare from rochester, ny + fullsize car rental was $550 for the entire week (each).

Where's shore diving in pompano? I'm also interested in those dive trips under $65 a day, we might do that for 2 days...

Since you are coming so far already, unless you really need to save money, it is not worth it to drive 45 minutes from where you will be staying to to a beach dive. Yes, there are regulars that do it here but it pretty much sucks. Blow your vacation bucks and just go out on the dive boats. You will be happier and the dives will be much better.

yukoneer:
thanks WV Diver. by the way, I reside in Lost Creek, WV - not too far from you! I am in rochester, ny for college now.

Hey, no problem. I know the Lost Creek area pretty well. It's tough to find local divers in our area. If you are looking for a dive buddy in the spring or summer let me know.

What are you studying?

There's fantastic boat diving out of Key Largo. I drove each day from Ft. Lauderdale. It was worth the trip. I dove with Silent World and they have a website. They run a two-tank trip in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have heard nothing but good things about their operation, although there are other good ones around. Have fun.

bump.

i still need advice on good dive vendors in the Miami area. The problem is that we're diving during the week, not on a weekend - so... its making the search a bit tougher.

Enjoy the Cuban food!

I will be flying in to FLL on 2-25-05 for a weekend dive trip to Key Largo , I was wondering which rental agency has the better deals on cars? I too am looking for a low budget dive trip. Not sure where Lost Creek is but I am from the Cabin creek area originally. I am in Michigan now...

Thanks guys,
Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom