I have 2 scubapro regs: mk25/s700 chrome vs mk25/s600 - which one will you keep?....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the thread, I am actually considering buying either M25/s600 or the A700.. I know the a700 is a little heavier, but not having tried either, I don't know how much I can feel the difference. Does the features of the newer 700, outweigh that of the 600. Upgrading form a Z2

I doubt in the water the additional weight of the A700 would be an issue. I'm not sure moving from a Z2 to either of those models is necessarily an upgrade. I doubt very much you'd be able to tell the difference breathing off any of them. Now wanting a new toy though I get. If I had money to burn I'd likely choose the A700 over the S600 just because it's all metal.

Does the features of the newer 700, outweigh that of the 600.

Here is a link to a ScubaPro manual on their regs. There are not many feature differences between the regs. I think ScubaPro see them both as cold water regs.
http://www.scubapro.com/media/278414/scubapro_regulators-eng.pdf

One consideration is that the s600 uses many parts common to other Scubapro regs, particularly G500, s550, s555, s360, s560 but also the R series diaphragms and purge frames can fit. I don't have an a700 schematic (or own an a700) so don't know how compatible they are. Having common parts can save a dive if there is a failure. The older s600 has the plastic housing (balance chamber) and now have metal. I can't notice any difference in breathing.

The s600 in current and older forms has been around for many years and proved reliable. Unless there was a reason to go to the a700 then the s600 (or s560) are a reliable and easy to have serviced reg.

Last edited:
I doubt in the water the additional weight of the A700 would be an issue. I'm not sure moving from a Z2 to either of those models is necessarily an upgrade. I doubt very much you'd be able to tell the difference breathing off any of them. Now wanting a new toy though I get. If I had money to burn I'd likely choose the A700 over the S600 just because it's all metal.

So you don't think the a700 is an upgrade over atomic z2. Seems the build quality is better (metal over plastic). And performs better in extreme environments (cold water as well as warm). even though i only dive in tropical warm water (except for some training dives in the lakes in fall/winter. I presumed based on the comments I've seen from people re: breathing it's magnificent at all depths. And i presume there are also a lot of additional interworking features that are on the ScubaPro models that are not on the Z2 that make it more quality reg.

As I said, i'm not a tech, and i don't know a lot about the design of regs, but just looking at the specs for both it seems like A700/S600 may have more? Or maybe it's just more jargon saying the same thing LOL

Bottom line I sold my Z2 and i'm able to buy a new (discounted) M25/A700 for just $200 more or M25/S600 for just over $100 more. In my mind I thought I was getting a good upgrade deal getting a higher quality 1st and 2nd stage for only $200.

A little OT about the Parts for Life.

I have a Scubapro 250, and it came with an earlier version of parts for life. Bought late 1990's.

When I moved, the new shop I started doing business with wasn't a ScubaPro dealer and would send it to another shop. Suddenly, after 10 years, "parts for life," became "parts for life if you have receipts from all your previous service so we know it was done annually." C'mon, even the IRS doesn't expect you to keep receipts for 14 years.

I'm not sure if I should just chalk it up to 12 years of free parts, or I should be ticked off because Scubapro weaseled out of honoring their warranty.

Still, I love my 250 and will dive with it to the day I hang up my fins.

Thanks for the thread, I am actually considering buying either M25/s600 or the A700.. I know the a700 is a little heavier, but not having tried either, I don't know how much I can feel the difference. Does the features of the newer 700, outweigh that of the 600. Upgrading form a Z2

I don't understand why you want to get rid of the Z2 for either of the SP regulators if you are basing it on performance. The Z2 is a top breathing regulator. If you are going to be diving in colder water, you can still get the Z2 first stage sealing kit no problem. If the Z2 is tuned to factory specs, you have a very top regulator.

(I am not saying that the SP regulators are bad or less performance than the Atomic at all but they aren't "better" either).

A little OT about the Parts for Life.

I have a Scubapro 250, and it came with an earlier version of parts for life. Bought late 1990's.

When I moved, the new shop I started doing business with wasn't a ScubaPro dealer and would send it to another shop. Suddenly, after 10 years, "parts for life," became "parts for life if you have receipts from all your previous service so we know it was done annually." C'mon, even the IRS doesn't expect you to keep receipts for 14 years.

I'm not sure if I should just chalk it up to 12 years of free parts, or I should be ticked off because Scubapro weaseled out of honoring their warranty.

Still, I love my 250 and will dive with it to the day I hang up my fins.

I think you're getting fed some BS here. The LDS tech does the SP warranty and PFL online. All he/she needs to do is go on the SP website and put in the last name and serial number. SP's website keeps track of it. Unless it was not done within the time period or not entered into the SP website, you should not have to show receipts.

ETA: PM me your last name and serial number and I'll see what SP website says (if you want).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom