I don't get the wrist mount.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For lobstering,spearfishing and photography the wrist mount is less than desirable.It'll work but I always clip off my SPG on my shoulder D-ring anyway so when I add a short console it's no great change.I can read my computer very esasily with a glance not having to move my arms which are encumbered with either speargun,tickle stick,catch bag,stringer or camera &strobe.That being said my other B/T is a Uwatec Digital wrist mount.

I'm also a convert to wrist units, having switched from a console on a retractor. Use and ergonomics of compass and computers are greatly improved, especially when ascending and when navigating at speed. Having my compass on the console would have forced me to stop and drop out of horizontal trim.

Using a DIR-style SPG is a pain, though. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's annoyingly difficult to reclip the SPG to the ACB-mounted left D-ring while wearing heavy gloves. I can't view the SPG without unclipping, so I'm thinking of adding back the retractor.

Comments, suggestions?

I was talking with the equipment guy at my LDS about console vs. wrist mount, and he cited the possibility that someone (esp inexperienced divers like me) are likely to remove a wrist-mounted device and accidently forget about it when packing up. That's his main reason for preferring a console.

He did have a rather interesting solution to the problem of having the console being on the wrong side for ascents. He said that some people like the console coming off the right side, and the octo coming out the left side of the 1st stage. Except for the fact that you had better let your buddy know that your gear is set up this way, are there any drawbacks?
Comments? I'm tempted to try this configuration the next time I go out.

Originally posted by metridium

Using a DIR-style SPG is a pain, though. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's annoyingly difficult to reclip the SPG to the ACB-mounted left D-ring while wearing heavy gloves. I can't view the SPG without unclipping, so I'm thinking of adding back the retractor.

Comments, suggestions?

Keep practicing... I echo your sentiments metridium... a huge pain in the ... But each dive and unclip and clip gets easier and easier. Don't give up just yet; I haven't! Also... make sure the SS clip you are using is quality. I just replaced mine as my original sucked.

Originally posted by metridium

Comments, suggestions?

If you are going to be using heavy gloves a lot, get a larger boltsnap. Take your gloves with you when you go shopping for them. That way you can see if they are easy to operate with your gloves on.

The annoying part is the way the D-ring keeps folding back and 'disappearing'. Practice, practice, practice.....

I started out with the boltsnap connected at the junction of hose and metal SPG. I later moved it back along the hose about 4" in an effort to increase visibility....no great improvement, though.

Where should it connect?

Thanks! I'll move it back to that position and resume practice.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom