I have the opportunity to purchase a Nikonos V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey once bubbled...

Comments on that...If we decided NOT to go the Nik V route, what are everyones thoughts on using her SLR (I forget the model) in a housing vs. using a made for underwater use SLR.

Can I get some feedback on those options?

Knavey

I believe there is only one SLR made specifically for use underwater, which is the Nikonos RS. But they don't make them anymore - Nikon discontinued them in 1996, after only manufacturing them for 4 years. People who have used them love them, so they can only be found on E-Bay sometimes, go pretty quickly and are not cheap.

(Want one!! Ah well, when I win the lottery).

Hello,

So we've covered the differences between consumer and professional but failed to mentioned that the nikonos is a professional camera. Often times the lines are blurred and the differences are forgotten in the fog.

Ed

As you read, only u/w SLR was Nikonos RS--VERY expensive. I've used some borrowed housed SLRs and for me (the impatient non-pro), they were great, as long as there was enough light (not always the case in a plankton bloom or under the kelp in Monterey) for the autofocus. Spotting light helps. But then my framing was visible through the lens and with zoom I could fill the frame with small critters who otherwise would have zipped away and which I could never get with my macro framer on the MMII--e.g. gobies and other small fish. Great cameras are inexpensive (or already owned) but the housings are costly (though nowhere near the RS). And there's that wait for developing....I was ready to splurge for one, given my previously mentioned limitations, until I saw what digital video could do, and I got sucked into that. Now I'm ready to go back to stills, and am looking strictly at digital setups.

kelpdiver once bubbled...
Now I'm ready to go back to stills, and am looking strictly at digital setups.

Although I am quite happy with my Nikonos V, there is always a next camera in my future. I feel in a few years, digital cameras will have evolved to the point that I could favor them over film.

Housings scare me. I looked at a few for my N90 but the need for flood insurance scared me away.

Having full control and being required to exercise it for every shot makes you really good at using available light for background and flash for fill. It's nice to walk before you run.

The way I'm using the camera right now, is on the road to that.

I am setting the shutter to 1/60 for manual, or 1/90 if I use the aperture priority mode. I set the distance between 3 and 5 feet. Then I pick an f-stop when I get on the bottom. The TTL strobe setting seems to work fine but I am next going to experiment with 1/2 and 1/4 fill and bracketing by changing the asa setting. This is great fun to do, not a chore.

I just have to be careful to watch the time so I bought a dive computer that will beep. IMHO required for U/W Photographers.

Eric

Rent before you buy.
Stick your toe in the water and see if you like it - EBAY is filled with U/W photogropher sellers that decided it wasn't for them

I took two UW photo courses in 1990 and alternated renting a Nik V and UW video. I found that my success rate with the very good condition Nik V/SB-105 was about 2-3 photos per roll and soon decided that the National Geographic photos made UW photography seem far more easier than I had anticipated and dropped UW photography for 7 years.

IF POSSIBLE RENT A DIGITAL CAMERA/HOUSING/STROBE BEFORE BUYING
Digital has a MUCH FASTER learning curve because you can see what you just shot, learn from the mistakes and shoot again.

Digital will also save you the $5-$10 of each film purchase and development cost.

daytona,

Why does housings scare you? It it because of flood insurance? If that's the case most all underwater cameras would benefit from flood insurance, housed and non-housed alike.

What you need to do is decide what type of u/w photo's you are planning on doing; consumer, semi-pro or pro. Then buy the equipment for the need.

Ed

blacknet once bubbled...
daytona,

Why does housings scare you? It it because of flood insurance? If that's the case most all underwater cameras would benefit from flood insurance, housed and non-housed alike.

What you need to do is decide what type of u/w photo's you are planning on doing; consumer, semi-pro or pro. Then buy the equipment for the need.

Ed

I like using film so I bought a Nikonos and Nikon's SB-105.

Yes, Flood insurance seems to be standard for those with housed cameras. I'd just rather clean, inspect and grease the O-rings of my set-up each time I use it. The chance for a flood, with proper care should be minimal.

Regardless what I need, I buy what I want. Sometimes it makes life hard. However I always wanted a Nikonos and really enjoy it. Isn't that the whole point?

Eric

Taking photos of the Dee quality (or any of the other accomplished U/W photogs seen here) is not as easy as it looks.
You've taken the right first steps to ask, now I'd recommend taking classes, spend time searching your goals and laying out a budget (including maintenance).

Just buying a Nik V and going on a trip may be a dead end when you could spend the money on other things you might want. You also might be surprized at the time and expense that is required to maintain UW photo gear. Many Nik V buyers end up with the camera in the closet, rarely used.

[QUOTE[/B])
Just buying a Nik V and going on a trip may be a dead end when you could spend the money on other things you might want. You also might be surprized at the time and expense that is required to maintain UW photo gear. Many Nik V buyers end up with the camera in the closet, rarely used. [/B][/QUOTE]

Isn't this true of any camera? Remember, back in the 1980's and before, this type of camera was not unusual. People dialed them in without a second thought. Well, most did have rangefinders or were SLR's. My point is that the hobby of photography at that time required a knowledge of f-stops and shutter speeds.

Digital cameras are great for their own reasons. However even a digital can find it's way to the back of the closet.

Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom