I got bent and went to the chamber, but was I really bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvspoodles:
Hi Snowbear,
My last dive ended at about 1 pm on Friday and my first flight was at 3pm on Sunday. The pain in my arm started at around 9 pm on Sunday.

From this cowboy, with no medical training - my opinion...

The ear pains and dizziness can easily be connected to an ear infection - which has to be the most common malady discussed on SB.

Question: An arm that start hurting 56 hours after diving really cannot be connected to the diving, could it?

luvspoodles:
The next thing he sees is my breathing O2. You should have seen the look on his face!

So I tell the stewardessess that I need to call DAN. My arm just felt not right. And I am totally dizzy. I am freaking out, not breathing heavily, but my pulse is very high. But no one will call DAN, they want to call their own paramedics.

So the paramedics meet me at the airport and I tell them my symptoms, and they say that there is no way I could have DCS, I would be flailing about and almost dead. I said that is simply not true, but they would not believe me. So they take me to Kaiser Oakland, and they put the intravenous line right on the pain in my right arm, so now I no longer know if my arm still hurts or if it is just the nail sized needle in my arm.

Here I am now, depressed and feeling like my husband ought to drive me right over to the nuthouse. Maybe I got so freaked out about my ear popping and told myself that the bubble had moved (not possible I found out) that I imagined the DCS? And I was on about 6 different drugs at the time...maybe I went crazy?

Maybe the barotrauma in my ears and the popping caused the extreme dizzyness? Now I feel like I should never dive again, and I am so sad, because diving is the one thing that has given me self-confidence over the last year and a half.
Anyway, I will give you some details that I know will be asked.

I did stay hydrated during the dive days (although probably not enough) There were times when I should have drank more water.

I stopped drinking water after my last dive and had my first alcoholic drink of the week. I didn't know at the time that I could still be at risk of DCS after my diving is done.

One day the ocean was so rough that I did have to jump from the boat onto the pier, and I hurt my legs, but I could have hurt my arms as well.
So what I would like to know from you is...

Have any of you had the DCS and then rationalized it afterward, telling yourself that it really didn't happen?

Now my other arm hurts-is it possible for the bubbles to move even after 2 chamber rides when the arm didn't even hurt in the first place and its been 5 days since my last dive?

I worry I may have a PFO. Is it common for people to get only 1 hit and not get hit again? My doctor says that if I have a hit again I should get checked for a PFO. Is my diving over?

How do I regain my sanity? I am a teacher, and I need to go back to work. My ears still hurt a alot and I am dizzy(I am guessing from the barotrauma).

Last, how many cases of DCS really are just sore muscles? Do you think I could have just hyperventilated and made it up?
Anyway, if any of you are still with me after this loooong post I still appreciate it. Thank you so much for your time.

Luvs Poodles,

I would like to chime in with a couple of thoughts, if I may. As a preface, I will make the standard disclaimer that while I am a certififed Diver Medic Technician, and am trained in hyperbaric work, I am not a Physician, and my opinions are not to be construed as diagnoses.

First, it has been some time since your first post. I know that you have been in contact with DAN. Please be advised that they are the BEST generally available source for information regarding divers and DCS, and/or diving related health problems. If you dive, and you do not have DAN membership and insurance, you are making a very serious mistake, period.

Second, diver DENIAL of DCS as a possible reason for symptoms is NORMAL. There are a lot of reasons for this, and not enough time to go into all of them. Just accept that it is normal for us to deny the possibility.

Third, as a pilot for a major airline, possibly even the one you were flying on, I can tell you that our procedures for handling medical emergencies in the air are set and established. The flight attendants are simply NOT allowed to deviate from those procedures. Unfortunately, calling DAN is not part of the procedure.

Fourth, most paramedics and most physicians are not trained in hyperbaric medicine and treatment of DCS. That is just the way it is. You CANNOT depend on them to make the right decisions IF DCS IS ACTUALLY INVOLVED. That is why it is vitally important to have the resources of DAN available. See number one above.

Fifth, you are NOT crazy! You did quite a few things that were right, and then some things that were not so right, but you were not fully informed of the correct procedures.

Sixth, pain from barotrauma and infections of the middle ear can cause much distress, including dizziness, among other things.

Seventh, bubbles do not typically move around UNLESS they are moving through the venous or arterial blood systems, as you seem to have found out.

Eighth, the statistics vary, but a significant fraction of the population does have asymptomatic PFO's. The test to determine if you have one is invasive, and does carry a certain amount of risk.

I hope that this will have answered at least some of your questions, and given you some assurance.

Cheers!

Rob Davie
DMT
IANTD I.T.
Assoc. Member UHMS

P.S.---Other than talking to the folks at DAN, you will find advice on this board from such people as Doc Deco, Doc Saturation, and Doc Vikingo. These folks know an awful lot about the subjects of DCS, and diving medicine. You cannot get better advice than what they have to offer.

R

Aside from the issue at hand I'd like to compliment you on this post. It's well writen, engaging and hilarious ..... and to that end I just have to have a poke at it..... (I hope you take this in the spirit in which it was intended) :eyebrow:

luvspoodles:
My husband were diving for 6 days in Cozumel last week.

LOL...Do you mean

- "my husbands" were diving
- "my husband" WAS diving
or is Huckleberry-Fin a close relative?

I talked to some people and they said that it was probably swimmers ear, so I dove.

LOL.....these are the same people who say on those hot Cozumel nights....."HELL NOOOOO...YOU'RE NOT DRUNK.....HAVE ANOTHER......."

....... The pain gets so bad that we call the first doctor and he says to go get a better painkiller,

You just gotta love Mexico. My father has an expression for this..... "This problem needs a bigger hammer".

so we go to the corner 7-11 type place and buy a better painkiller (according to the girl at the counter who also sells chips, donuts, cola...)

LOOLL.... that, my dear, was a pharmacist's apprentice. The pharmacist is also easy to recognize. That's the one selling diapers, shower-caps and nasal spray that can clear the nostrils of a congested camel from 50 yards away......

meanwhile....rivited to my seat......
and suddenly my right ear pops and I feel absolutely NO PAIN.

:11:

Then I start to notice a dull pain in my arm, in the elbow joint.
:eek:

Then my arm starts to tingle. It is funny because my husband is watching a movie a couple of seats in front of me and I tell him that I think I have DCS,
LOL.....I've always wanted to try this as an opening line but I've been too shy..... :)

and that I must have had a air bubble in my ear that moved to my arm and he tells me to relax (He knows I'm a little bit of crazy).
LOOOLL.....no telling where he got THAT idea, huh.....

<<serious mode=on>>
The next thing he sees is my breathing O2. You should have seen the look on his face! So I tell the stewardessess that I need to call DAN. My arm just felt not right. And I am totally dizzy. I am freaking out, not breathing heavily, but my pulse is very high. But no one will call DAN, they want to call their own paramedics. So the paramedics meet me at the airport and I tell them my symptoms, and they say that there is no ....snip....

OK.....This part of your post made me realize how freaked you must have been.

Now I feel like I should never dive again, and I am so sad, because diving is the one thing that has given me self-confidence over the last year and a half.

OK, now I know for sure you're freaked.......

-Do you think I could have been so crazy from the ear barotrauma that I made it all up in my mind?

No. It was something. Even if it was generated in your mind it was still something.

-I worry I may have a PFO. Is it common for people to get only 1 hit and not get hit again? My doctor says that if I have a hit again I should get checked for a PFO. Is my diving over?

why on earth would your diving be over?

I am a teacher, and I need to go back to work. My ears still hurt a alot and I am dizzy(I am guessing from the barotrauma).
And you think your students will notice the difference.....?

-Have any of you had the barotrauma, and what symptoms has it given you?
I've had a pressure imbalance (or barotrauma) in my ears when I had an inner ear infection after getting a bad cold and taking a bunch of Mexican decongestants made for clearing camel nostrils..... I was dizzy (and dry) for months, especially when laying down. I could sort of 1/2 clear my ears and at one point when the doctor was talking about puncturing eardrums to "see if that helped" I got desperate for a better solution and I went diving. The pressure difference worked like little ear clearing toilet plungers. I wouldn't suggest trying this but in my case it started things flowing and all kinds of really nasty gunk came out of my ears and it was over in a few weeks after that......

R..

Don't give up on diving!! I'm just curious, I'm an overweight male diver. Thinking back to a really hectic weekend of 5 dives, about tuesday my right arm was very sore.(It's a lot of hard work diving) Is it possible after 14 dives, after the excitement of the ear problem went away, the soreness identified itself?( and it was normal soreness? ) I can relate to the ear pain, I had an eardrum lanced to relieve pressure, ouch, ouch, ouch! It was not from diving. Don't be hard on yourself, keep diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chris hecker:
Don't give up on diving!! I'm just curious, I'm an overweight male diver. Thinking back to a really hectic weekend of 5 dives, about tuesday my right arm was very sore.(It's a lot of hard work diving) Is it possible after 14 dives, after the excitement of the ear problem went away, the soreness identified itself?( and it was normal soreness? ) I can relate to the ear pain, I had an eardrum lanced to relieve pressure, ouch, ouch, ouch! It was not from diving. Don't be hard on yourself, keep diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, you certainly could be right! I don't think I would have noticed if I had a pin in my eye because the pain in my ears was so horrendous! But what really freaks me out is if I go diving again, will I think that every pain is DCS? I am such a high anxiety person (my husband will second me on that) that I shouldn't be allowed to engage in such a serious activity.

luvspoodles:
Hi Dr. Deco,
What exactly do you mean by this?

I think what he's referring to is that not many people give a second thought to exertion after a dive.. switching out tanks, climbing the ladder... etc. He's saying that heavy exertion is bad.

For example, a local shop owner in my area got bent on a trip. He didn't think anything of hauling up the anchor after his dives until he laid down in his rack and started to feel the pain set in.

Snowbear:
As a medic, if I was presented with a 28yo female c/o Left elbow pain, I would ask a whole lot more questions before considering a cardiac origin. Especially when chief complaint is actually a diving-related barotrauma after a week of aggressive dives, then a plane ride.

There are still many unanswered questions here....

Like I pointed out I had no age or anything else to work with here. Ive seen too many red herrings over the years. Just someone says it's all related, it may not be. I though you would know better.

Wildcard:
Like I pointed out I had no age or anything else to work with here. Ive seen too many red herrings over the years. Just someone says it's all related, it may not be. I though you would know better.
Her age was indicated in her profile. :crafty:

Like I look at everyones profile.
If it looks like a horse and sounds like a horse it's prolly a horse, but every once in a while it's a zebra. My point being it was a consideration. There are a lot of out of shape divers out there who go on vacation and over do everything. I rule out the most serious stuff first then move on.

Back
Top Bottom