I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 3 hp compressor wigged out on me when the hose to the unloader valve blew. It was a cheap pump, so I upgraded both motor and compressor to 5hp. The compressor can handle a lot more cfm too. 11 cfm @ 125psi. I'm replacing the hose for the unloader with all copper. I have drilling steel, especially 1/4" plate with a hand drill, so I got the magnetic drill press I've long wanted. I'm impressed, and my Grand Nephew was able to set up and drill the holes like an old pro from the git-go. He's never drilled in steel before, and he made it look easy. The four holes were drilled in less time it would have taken me to do one with a hand drill.

1707593590676.png

FWIW, my back is still toast. My Grand Nephew still has a strong back and was able to do all the lifting. I'm getting another injection tomorrow. Let's hope it does the trick.

Oh man, this is magnificent

I'll just have to grab my video of Catch Me If You Can and work out how I can wangle getting over there

But visitors are always welcome

Yeah drilling steel freehand, it's best when the bit catches the job, and tries to snap your wrist off
and burning and blunting all your bits until there are none so then it's the grinder for sharpening

Ain't the Pacific Ocean grand

Ha ha ah ah ah ah a a...............

Thanks for all you do chief and thanks for all you don't do

Oh man, this is magnificent
It was pretty anti-climactic. Getting it aligned and ready to drill was the hardest part. Tapping the base with a dead blow worked best to micro-adjust the positioning. A bit of drill wax on each flute of the drill and 15 seconds later a nice clean hole appeared. Expecting things to be a tad off, I was expecting to use 5/16" bolts in the 3/8" holes. I was elated when the 3/8" bolts slipped right in with little fuss. The belts are on, and it looks like the pulleys are nicely aligned. All that's left is to fill the compressor with oil and plumb in the unloader valve and the compressor. I think we have all the bits needed to finish her up this morning. I really hate not having air in the shop. This will allow me to use my new plasma cutter in building projects for around the property.

In related news, no we don't have the bits we need to finish this project today. They'll arrive early to mid-week. Grrrrrr!

In related news, no we don't have the bits we need to finish this project today. They'll arrive early to mid-week. Grrrrrr!

I've joked that two thirds of a DIY project is going to the hardware store for all the crap you didn't get on your initial trip to start the project.

I'm of the "Buy everything you can possibly need and return what you don't use" camp. Which cuts it down from two thirds to half.
Me too, but there are a few things I anticipated wrongly. I am going on a different tangent now. The unloader valve hose failed. It's plastic, and it appears that I am stuck with that arrangement on this pressure switch. So, I've ordered a new 240V switch, and have rethought the way I'm plumbing the compressor to the pressure vessel as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom