I Just Canceled a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't ever make a dive that you don't feel comfortable doing it.

I personally think that you can make that dive, but probably not with an unknown insta-buddy.

I hate insta-buddy dives....Even if you could have done it perfect, consider that with some bad luck your buddy is the biggest idiot on earth.
135 feet (40+ meter??) I wouldn't do with an insta-buddy at all.
At everything more than 25 meter I want to have a buddy I can trust.

We have those little voices in our heads for a reason. Do the dive when you're more comfortable or better equipped (pony bottle, etc). Diving is only fun when you live to tell your story. It takes more "guts" to call a dive than it does to do something reckless.

135, no redundancy with an insta buddy.... I agree with your call. This is not the dive to go >100 FSW for the 2nd time.

I think you did the right thing to respect your training, gut instinct and obvious knowledge. You made an objective evaluation and the pieces just didn't fit together.

I'd suggest getting that redundant source, training with it and developing a buddy relationship with someone that has like goals. Something like "intro to deco" may be a good fit.

Pete

I want to do that dive, but, I do not have ..
the training for that depth (although AOW and a bunch of dives and dive planning to 100 feet)
do not have a regular buddy
do not have enough gas (HP100)

Thank you for letting us in on your thoughts leading up to your decision and for listening to that voice

Knowing when to call the dive is a thing that all too many people don't seem to practice.

In my work, anyone on the team can call a dive at any time for any reason period; end of story.

Good thinking and good call! I'd dive (or not dive) any day with someone like yourself.

Good call. Everybody I dive with has the same philosophy... if it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

Outstanding use of common sense. Seriously. And in my both personal and professional opinion it's something that isn't used NEARLY often enough in our sport by some people. I sincerely commend you for making the tough decison.

The P-38 is a fantastic dive and often one of the easier deep dives in S. California. But that being said, it is in an area conditions can change, making it challenging. Couple that with your discomfort and the way the mind plays tricks upon us when we are unsure of ourselves and you are just asking for a myriad of problems.

If you've not done so, take a deep specialty class. Honestly, this doesn't so much "certify" you to dive deep but will do a good job of familarizing you with the ins-&-outs associated with visiting this and my other sites like it safely. After that get some time in practicing with a buddy you can trust. You don't have to practice at 120ft. Simulate it on your normal, every day dives through out the region. Get in the habit of safety stops. Get in the habit of putting a time limit on your dive and sticking to it and all the other tips and limitations you'll be introduced to. Then work your way deeper incrementally so as to get used to how fast your cylinder is consumed at deeper depths and such. Take note of the length of time it takes you to safely ascend. Learn to factor all that into your personal dive planning.

But most importantly, keep listening to that little voice in the back of your head. It sounds like it will steer you the right course and keep you diving for many years!

Back
Top Bottom