I got bent and went to the chamber, but was I really bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie:
Certainly don't give up diving...
Stuff happens. Recognizing where something went wrong and taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again is part of building self confidence. Thanksgiving weekend, I got the unique opportunity of not paying enough attention to changing conditions while submerged, ascended in a (long) surf zone accidentally and promptly experienced what it was like to get thrown on rocks and pounded into them by waves until your buddy rescues you. I screwed up, learned some lessons, and got lucky. No chamber ride in the world cures a broken neck. But I'll still dive. Next weekend, to be exact.

Onto your issues, I'm not a doctor, so take anything I say with a grain of salt. I've done various things related to diving that have caused muscle aches. Determining whether something is worrisome is a judgment call, and it's best to err on the side of caution, as has been pointed out.

Now my ears pose a problem for me, not really with diving, but with being extraordinarily sensitive to equilibrium. As a result, when anything goes wrong with my ears, or if my equilibrium is screwed up, say by being on a boat, I am instantly miserable. Pressure changes seem to be absolutely fine so long as they are bilateral.

I haven't had dive-related barotrauma, but I have had an untreated ear infection. I realized it when I was watching Dark City in the theater, tried to run to the bathroom to throw up, and literally could not walk in a straight line. My head was spinning, I was listing badly to one side and I felt like I was going to pass out. I also know that the pain in my ear and head and the nausea the feeling was inducing was sufficient that if I'd had a gunshot wound to the leg, I wouldn't have felt it.

It sounds like you had some really hideous stuff going on with your ear. With a slightly iffy dive profile, again, caution is best, but from personal experience, I can tell you that nasty ear problems can cause a real downward spiral. If the pain had subsided or disappeared (and the sudden popping could easily cause an equilibrium shift), it might have made you more aware of a pain in your arm.

Relax. People screw up and accidents happen. If you quit or beat yourself over something, what have you accomplished? If you learn from things that happen and use the gained knowledge to improve future situations, it makes you a better person.

You are right Ishie! It sure feels like the barotrauma caused a nasty downward spiral. I have never felt anything more painful in my life, and I've even had kidney stones (lots of them!) Friday and Saturday night I just sat in my hotel bed and cried...and by the time the airplane ride came around on Sunday evening I felt like I had gone insane. It now just seems like a blur. I have been achy all over for the past few days, and I am definitely noticing it now that the barotrauma is getting better. I wonder if I am just sore from all of the diving and walking around that I did? I feel like a real fool...I feel sorry for those people on Continental who had to sit by me while I was on the O2. And did I mention for some very odd reason we were in first class? Those people probably demanded their money back! Anyway, thanks so much for the encouragement.

alaity47:
Luvspoodles -

The ear popping could DEFINITELY have caused the dizziness. Happens to me all the time, especially when I have a cold, blow my nose, and inadvertently ValSalva - makes me a bit wobbly for a few seconds. Doesn't usually last very long, though.

If only I had realized this before that plane ride. Maybe I wouldn't have thought that the dizzyness was related to DCS. That is what scared me the most was the dizzyness.

luvspoodles:
If only I had realized this before that plane ride. Maybe I wouldn't have thought that the dizzyness was related to DCS. That is what scared me the most was the dizzyness.
I didn't mention in my previous post, the dizzyness goes hand in hand with ear trauma,(at least in my case it did) I was more worried about the soreness,(in your arm.) After your ear, "popped." The pressure is relieved! I just cringe when I think of the pain! When you said you were laying on the bed crying,I can definately relate, it's the worst pain i've ever experenced.(I've been through a lot.) In fact the doc told me this is why little kids with ear infections cry so much, and so hard. Made me re-think some stuff. Hope you re-think the "no diving." I'm sure you'll come around!!, PLEASE!!!! :06:

luvspoodles:
I feel sorry for those people on Continental who had to sit by me while I was on the O2. And did I mention for some very odd reason we were in first class?

So, it was my airline. Did you read my note about the procedures?

Rob

BigJetDriver69:
So, it was my airline. Did you read my note about the procedures?

Rob

I did read the note about the procedures. The sterwardessess were actually wonderful with me. I didn't even have to get her attention. She saw in my face that something was wrong, came right over, and helped me right away. Both of them were very nice. I didn't even have to ask her for the O2. She brought it out after calling a doctor. And she said that we didn't have to worry about paying for the paramedics, that Contintental pays for everything. I was very impressed. I guess we were just wishing that we had called DAN from the plane. We regretted it. But as I see from your post they wouldn't have allowed us to do it? That makes me feel better. What impressed me the most was that they took me seriously. They asked if a doctor was on board, got me some Tylenol. Definitely very good service. I still don't know how I got on first class (surely we didn't deserve to be there)!

I can relate to your ear pain. Last time I had an ear infection, it was a dozy. I was home sick for 3 days, and I wouldn't even go to the bathroom without my ear drops in hand.

Although I've always known to use alcohol, "Swimmers Ear," or an alcohol/vinegar mix every day after diving,, now - I remember to use it!

Was the sore arm DCS 50 hours after diving? Doubt it, but you did the right thing. When in doubt, ask for help.

Will you dive again? I certainly hope so, and soon. Will you be nervous? Probably.

I hope you'll plan on calling DAN as often as you feel like it - 2 or 3 times shortly before you go, and every day afterward until you feel confident again.

luvspoodles:
I guess we were just wishing that we had called DAN from the plane. We regretted it. But as I see from your post they wouldn't have allowed us to do it? That makes me feel better. What impressed me the most was that they took me seriously. They asked if a doctor was on board, got me some Tylenol. Definitely very good service. I still don't know how I got on first class (surely we didn't deserve to be there)!

I know that folks see my avatar, but it seems that a lot of people don't read the personal profiles, because I see that comment mentioned a lot.

Just as an info note, I fly Continental's flagship 777 out of both Houston and Newark on overseas flights, such as (in no particular order) those going to Japan, China, Hong Kong, France, England, Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands. We very rarely operate the big bird on domestic routes.

Our medical procedures work like this:

When our Flight Attendants are notified that there is a problem they (1) notify the cockpit and (2) utilize the Sat-com to call our medical service. That service is a medical group called Med-link. We have contracted for 24/7 service with them. Their on-call doctor advises us as to what course of action is best.

We also carry an extended medical kit and an AED. The medical kit can be released for use by physicians, and medics. Our crews are trained in the use of the AED.

While we cannot call DAN for you, most of our aircraft have air-to-ground public use phones. You would certainly be welcome to call them and seek their advice, if needed.

I am one of the few pilots with the requisite medical training to accept and utilize the medical kit, but the rules of engagement will not allow me to leave the cockpit to assist, thanks to some scum from al-Queda!

I am glad our folks were able to assist you so well, and I am sorry that your trip in Business-First was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We are, I believe, justly proud of our service. We try hard to take care of the folks!!! :daisysmil

Barotrauma induced infection is relatively rare but it does happen because the injury produced exudate in the middle ear serves as a good opportunity for the ever present bacterias to start the invasion. I believe antiinflamatory drugs were not the proper choice as majority of those drugs might promote bleeding in already fragile ear. The proper initial treatment would involve rest, lot of yawning (not 'valsalving'!) and eventually some decongestants (for example: Pseudoephedrine 60mg 3 times daily). When pain started to develop, potent broad spectrum antibiotics should have been introduced and in the case of severe pain a myringotomy (surgical incision of the eardrum) should have been performed. Flying was not the best idea because considerable rest of the both injured and infected ear was very much needed. The sudden pop and pain relief can mean the ear drum perforation which is commonly seen in acute otitis media. Even though middle ear barotrauma and even consequent infection most often does not produce vestibular (inner ear) symptoms it is possible to feel dizzy due to some inner ear involvement but also due to the general toxemic syndrome from a bad infection. One thing is certain: there can not be any bubble which jumps from your ear to your elbow. It seems that the more vivid the bubble-thoughts are the less likely there is some bubble present at all...bent divers usually live in denial. (this of course is just one naive observation and not the rule to exclude the DCI) Onset of elbow pain during the flight even though it sounds very DCS-ish was most likely something else as it happens quite a while after your last dive (still possible though) and eventual onset of pain would much more likely happen already on the first flight. Onset of pain in another arm after chamber treatment is almost certainly non bubble related (well, i hope they used O2 table). Something else was more than likely responsible for that aching like for example general toxemic syndrome from infection, dehydration, trauma, hyperventilation....
Your further fitness to dive depends mainly on how good your ear infection heals and of course how strong was the negative psychological impact of the whole misadventure. Keep the spirit! The likelihood that there was some DCS in the whole story seems to be remote but you could have the hole in your right eardrum which might need some time or even surgery before you go diving again.

Diving doc's '50-50-90' rule: if there is a 50-50 chance that we could be right there is a 90% probability that we are going to be wrong!

Back
Top Bottom