I did it, I bought lights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
:D yes, I did it finally..... I ordered lights and they should be here next week. So in Roatan next month I should be able to do some night video for the first time (other than holding a flashlight!) :D Since I have the Ikelite housing, I decided to get the Ikelite light setup, 100w. Just one for now, I may add a second one later on once I upgrade my camcorder to HD next year. I am really looking forward to using it for night dives and maybe even day dives when up close. I'll be able to do 4-5 dives per day so I have plenty of time to practice with it. :D

robin
3 weeks til CoCoView!

Congratulations Robin !

Night dives look great on video. The colors should pop with your lights. Looking forward to seeing your vids.

Bravo for you, can't wait to see some of your work! I just got a camcorder and will be using it on our trip to T&C... we leave in the morning!

Robin

I also dive with an ikelite housing and have been thinking about the Ikelite light setup. I was just in Cozumel and used an UK light cannon attached to the housing with ultralight control system arm. I thought it was on the heavy side, even with removing the weight from the bottom of the housing, hopefully that won't be the case for you. Looking forward to a report on the light setup and video.

100 watts? Don't you know there's an energy crisis out there?

Seriously, I think you'll find this will allow you to create some even more spectacular video. I've been out of the water since the middle of last month because I didn't properly seat the plug on my battery charger port and flooded my video light battery. Sniff.

thanks everybody, I am pretty stoked! We love night dives and since we can do as many as we want at CCV I am thinking it is a very good investment, plus it will be a great opportunity for me to learn to use the lights. :D

I did try to use a handheld flashlight a few times on night dives and it was so awkward plus had a hotspot that wasn't pleasant. I am hoping this will be a huge improvement.... we'll see! :D

I will definitely post a report about how I like/dislike the lights when I get back for those of you other Ikelite people. I will try to do some tests to post and show you also. :D

robin:D
3 weeks!

light package arrived Wednesday by UPS. :D
Last night I set it up and today took some pictures to share.
IkeliteHousing_with_light021.JPG

The housing weighted base comes off and the battery pack attaches in its place. It takes about 5 minutes and the use of a phillips head screw driver. Very nice!
IkeliteHousing_with_light025.JPG

Since the housing and lights are both made by Ikelite, everything fits together very well. The housing tray arms are made to accept the light on left and switch unit on right.

IkeliteHousing_with_light023.JPG

I won't be using this until we get to Roatan Nov 15th-22nd, but I think I will really enjoy it. :D

I would suggest a buoyancy test before heading off on your trip. I've had to add floats for all the lights I've used to keep neutral buoyancy.

Have fun, I don't get to go diving until the week after Christmas in Roatan....

I would suggest a buoyancy test before heading off on your trip. I've had to add floats for all the lights I've used to keep neutral buoyancy.

Have fun, I don't get to go diving until the week after Christmas in Roatan....

According to the Ikelite website it should be slightly negative. Since they are both Ikelite, I am going to trust them that they have the weighting correct. The light battery fits right in place of the base (which has a lead weight in it). Feeling it above water, it does seem at least 1-2 lbs heavier, but who knows what that means underwater. :D

My only real concern with the light rig is whether to take it off and only use it specific dives or should I leave it mounted on all the time, even though it isn't being used? It only take 5-10 minutes to take it off, but ...... What do the rest of you do? Do you leave your lights mounted on the housing for EVER dive, or do you just hook them up for specific dives? Night dives only?
I like using my red filter for distant shots, WA shots, etc. but I am sure close-ups with the lights would be much better. The battery will only last about 25 minutes on full charge and takes a couple of hours to recharge. Ideally I would like to buy a second battery that I can have recharging while I am out diving and swap them out. But that is too expensive for right now.

robin:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom